20 new dual-powered locomotives for the AMT

cprail

But the problem with this is that you are simply making a case for the dual-modes then where one doesn't exist - there is nothing preventing AMT from either electrifying the entire lines (save for cost, obviously) or from leaving them as diesel-propelled lines.

Dan

I agree with you. I'm just speculating about the logic behind AMT's decision.

• 1 year later...

Even if MTL decided to shift gears and electrify completely, I would say there will be a market for dualmodes in Toronto within the decade. The electrification bandwagon is gaining a lot here in the 416, especially given Blue22. It's going to take a long time to justify electrification all the way to places like Niagara Falls, Peterborough and Bolton so the MP40s won't be redundant but in the case of Georgetown for instance I could see electrification to Malton and diesel operation beyond (maybe we could get a few MR90s cheap for the Pearson run when the time comes? :) )

Considering how long-lived most electric locos/EMUs can get, I wouldn't count on many of us being alive when the time comes to replace them.

Dan

It was more that AMT would replace them for capacity reasons, not that they were clapped out. The likelihood of RDCs on Blue 22 is getting more remote because nobody wants to face down the CleanTrainers who since they dropped the "Weston Community" in their name have gotten more media traction, and what I never liked about the RDC option was that they were long distance cars being used as a shuttle whereas the MR90s have mid-car doors.

It was more that AMT would replace them for capacity reasons, not that they were clapped out.

As opposed to buying more EMUs and running the MR90s with them?

The likelihood of RDCs on Blue 22 is getting more remote because nobody wants to face down the CleanTrainers who since they dropped the "Weston Community" in their name have gotten more media traction, and what I never liked about the RDC option was that they were long distance cars being used as a shuttle whereas the MR90s have mid-car doors.

The RDCs to be used on Blue22 were going to have high level mid-car doors cut into them. This was always the plan, as the platforms at Union and at the Airport would be at floor level.

As for whatever the Weston group want to call themselves today.....that's a whole 'nother topic.

Dan

It was more that AMT would replace them for capacity reasons, not that they were clapped out. The likelihood of RDCs on Blue 22 is getting more remote because nobody wants to face down the CleanTrainers who since they dropped the "Weston Community" in their name have gotten more media traction, and what I never liked about the RDC option was that they were long distance cars being used as a shuttle whereas the MR90s have mid-car doors.

My personal fantasy would be to use the AMT's MR-90s eventually on a Trudeau airport (YUL) shuttle. They seem perfect because of their baggage racks and the trainsets can be very short without "wasting" a locomotive on a, say, 2-car consist.

Montreal did get Toronto's garbage (referring to the Hawker-Siddeley coaches), but Toronto sure won't get some of Montreal's best equipment! ;)

My personal fantasy would be to use the AMT's MR-90s eventually on a Trudeau airport (YUL) shuttle. They seem perfect because of their baggage racks and the trainsets can be very short without "wasting" a locomotive on a, say, 2-car consist.

Montreal did get Toronto's garbage (referring to the Hawker-Siddeley coaches), but Toronto sure won't get some of Montreal's best equipment! ;)

Those cars you call garbage still run and are the backbone of their fleet. Without them they would be screwed.

I'm sure someone will pick them up, refurbish them and use them, they aren't that old.

It doesn't matter if they are old or not. They are not in good shape, and it's likely that if any are to be saved it will be at the expense of some of the others.

Dan

Are they not in good shape due to poor maintenance?

I don't know what AMTs maintenance practices are like, but I suspect that they are in bad shape in part due to their age (35 years or more) and in part due to the fact they were not built in a particularly heavy-duty manner. They are essentially strengthened subway cars, which only had a design life of 25 years.

Dan

• 1 month later...
I'm sure someone will pick them up, refurbish them and use them, they aren't that old.

ONR maybe? Parts supply for there fleet, plus expansion? If all of these rumours of ONR buying the CPR between North Bay and Smiths Falls actually become fact, maybe they've got something up their sleeves for a passenger service from Ottawa westerly, especially since Greyhound is scaling back service through the area.

But I digress ...

And are you sure you don't want that "land"?

Dan

It's good "land" I hear. I've seen pictures of it!