OC Transpo Retirement Watch

Since they have new fareboxes they dont need to retire a older buses for a new one. Also remeber the sudden turn around in ridership. OC wil need more buses come this Fall as schools are back, most workers are back off holidays and if feuk prices keep rising expect ridership to keep going up. So OC wil need more to meet the demand, so perhaps its best they don't retire the older buses as of yet?

Since they have new fareboxes they dont need to retire a older buses for a new one. Also remeber the sudden turn around in ridership. OC wil need more buses come this Fall as schools are back, most workers are back off holidays and if feuk prices keep rising expect ridership to keep going up. So OC wil need more to meet the demand, so perhaps its best they don't retire the older buses as of yet?

Ohhh, right, I forgot about that. Our New Looks retired because of that! :lol:

And most of them had many years still in them :P

Those silver side were the BEST buses a transit system could have.

Point55. :)

Ohhh, right, I forgot about that. Our New Looks retired because of that! :lol:

And most of them had many years still in them :P

Those silver side were the BEST buses a transit system could have.

Point55. :)

Well remember the STO still has 2 of our 1977 GM Fishbowl's, I see them during rush hour on Rideau St. I wouldn't mind owning one after it's retirement and returning it to OC Transpo colours. I'm going to try to get into the STO garage tomorrow to see about getting some Fishbowl pictures.

Well remember the STO still has 2 of our 1977 GM Fishbowl's, I see them during rush hour on Rideau St. I wouldn't mind owning one after it's retirement and returning it to OC Transpo colours. I'm going to try to get into the STO garage tomorrow to see about getting some Fishbowl pictures.

Go ahead and buy it, I was planning on buying 7742 but I got my eyes set on another bus.

Plus 7742 is perfect to repaint into our livery, especially if you just put it into a livery without silversides as it's like all white.

Go ahead and buy it, I was planning on buying 7742 but I got my eyes set on another bus.

Plus 7742 is perfect to repaint into our livery, especially if you just put it into a livery without silversides as it's like all white.

I was thinking 7757 cause it still has part of the red stripe on the roof, what bus do you want??

I was thinking 7757 cause it still has part of the red stripe on the roof, what bus do you want??

Good point, less work needed, though I was aiming for 7742 originally but now I want 9007 because on msn, it's "my bus" so I want to make it really my bus.

I already called the guy in charge of selling off the retired buses, I already requested it so he's going to contact me once it's retired.

Good point, less work needed, though I was aiming for 7742 originally but now I want 9007 because on msn, it's "my bus" so I want to make it really my bus.

I already called the guy in charge of selling off the retired buses, I already requested it so he's going to contact me once it's retired.

How much do they go for??

How much do they go for??

About $500,000 Cnd. Not exactly sure. Depends on what's left on the bus. I rather a get a farebox seperate, because I doubt they'll leave it on their. At the OC Transpo St.Laurent Building, I believe coffee is like 75 cents, and the employers pay it by putting the money in a farebox, but the vault, doesn't have the key hole, and instead uses a padlock

So Mike, if you ever get a farebox separately, take out the key hole and replace it with a padlock (Not sure how you'll insert a pad lock, or a locker combination lock but you can try and somehow put it on their) and that way, passengers have to actually pay a fare to board your bus, and you can collect it by unlocking the vault (without the tub that collects all the money if you want) and their you go! Easy access to your cash! Haha! :lol:

Point55. :D

:) That Cheap!?

Wow. I am shocked. (Well, I always am. Even a fly stuck between a glass cover and a system map will shock me)

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/point55/Other/cimg2030.png

Point55. :P

Yeah, I was the one that had to go through 8902's cobwebs for you. I'd have loved to see how shocked you'd be had you been the one going through them :lol:. I also brought them home attached to my shit (Souvenir? Nah.)

About $500,000 Cnd. Not exactly sure.

A new Invero was about $500,000 lol

When this bus was new (9007), a brand new bus was like $230,000 and last time I checked, values of vehicles go down the more miles they have.

The value only goes up if there is a high demand for a vehicle all the sudden. Like the value of a Geo Metro has gone up in recent years due to the fact so many people want to buy them as they get about the same milage on the highway as a hybrid car. So as I still own a Geo Metro, I think I'm going to hold onto it for a bit longer. One was recently sold on Ebay for $10,000 when a few years ago, it was probably worth a tiny bit of that.

But in all sense, the majority of people doesn't really want a old bus with 1,000,000+ kms on it so that is why the value is so low on a retired bus. That is why you can get them for dirt cheap.

Also don't forget that buses aren't that great on gas and with gas prices nowadays, everyone wants small vehicles, not large vehicles, so gas prices might actually make retired buses a bit cheaper.

(A little economical lesson, hehe)

In conclusion, the more people want something, the higher the price goes, the less people want something, the lower the price goes. A perfect example of this is with gas prices. Though I have my doubts that this isn't the only reason gas prices is so high now.

Not all the 87XX are retiring. Some D40 HF's as well are going... JCL posted the exact fleet numbers awhile ago. Maybe he'll repost them.

From the information I received in May, a total of 37 buses were scheduled for retirement. The retirement would consist of GM Classics, some of 1989 MCI Classics, and some of 1990-92 New Flyer D40. For the GM Classics, the units are: 8779, 81, 83, 86, 90, 91, 95, 96, 98 and 99. So far, the only GM Classic have been retired is 8781 (since March).

Also, there would be an additional 9 buses scheduled for retirement beginning in September. They are the remaining GM Classics (8769, 73, 75, 92 and 93), and four 1989 MCI Classics.

That being said, I've noticed that bus retirements have been slow (my guess is probably with all the "new" NFI D60LF that have yet to go into service).

That being said, I've noticed that bus retirements have been slow (my guess is probably with all the "new" NFI D60LF that have yet to go into service).

And if I heard correctly on the scanner, St. Laurent and Merivale are still in a low floor shortage am I correct? That could easily be a factor as if they start retiring the high floors in the midst of a low floor shortage, then it could become a bus shortage, if I remember correctly, OC Transpo received lots of criticism from that last shortage we had and that is the last thing they want now.

I remember that day, someone on the 4 requested a bus change as they had a 1998 Orion V and he wanted a low floor and control warned him that Merivale and St. Laurent is in a low floor shortage so they might give him a high floor. He was still expecting a low floor but when the bus exchange came, it was another 1998 Orion V. He sounded so pissed when he called in his bus change. He was a Merivale bus.

Also I noticed how on the accessibility page on the OC site, they changed "Please note: some trips during peak hours may use non-accessible buses." to "Please note: some trips each day may use non-accessible buses.".

Which the sighting of 9047 on the 7 today should back up what I'm saying.

But whatever, if it is a shortage I'm still happy, I'm seeing high floors out again outside rush hour and even on weekends, just like the old days.

• 2 months later...
Well I found another Ikarus today, out in Smiths Falls. I was looking for ex. STO 8015 and I found 8882. I knew that that scrapyard did have old OCs at one times (2-3 years ago) but I guess they kept one.

Any pictures and I saw 8935 on a tow truck today :P

Also, Orion 05.501 9818 appears to have fire damage to its engine as well as NFI D40i 4267 missing its front wheels! :lol:

17_075.jpg

17_067.jpg