GO discount fare and transfers

Orion V

On my trip today at BT, the driver told me to pa 50 cents since I got off the GO Train but I didn't have the ticket with me (obviously). But he let me in and I asked for a transfer and he said the transfer is only valid for customers paying the full fare. So I took out $2 coin but he said forgot it and gave me the transfer anyway.

So my question is, which systems that connects to the GO Train that has the discount fare actually gives out transfers with that discount fare (officially speaking)? I know YRT does it since I've done it before and MT has it though they have a weird cut off transfer that I've read about but never actually gotten it. I take it the driver was too lazy to make a special transfer for me paying that 50 cents and gave me a full one.

On my trip today at BT, the driver told me to pa 50 cents since I got off the GO Train but I didn't have the ticket with me (obviously). But he let me in and I asked for a transfer and he said the transfer is only valid for customers paying the full fare. So I took out $2 coin but he said forgot it and gave me the transfer anyway.

So my question is, which systems that connects to the GO Train that has the discount fare actually gives out transfers with that discount fare (officially speaking)? I know YRT does it since I've done it before and MT has it though they have a weird cut off transfer that I've read about but never actually gotten it. I take it the driver was too lazy to make a special transfer for me paying that 50 cents and gave me a full one.

Hmmm, seems to be the driver is quite lenient.

As what you said about MT, yes a driver gave me the back end of transfer because you only have one connection. But I do see drivers give out full transfer with a GO co-fare.

Burlington won't give transfer unless your paying full fare, the same as Oakville and Milton. Don't know about DRT.

Barrie is free as long you show GO fare and give you transfer too.

As what you said about MT, yes a driver gave me the back end of transfer because you only have one connection. But I do see drivers give out full transfer with a GO co-fare.

Burlington won't give transfer unless your paying full fare, the same as Oakville and Milton. Don't know about DRT.

Barrie is free as long you show GO fare and give you transfer too.

I received a Burlington Transfer back in March by paying the GO Fare.

DRT's policy is a little unclear. I've been told that transfers cannot be given out when co-fare is paid, but there are times where one has to be issued a transfer. When I needed a transfer after paying co-fare I was issued one.

DRT's policy is a little unclear. I've been told that transfers cannot be given out when co-fare is paid, but there are times where one has to be issued a transfer. When I needed a transfer after paying co-fare I was issued one.

In theory at least, co-fare programs do NOT dictate that the trip to the GO station has to be a single route trip. It is possible and in some cases necessary to take multiple routes. If the route you board on goes directly to the GO station, you should not be able to get a transfer, I'd think, simply because the purpose of the co-fare is to get you to the station to connect to your GO train/bus, and no transfer would be needed for that. But if the route you board on does NOT go to the GO station, then it should be possible to issue a transfer.

This is one thing that will likely be greatly simplified when Presto is in place. While I haven't heard anything, I'd have to guess that the co-fare discount would be back-calculated after boarding a GO vehicle within a short period of time after taking local transit.

The MT GO Shuttle routes (32, 60, 62, 63, 64) do not issue transfers as these routes are supposed to take customers right to their door (or close to it). GO Transit has a listing by agency on their website as to how co-fares work.

Can someone clear up the policy of Square One GO terminal! My gf takes the 407 bus from Hamilton and needs the MT Rte 19 to Milverton Ave. Some drivers say she cannot use her Go 10 ride pass for MT co-fare there as it is not a train station. But some drivers say it's okay......depends on who you get as a driver I suppose.

Can someone clear up the policy of Square One GO terminal! My gf takes the 407 bus from Hamilton and needs the MT Rte 19 to Milverton Ave. Some drivers say she cannot use her Go 10 ride pass for MT co-fare there as it is not a train station. But some drivers say it's okay......depends on who you get as a driver I suppose.

Mississauga's GO fare is only valid at train stations. Square One is not a train station, so the fare is technically not valid.

This is one thing that will likely be greatly simplified when Presto is in place. While I haven't heard anything, I'd have to guess that the co-fare discount would be back-calculated after boarding a GO vehicle within a short period of time after taking local transit.

For what it's worth, I've confirmed that this is now the plan. When Presto is in place, you'll pay full fare via Presto to ride the local bus to the GO station, and then when you board the GO vehicle, Presto will refund the difference for the local trip back to your card - and of course, handle the internal accounting so that GO will pay for the amount refunded.

Brampton allows you to pay 50 cents at any Brampton GO Station, anytime, anyday. And you get a transfer.

Resourceful ex-Bramptonite such as myself know how to save on tickets by getting on at GO stations.

For what it's worth, I've confirmed that this is now the plan. When Presto is in place, you'll pay full fare via Presto to ride the local bus to the GO station, and then when you board the GO vehicle, Presto will refund the difference for the local trip back to your card - and of course, handle the internal accounting so that GO will pay for the amount refunded.

So.. That means you need to have some money on the card. What happens, if you do not have money on the card? Will there some "overdraft" allowed?

Seems that it would be easier to just plunk down 2 quarters.

So.. That means you need to have some money on the card. What happens, if you do not have money on the card? Will there some "overdraft" allowed?

No idea at this point, although I'm sure it's been talked about.

Keep in mind, though, that Presto "Launch 1" (the first test implementation, now wrapping up) allowed the card to automatically refresh itself via a credit card transaction when it runs low. Users who set it up this way (which would be most, I'd guess) will not have to worry about running out of cash.

But fundamentally, this isn't a big deal. After all, today I have to make sure I buy each month's GO pass and have sufficient DRT co-fare tickets. In a few years, I will just need to make sure my card is topped up. Even if I don't let the card do it automatically, it's still less fare management than I have to do now. I believe that the scanners will show the amount remaining on the card each time you use it, so you'll know when it needs more cash. You'll be able to manually topup online or via Presto machines at GO and subway stations - and possibly at other places, I don't know about that.

BTW, from a TTC 2009 capital budget document on their reports site, it appears that the TTC is now committing to moving forward with Presto. They are looking for money to help pay for implementation, but I'd guess that that has already been arranged but will wait for a formal budget announcement from the province.

To be honest, I have a feeling that many people will not opt to have their Visa automatically deducted. It's something that they may not be able to control.

But I could be wrong.

In Brampton, and Mississauga, you do not require a seperate ticket for the GO discount. You just pop in a couple of quarters, and show your ticket/pass. Personally, I think that makes more sense, and is not complicated. This will be especially the case for GO riders, who only use the bus to reach the GO Station. Hopefully, that will remain the case when Presto is implemented. Of course, there will have to be a way to determine that a Presto user is actually going to the station. Maybe having uniquely designed Presto Cards for each agency?

One major issue that Presto will need to address is to make it convenient for people to fill up the cards. Limiting people to filling up their cards at Transit Centres, and Major bus stops might turn people off. you cannot beat the convenience of going to the local store to pick up a bus pass, or tickets.

If it doesn't break the TTC's budget, and force a fare increase, I have no problem with using Presto in Toronto. Or is it just for the machines that will be installed at Islington, Finch, and Downsview?

In Brampton, and Mississauga, you do not require a seperate ticket for the GO discount. You just pop in a couple of quarters, and show your ticket/pass. Personally, I think that makes more sense, and is not complicated. This will be especially the case for GO riders, who only use the bus to reach the GO Station. Hopefully, that will remain the case when Presto is implemented. Of course, there will have to be a way to determine that a Presto user is actually going to the station. Maybe having uniquely designed Presto Cards for each agency?

This is the case in Durham as well, and in general, Presto won't make cash fares go away - although I'm not sure how you would prove your GO ridership using Presto and pay cash for the local fare, particularly when heading to the GO station where you haven't actually paid your GO fare yet - remember that Presto will get rid of GO "passes" in favour of per-ride fares with increasing discounts as you ride more during a month.

All of this is subject to change, of course. There are weekly meetings for the Presto groups at each agency and at Accenture, so a lot of this stuff is getting hashed out right now.

One major issue that Presto will need to address is to make it convenient for people to fill up the cards. Limiting people to filling up their cards at Transit Centres, and Major bus stops might turn people off. you cannot beat the convenience of going to the local store to pick up a bus pass, or tickets.

Absolutely. I'm not sure how widespread the "fill" machines will be. It's possible that they may end up in some stores like ATMs have, but that's just speculation on my part. It makes sense, though.

If it doesn't break the TTC's budget, and force a fare increase, I have no problem with using Presto in Toronto. Or is it just for the machines that will be installed at Islington, Finch, and Downsview?

No way a $300 million+ cost is just for those handful of stations. No, since the ticket story thing became public with the TTC announcing the elimination of adult tickets, the TTC has been clear that they will move away from visual verification of fare media and to Presto. The budget documents make that even clearer.

This is the case in Durham as well, and in general, Presto won't make cash fares go away - although I'm not sure how you would prove your GO ridership using Presto and pay cash for the local fare, particularly when heading to the GO station where you haven't actually paid your GO fare yet - remember that Presto will get rid of GO "passes" in favour of per-ride fares with increasing discounts as you ride more during a month.

That is something that will have to be addressed. As I said before, maybe GO can give a unique sticker that can be afffixed to the card. Any card with the sticker will get the discount provided the user is going to the station. But Go is not going to get rid of monthly passes with unlimited rides, are they? That won't go down well.

No way a $300 million+ cost is just for those handful of stations. No, since the ticket story thing became public with the TTC announcing the elimination of adult tickets, the TTC has been clear that they will move away from visual verification of fare media and to Presto. The budget documents make that even clearer.

OK.

I haven't read the budget. I just only know what I read on the Presto site. If it for the entire system, then all good.

That is something that will have to be addressed. As I said before, maybe GO can give a unique sticker that can be afffixed to the card. Any card with the sticker will get the discount provided the user is going to the station. But Go is not going to get rid of monthly passes with unlimited rides, are they? That won't go down well.

My understanding is that monthly passes will be gone - but as I said, there will be an increasing discount the more you ride so that the end result is about the same. The intent is that it will be revenue-neutral. In other words, the fare system will be structured differently, but it should cost most people about the same amount. But yes, it would cost the ability to take extra trips for free - and then there is the "companion" bonus that GO has that lets you bring a companion along for free on weekends and holidays if you have a monthly pass. That's very handy for people travelling downtown for weekend events.

Again, please take that as only being my understanding. It's not carved in stone or necessarily even accurate. :-)

OK.

I haven't read the budget. I just only know what I read on the Presto site. If it for the entire system, then all good.

• 4 years later...

That's not true - at least not anymore. I took a trip to see my grandmother in Hamilton and brought my daughter (her oldest great-grandchild) along. I realized that a Presto card would be the way to go since I can't buy tickets in advance anymore for the GO train. So I used it for my fare, and bought my daughter a day pass, child fare. Took the train from Barrie to Toronto, and the next train from Toronto to Burlington. They accepted her co-payment. 50 cents? 60? Something like that, and they did issue her a transfer. The Route 2 bus, Brant South took us to the downtown terminal and we transferred to the HSR 11 (Parkdale) bus. I tried to show her the sights (what sights you might ask) such as the lift bridge we had to cross (without waiting), and the Skyway and Lake Ontario and the hospital (Joseph Brant) where her grandmother used to work. And it let us off up on the mountain two blocks from the nursing home. So in short, yes, Burlington Transit issues transfers to those coming in from the GO train. My aunt gave us a ride back to the train station afterwards so I didn't see how it worked going HSR to BT.

Here in Barrie they haven't implemented Presto yet. This only works when connecting to the GO Trains, not at other times - you show the Barrie Transit driver your Presto Card and if they are still clueless you tell them you're catching (or coming from) the GO Train. Current practice differs from 1990. At the GO station you show your GO fare (including Presto card - you don't have to prove you used it!) and the driver of the GO shuttle (usually but not always the Arboc 1104 bus) will issue a transfer for the next bus. Back when the GO train operated in the early 1990s you caught the connecting bus at the Bradford St/Essa Rd/Lakeshore Dr/Tiffin St intersection and showed the driver your GO ticket. That worked on any Barrie Transit bus or any north bound GO bus which often appeared first. At the bus terminal if you had to transfer to another bus you again showed your GO ticket. It doesn't work like that anymore. For all its shortcomings, Barrie Transit now appears to be the only system connecting with GO that lets you ride free when connecting with the train.