General WTF Moments

Cogeno

So I called the University to book an appointment for seeing an advisor in getting my schedules done. They tell me that the earliest they can see me with booked appointments is one week from now, which is too late for me. But they said if I call on the same day I want to see an advisor or just walk in they can get me in within a few hours of the same day. Seriously? Drop-ins get first priority over reservations? That's a first for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well not the first time this happened but this time, it was ridiculous. 

I was waiting for the bus a block away from where I live. Once every while, I'd get some religious folks or someone promoting there cause and they want to talk about it until the bus arrives. That's already annoying enough but this time, someone was driving, stopped in the middle of the road, to give me a pamphlet about there cause. The most annoying thing was the bus was about 100ft behind them and the bus nearly missed me as this person was trying to discuss the message. I waved down the bus before it went around the parked car, and the person left right when I did. But I was annoyed. 

I don't have nothing against religion (I went back to having faith after being an atheist for nearly 10 Years) or people wanting to promote a cause. Just don't forcefully shove it in my face. Especially in the most inconsiderable times. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 11:12 AM, Greatcoinz said:

I don't have nothing against religion (I went back to having faith after being an atheist for nearly 10 Years) or people wanting to promote a cause. Just don't forcefully shove it in my face.

A guy at church calls that "Hitting you over the head with a ten-pound Bible.".

This happened a month ago, but still cracks me up. 

7:30am at the University, it's empty and quiet. I walk into the washroom, I see this kid doing something at the sinks. I first thought he was doing drugs, it turns out he was making what I presumed was a lava lamp for whatever. (You can make a lava lamp with oil and other household ingredients) I nearly asked him if he was making meth cause it looked so weird with all the stuff on the counter. He looks at me when I used the facilities, then packs it up and goes to the study areas. 

I guess that's the strangest thing I've encountered in University YET. 

• 3 weeks later...

This had to happen on 4/20! 

On my way to work, one stop before downtown, some guy gets on sits next to me on the Train. The guy is so baked that he can could barely stand up straight, walking with pants fell to his ankles and reeked of pot. I immediately walked to the other end of the train and stood until my stop. 

Funny enough, I expected more of these more incidences today. Only had one. Well who knows, I'm on a train as I write this. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Toronto this afternoon and saw a guy attempt to play chicken with a fire truck, but wrong. The truck sped by and the dude ran out into the road immediately after it passed, and then waltzed back onto the sidewalk as though he'd achieved some daring feat.

Seconds later, a car was passing by, and the dude ran out in to the road in front of that car. Fortunately, the car braked and only ended up hitting the bag that the dude was carrying, but he shouted at the car that there was a fire, and then continued to walk along the roadway, in the center line between two streetcar tracks. I thought about calling the police and reporting him for being such an idiot, but within 30 seconds he'd vanished from my view, so meh.

• Haha 1

Every single week, multiple times, without fail, I get a pre-recorded message from some fuckheads called Groupe Solutions Collect. It's a stunningly amateur pre-recorded message in which some woman says "this is a", stops, and then resumes the mssage by saying "Good day. This is a..." and then so on and so forth. I have no idea what they want from me, but the worst part about all this is that it goes immediately to voicemail - they never actually call me, so I can't block their number. This has been going on since the start of the year now and I have no idea how to make it stop.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:37 AM, Tom1122 said:

I just got a prerecorded call in Chinese on my cell phone. I don't speak Chinese.

I was subject to that same telemarketing scam. The voice in the most recent messages kept warning "this is your last chance" when it fact it was not - I have since blocked the number.

I'm still very upset to this day on how "scammers" are trying to scam you - whether it's through e-mail, text and most importantly - through telephone. What's even more - scammers are even find ways to "conceal" the phone number (and the call display/caller ID too)!

That's why I'm very afraid to pick up the phone whenever I see "unknown number"/"unknown caller" or "private number"/"private caller". Scammers can also slip through those cracks as well! There are some "legal" (yes, legal) situations in which you may see the unknown/private number. Imagine if a social worker who wanted to talk to you - or the hospital trying to tell you that your love one is in the ER. 

I have long removed my phone number(s) off the Canadian Do-Not-Call List (DNCL) - which has proven to be simply ineffective. Even though that my number is off the list, scammers can go through the cracks!

Just now, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

I'm still very upset to this day on how "scammers" are trying to scam you - whether it's through e-mail, text and most importantly - through telephone. What's even more - scammers are even find ways to "conceal" the phone number (and the call display/caller ID too)!

That's why I'm very afraid to pick up the phone whenever I see "unknown number"/"unknown caller" or "private number"/"private caller". Scammers can also slip through those cracks as well! There are some "legal" (yes, legal) situations in which you may see the unknown/private number. Imagine if a social worker who wanted to talk to you - or the hospital trying to tell you that your love one is in the ER. 

I have long removed my phone number(s) off the Canadian Do-Not-Call List (DNCL) - which has proven to be simply ineffective. Even though that my number is off the list, scammers can go through the cracks!

Chinese Embassy scam calls. Those are the best.

1 hour ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

Not just those Chinese Embassy scams, but the infamous "duct cleaning services" calls from India!

Got one this morning. First time I picked one up myself, and I simply said we always call when we need such a service and do not need them to call us, goodbye. ?

1 hour ago, Transit geek said:

Got one this morning. First time I picked one up myself, and I simply said we always call when we need such a service and do not need them to call us, goodbye. ?

I usually book them for my apartment building when I am at work, love to waste their time

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

So my friend and I got involved in a road rage incident.

A friend was dropping me off after some planespotting. We were driving on this 1x1 lane road where this guy started tailgating us. My friend decided to step on his breaks unexpectedly and then seconds later, flip him the bird. This got the guy so angry that he continued to follow us. When the road turned into two lanes, he got next to the car next to me and shouted "F*CK YOU" with his head sticking out the window. He was following us and tailgating us right after the insult and instead of turning left into my neighborhood, we cut through a couple lanes of traffic turning left trying to lose him. Eventually, we did, after turning into another residential neighborhood and quickly making several turns, hiding in an alleyway. We waited there for a few minutes before driving my place and calling the police. Unfortunately, we didn't get a license plate but we had descriptions for the driver and vehicle. 

For a few seconds, I thought it was my last day. Well, I guess I learned a valuable lesson about road rage, it isn't worth it. 

• 1 month later...

The website streetcar.org has a feature that shows you which historic streetcars are running and their approximate location on the "E" and "F" lines in San Francisco. Just now I decided to see what was running. Instead of downtown San Francisco, it went straight to off the western coast of Africa! (No, MUNI does not go to Africa!)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

The website streetcar.org has a feature that shows you which historic streetcars are running and their approximate location on the "E" and "F" lines in San Francisco. Just now I decided to see what was running. Instead of downtown San Francisco, it went straight to off the western coast of Africa! (No, MUNI does not go to Africa!)

The feature is working properly now.

• 2 weeks later...

I was waiting for the train after work and some guy who asks me for change got angry at me for my responce. 

I told him, I don't carry cash on me. The guy gets pissed and says "You could've said NO!" then walks to the next person.

What's the difference if I say no or I don't have any money on me. He ain't getting a cent from me! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

When I was in Ottawa back in July, I saw a few OC Transpo and STO buses - bearing "IFTA Decals" on the sides of their respective buses. What is the IFTA and how does it work?

It stands for the “International Fuel Tax Agreement”. More info can be found here.

• 3 weeks later...