Scarborough RT

Shaun

A subway is not final until the environmental assessment (EA) is done, and council gives approval. And that won't occur until after the election.

This is far from a settled issue, even if there's money being earmarked for it. Said EA will refine the cost estimate, and the subway could end up having a higher price tag on it (I'm willing to bet on it). And that earmarked money? How about using it towards the Relief Line? Or one of the cancelled Transit City LRT lines? Or extending the Shepperd subway?

With a new council, and potential new mayor, lots of possibilities are still open.

Or extending the Sheppard subway?

I wouldn't be against the idea of extending the Sheppard subway to Victoria Park if the resulting station could somehow have a better transfer to the LRT. That's not saying that there is anything wrong with what's going to be built at Don Mills, but it may be possible to do things better with a blank slate.

Of course, any and all ideas that make sense will be shot down by Rob Ford and his campaign to bribe people with their own money.

Please not this again. I am not against the idea of having this happen, but naturally this will open up another can of worms of LRT vs subway.

I would support the LRT along the current SRT corridor, as long as we get a rapid transit connection to Centennial College, I am all for it...even if it means spending more money for it to be subway. I would also support LRT along Markham Road from Sheppard to Kennedy Station via Eglinton. The amount of workers who travel between the McNicoll area and Eglinton is huge. Combine that with high school students and college students, the demand is way too high for current services to handle.

Sheppard however, I stand firmly behind a subway extension to Scarborough Town Centre, with an LRT or subway branch to Markham Road or Morningside Avenue. The space to widen Sheppard Avenue is there. A model similar to Viva's Rapidway along Highway 7 would be beneficial for traffic flow in the Malvern area. Make it "sexy" to attract riders.

Having riders who travel from Keele and Sheppard to Kennedy and Sheppard transfer twice to reach their destination is insane. Now, I'm not to certain on the amount of riders who actually do this. I do seasonal work at Downsview Park in the summer, and I live near Morningside and Lawrence. I understand that I am travelling a far distance and some transfers are required, but it's the efficiency of those transfers I would like to see drastically improved.

Interesting, I wonder how high it would be if Rob Ford hadn't been clouding the issue.

I wonder if it will go higher if when this gets trotted out during the election.

Sheppard however, I stand firmly behind a subway extension to Scarborough Town Centre, with an LRT or subway branch to Markham Road or Morningside Avenue.

Honestly, what's wrong with building the LRT now and then doing periodic subway extensions as needed? I'm obviously not including vote buying when I say that.

Honestly, what's wrong with building the LRT now and then doing periodic subway extensions as needed? I'm obviously not including vote buying when I say that.

Sure, so are you saying the Sheppard LRT should be underground? or in some way separated entirely from the street?

Sure, so are you saying the Sheppard LRT should be underground? or in some way separated entirely from the street?

That is in the process of Public Information Sessions. If a case is made by different communities that portions should be underground plans get changed. An example is the Hurontario LRT. The configuration in downtown Brampton was changed. The second was about downtown Mississauga. A third is coming soon I believe.

In Calgary, after public sessions part of the new West LRT was put underground. It is all part of the process.

• 1 year later...

Scarborough's creaking SRT gets a makeover

The SRT cars will be getting a mechanical overhaul (to actually allow them to last until the Scarborough Subway extension is opened) and at the same time, they're gonna be getting an ugly, all-blue wrap. Just when we all thought the Airport Rocket wrap was scraping the bottom of the barrel...

you have to blame the city council for the $132 Million worth of gravy for being indecisive. On top of that, we have to pay the penalty for canceling the LRT.

Additionally I guess we have Byford to blame for these ridiculous wrap jobs and paint schemes. I can understand change, but I mean really...how do these get approved.

It will be interesting to see if they change their minds yet again on the subway because $80+ million has been approved on this:

Scarborough Subway

They honestly would've been better off taking the buses and the new garage that would've been paid for by the Province, but Ford's "SUBWAY, SUBWAY, SUBWAY!!!" Mantra scrapped all of that, I wasn't exactly in favour of the LRT but the extra buses would've been useful present and future. At some point I have a feeling that they're going have to make the 131E a 7 days a week service, I can't see the SRT being that reliable a couple of years after the rebuild.

They honestly would've been better off taking the buses and the new garage that would've been paid for by the Province, but Ford's "SUBWAY, SUBWAY, SUBWAY!!!" Mantra scrapped all of that, I wasn't exactly in favour of the LRT but the extra buses would've been useful present and future. At some point I have a feeling that they're going have to make the 131E a 7 days a week service, I can't see the SRT being that reliable a couple of years after the rebuild.

I doubt it will be just the 131E. I believe TTC planned to run a number of routes into Kennedy like 129E/F (A/B express branches) and 134E (134C express) all day too. Other routes like 130, 132 and 133 would have ran into Kennedy in rush hour and cut back to the current route in off peak. Users will have to take another express bus to Kennedy. They'll probably also run another express bus following closely to the SRT serving all SRT stations. The 38 doesn't make sense to run express into Kennedy, users would have taken the 198 from Kennedy instead so they could have increased service on the 198 instead.

And all the extra buses would have came from the current garages and possibly renting space. They wouldn't have a new garage for 55 buses.