Scarborough RT

Shaun

Don't they already have too many T1s with the TR order?

According to Steve Munro's interpretation of the TTC 2013 Capital budget - http://stevemunro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/SubwayFleetPlan201210.pdf (from http://stevemunro.ca/?p=6910) they will have 7 extra sets in 2014. However this would be reduced by anticipated service increases to 0 extra sets in 2023, which is the talked about opening date for the extension.

Quick search on Google: https://twitter.com/...218882354679809. It's the last reply he makes.

How do you search Twitter with Google? Last time I looked into it, it wasn't possible.

Oh, this one:

Three minutes later Christian Parisé tweeted:

So how accurate is this? Lagos's requirement has dropped from 255 cars to 52 cars?

How do you search Twitter with Google? Last time I looked into it, it wasn't possible.

All I searched was "H6s Brad Ross" and the third link is the link I posted. Even more come up if you put in "H6s Brad Ross twitter".

In fairness, the 255 cars were the ones sold to the refurbishing company, not for actual service. Of those, Lagos was originally scheduled to take some 150 cars or so, broken down to roughly half H5s and half H6s. They even talked of building 1000 foot long platforms to service 10- and 12- car trains.

If they are only taking 52, than they have severely curtailed their plans.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

The 131 NUGGET EXPRESS already does this owing to the fact that the SRT can get overcrowded at rush hour. I don't know if they'd also extend other routes on an express run either non-stop, or with a stop at Lawrence on the way to Kennedy. Perhaps they can add extra service onto crossing routes to try and diffuse some of the traffic heading to Kennedy. A branch of the 95 running between York Mills and Scarborough Centre perhaps? Local traffic between Scarborough Centre/McCowan and Kennedy/Warden are served by several routes already (9 BELLAMY, 16 McCOWAN, 21 BRIMLEY and 43B KENNEDY).

When this happens, I hope that they will install temporary reserved lanes for the purpose (SRT shuttle), seeing as how there will be a bus passing by on average every minute or so in rush hour. Bellamy may have to bite the bullet and take one for the team... unless you guys think that the NIMBYs won't stand for this level of service on their street.

Bellamy may have to bite the bullet and take one for the team... unless you guys think that the NIMBYs won't stand for this level of service on their street.

I disagree, Bellamy, in some sections is one lane, each direction. Through these areas traffic can get tight(and that's with an already frequent Rte 9). I'm thinking more of Kennedy or Midland, or even Brimley... On a sidenote.. What's the point of having a SRT Shuttle anyways? Just increase the service on the 9,16,21,43B, 57 and the 131E and call 'er a day.

I disagree, Bellamy, in some sections is one lane, each direction. Through these areas traffic can get tight(and that's with an already frequent Rte 9). I'm thinking more of Kennedy or Midland, or even Brimley... On a sidenote.. What's the point of having a SRT Shuttle anyways? Just increase the service on the 9,16,21,43B, 57 and the 131E and call 'er a day.

the 9 has 18 minute headways during rush hour so it's not that frequent. I think increased express service would be more efficient in replacing rapid transit, rather than increasing local services.

Excuse me, I meant Brimley - I was looking at the 131E map and obviously typed the wrong name. Thanks for the correction.

Google Satellite tells me that there's only two lanes in each direction on Kennedy, Midland or Brimley. I merely think that a reserved lane would function best where the competing express bus to the SRT already runs.

Most of the ridership of the SRT seems to travel between the subway and STC, therefore I will have to imagine that folks will be none too pleased to use a local (all the routes you mentioned above with the exception of 131E).

To use an example close to my heart, in 2004, Henri-Bourassa métro station was closed for a couple of months to prepare for the metro extension to Laval, so the city installed reserved lanes and an express bus (545 Navette Henri-Bourassa - Crémazie) was in effect. Service was scheduled every minute during rush hour to cope with the demand. I'm not saying that a bus is needed at that level, but I can't see efficient moving of this volume of people with even 5 minute headways on a 40 ft bus.

I don't live in Toronto obviously so someone here will have to tell me how often the SRT shuttle runs in a situation where the SRT crapped out in rush hour. Most of the planned closures of the SRT that I remember in the service summaries (ex power rail replacement) had shuttles running but not at hyper levels of frequency.

I don't live in Toronto obviously so someone here will have to tell me how often the SRT shuttle runs in a situation where the SRT crapped out in rush hour. Most of the planned closures of the SRT that I remember in the service summaries (ex power rail replacement) had shuttles running but not at hyper levels of frequency.

Back when there were doing those early closures I believe the shuttles were running every 6 minutes, similar frequency to the actual train service at that time. That was during late evening too so rush hour shuttle service has to be at least every 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.

Since most people would be heading from Kennedy to STC they could look at running two branches of the shuttle. One that serves all RT stations and another that runs directly from Kennedy to STC. This would reduce the amount of shuttle bus traffic on one roadway as they would use different routing ("local" SRT shuttle using Kennedy Rd-Lawrence Ave E-Midland Ave-Ellesmere Rd-McCowan Rd, "express" SRT shuttle using Eglinton Ave-Brimley Rd or Danforth Rd/McCowan Rd). This of course would all be in addition to all the other rearranging of Scarborough bus routes that they were planning to do. If the subway plan finds enough funding though shuttle buses would not be needed since the SRT would run until the extension is open, unless it dies before the completion.

• 1 month later...

Scarborough subway to be built with shortened route, Ontario announces

The latest plan is to have the subway run largely on the route of the current rapid transit line. It will terminate at Scarborough City Centre.

[scarborough Councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker] said it will then be up to the city and the federal government to finish the line up to Sheppard Avenue.

I'll invite the rest of the board for comment, I'm at a loss for words.