Wasaga Beach Transit

G.A

Seing ghost chicks around, sucks that there's no nudity on! :)

I should have said chicks with bikini!

ANYWAYS....if you are visiting the Blue Mountain Resort it is difficult to access the City of Collingwood, as it is difficult to access the beach. It would make sense to have some kind of shuttle system between these points, and they should be free. They could take .10 cents from every customer for each business and put that towards public transit, that would cut down on the number of car trips in the area. I really think that it's a viable solution. The service could run from 6am to midnite or something. That should be good enough to make it back to your hotel after dinner.

ANYWAYS....if you are visiting the Blue Mountain Resort it is difficult to access the City of Collingwood, as it is difficult to access the beach. It would make sense to have some kind of shuttle system between these points, and they should be free. They could take .10 cents from every customer for each business and put that towards public transit, that would cut down on the number of car trips in the area. I really think that it's a viable solution. The service could run from 6am to midnite or something. That should be good enough to make it back to your hotel after dinner.

I have to visit myself to see that.

Here's the article, and they've ordered an 18 seating vehicle with w/c lift and bike rack (cutaway anyway).

http://www.simcoe.com/wasagasun/article/111328

Time is right for bus service: prez

Author: Trina Berlo

Date: Jul 16, 2008

Officials say 197 people rode Wasaga Beach's new bus last week during its inaugural run.

Georgian Coach Lines, the Beach's new transit provider, had an eight-seat passenger van on the road for one free week of transportation last week during what officials say was a soft start to the service.

On Monday, Georgian Coach Lines, councillors and town staff officially launched the bus service at a ceremony held at noon at Wasaga Stars Arena, the first pick-up spot on the bus' route.

"This is the start," said Mayor Cal Patterson adding that he has already received several requests from residents to expand the service.

"I am confident in six months we will be ordering a second bus, then maybe we can go out to some of the subdivisions," said Patterson.

The bus currently travels along the town's main arteries - River Road West and Mosley Street - between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

"Georgian Coach Lines is extremely proud and excited to be part of the Wasaga Beach transit system," said president Doug Harrison. "The time is right."

He said with Wasaga Beach's growing community, there is a lot of interest in the transit system.

"Already we have seen people use the service on a regular basis," said Harrison.

"We pledge to work with as a partner with the town to make it as effective and efficient as possible."

Georgian Coach Lines' senior managers are driving the bus until Aug. 3 when three drivers - two full-time and one part-time - will take the wheel.

An 18-seat bus that is wheelchair accessible and has a bike rack is on order but will not be on the road until the beginning of September, officials say.

Georgian Coach Lines director of operations John Beattie said he has waited three years to see public transportation come to fruition in Wasaga Beach.

Beattie owns Kyle's Taxi with Collingwood Ace Cabs owner Paul Spencley. The two pitched the idea of starting a transit service in Wasaga Beach about three years ago.

Beattie said when Spencley backed out Georgian Coach Lines took the reigns.

He is confident, based on his experience with the taxi service, there will be enough riders to make the bus service successful.

"I have been here all my life and I wanted to see the bus work for the Town of Wasaga Beach," said Beattie.

Beattie said he would like to see the van stay on the road once the 18-seat bus arrives to cut down on travel times and eventually it would be ideal to have two 18-seat buses in operation.

The town is currently asking residents to submit suggestions on what to call the new bus service.

The bus leaves Wasaga Stars Arena on the hour and Real Canadian Superstore on the half-hour. In the first half of every hour the bus travels along Main Street to Mosley Street and stops at Wal-Mart, Giant Tiger, the River Bend Plaza and the new medical centre on Ramblewood Drive.

In the second half hour it stops at Riverbend Plaza and continues along River Road West to Foodland and then goes back to Wasaga Stars Arena.

Passenger bus stops have not yet been established but people can flag down the bus along its route. Adults ride for $2, seniors, students and children ride for $1.50 and children under the age of five ride free (one way fares). The visually impaired (with a CNIB card) also ride free. Tickets can be purchased in books of 20 for a discount.

For details visit www.wasagabeach.com. Those with concerns about the route or anything relating to the bus is asked to call Georgian Coach Lines at 429-7700. Suggestions can also be made by e-mail to wbtransit@wasagabeach.com

Another one, later date.

http://www.staynersun.ca/staynersun/article/112420

Transit system evolving in region

Author: Michael Gennings

Date: Jul 29, 2008

The head of a Wasaga Beach bus company was before Clearview Township council last Monday night, informing elected officials of his company's operations and its plans for the future.

Doug Harrison, president of Georgian Coach Lines, said he started his company in October 2007 as a charter service.

Harrison said he determined the need for an affordable transit service after a stretch as a taxi driver in Collingwood and Wasaga.

He said that shortly after Georgian Coach Lines was operational he learned the beach was looking to offer a full-scale transit service for residents and so he bid for the contract and won.

That service began operation earlier this month with one bus, Harrison said.

The cost to use the Wasaga bus is $2 for an adult and $1.50 for seniors, students and children.

The Wasaga service operates on a continuous loop, which takes about an hour to complete. The bus runs seven days a week, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

The company, which currently employs five people and is based at the Wasaga Beach Public Works Yard, is also reaching out to the Clearview Township communities of Stayner and Creemore.

In May, Georgian Coach Lines began a route that stops in Stayner and Creemore on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

The bus arrives in Creemore at Creedan Valley Nursing Home at 10 a.m. and then stops on Mill Street, at Cashtown Diner, Oasis Convenience in Stayner, Bluewater Fish and Chips in Stayner and then makes its way to Wasaga.

Harrison said the bus makes stops at such Wasaga hotspots as The Real Canadian Superstore, Giant Tiger and Wal-Mart and then begins picking people up at these locations at 1 p.m.

The round-trip cost to use the bus is $20 from Creemore and $15 from Stayner.

To date, Harrison noted, only about four people are riding a week.

Harrison said that Georgian Coach Lines hopes to provide a bus service that links with Collingwood's transit system. He didn't know when this might happen, however, and said the concept is still in the preliminary stage.

He said the company would also like to start a municipal transit service for Clearview, at least servicing Stayner but he wasn't sure when this might happen either. He said there are no formal talks with the municipality at this point.

However, he said if the idea does become a reality in the future the cost to use the bus would likely go down from what Clearview residents currently pay for the two-day a week private service that Georgian provides, due to government subsidies offsetting the cost.

Several factors make the timing right for a bus service in Wasaga and Clearview, he noted.

Harrison said that both communities are growing and as such residents require an affordable public form of transportation.

Since the Wasaga municipal transit service started a few weeks ago, 400 riders have used it, he said.

There is an environmental benefit as well, he said, pointing out that a bus service will cut down on the number of vehicles using the road.

And, Harrison added, riding a bus is more economical than a car or truck, given the price of gas.

Clearview Mayor Ken Ferguson thanked Harrison for his presentation, saying there is indeed a growing need for public transit.

Ferguson said in a followup interview afterwards that he can see some type of municipal service starting but he didn't know when or how.

He said the idea is something council has not discussed and he was unable to say when it might come to the table.

Deputy Mayor Alicia Savage asked Harrison how Georgian Coach Lines is marketing itself.

He said the company is relying on word-of-mouth.

• 2 years later...

You'll miss the new service by a couple of days...

simcoe.com [27 July 2011]

Bus links to Collingwood

WASAGA BEACH – Beginning August 2, a bus will operate between Wasaga Beach and Collingwood, connecting the two municipalities’ transit systems.

A vehicle will run from the Collingwood terminal at Second and Pine Streets to Real Canadian Superstore in Wasaga Beach from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

There will be designated bus stops along Highway 26 between Collingwood and Wasaga Beach.

The service will operate on a 30-minute schedule and a one-way fare is $2. Once passengers reach their destination, they will have to pay another fee for the municipal transit system in the community.

The vehicle used for the service will seat eight people and is fully accessible.

Sinton Transportation has been selected as the contractor for the five-month trial. The company also operates Collingwood's municipal transit service.

The service has been discussed between both municipalities for more than a year. In June, the County of Simcoe approved $35,000 in funding for the project. The cost for the trial period is about $30,000.

Should the service be continued beyond the trial period, Collingwood and Wasaga Beach would need to work out a cost-sharing agreement.

Town of Wasaga Beach and Town of Collingwood staff will undertake a thorough evaluation of the transit link in early December 2011 to determine if the link should continue into the future.

“Wasaga Beach council is excited to offer this new service to residents and visitors of Wasaga Beach and Collingwood. I am personally pleased to be working with Mayor Sandra Cooper and members of the Town of Collingwood council on this pilot project,” said Wasaga Beach Mayor Cal Patterson. “It is my hope that the additional service provides a much needed cost effective mode of transportation linking the communities together. The transit link exemplifies the positive working relationship between The Town of Wasaga Beach and the Town of Collingwood. I anticipate the service will be well received and heavily utilized.”

In a staff report, it's estimated Collingwood's cost to operate the service without County assistance would be more than $46,000.

Collingwood council debated the fare last month. Some councillors felt it should be higher.

CAO Kimberly Wingrove said the fee was set at $2 to "see if we can get people on the bus."

Councillor Kevin Lloyd said it might work at $2 but questions what ridership will be like if the fare increases.

"If they ride it at $2, will they ride it at $4?" he said.

Councillor Mike Edwards had similar concerns. He doesn't believe a $2 fare will make it financially viable.

Deputy Mayor Rick Lloyd believes the project will be a success.

"It has great potential, he said. "I think we will find the demand will be there."

“Members of Collingwood council are ecstatic to expand the transit service beyond our boundaries,” said Collingwood Mayor Sandra Cooper. “The Town of Collingwood has provided municipal transit service since 1987 and now, on a trial basis, it is expanding outside our boundaries. The transit link between the Town of Collingwood and the Town of Wasaga Beach only strengthens the relationship with our neighbours while the County of Simcoe provides support to make the new service more cost effective. Through the five months of trial period, my hope is for a heavy demand enabling consideration beyond 2011.”

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping an old thread ... Wasaga Beach took delivery of a 3rd cutaway late in 2012. Bus # 9105 is a Ford/Crestline E-450 with Goshen body.

Seems theres a route 3. So that could be why 9105 was bought or it replaced 9102 the Sprinter. There are 4 transfer points along the routes. I also noted when I went to Wasaga the last time I saw 9103 sitting at a plaza on Mosley Street. There's a shoppers, LCBO, ReMax and Tim Hortons. I am not sure if its a lay over spot of just a stop over.

http://www.wasagabea...ransit.index.gk

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I paid a visit to the beach yesterday, had a few beers and a nice burger. I had a bit of time to myself so I checked the schedule and noticed I had time to walk to Walmart where both routes meet. Both 50 (Ex-9104) and 51 (Ex-9105) were both in service. 49 apparently was 9103 was not in service that day. The drivers were new about transit photos but oh well. I did some research and noted that 9102 which was the Dodge Sprinter van was indeed pulled from service and is now used for a new service called Georgian Shores Transportation which is a tour bus service. The link will be provided. Also is a photo of 51 attached at the Stonebridge Town Centre.

http://m.simcoe.com/news-story/4905718-new-tour-and-shuttle-service-for-wasaga-beach

19504549934_e2e063676c_o.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Thread bump. Reading an article here showing that there is consideration to move the buses from the front doors of the Superstore to the North side of the store as 5 buses now take up the area. If it gets approved, buses will be moved in 2020.

https://www.simcoe.com/news-story/9704887-public-transit-puzzle-wasaga-to-consider-moving-hub-at-superstore/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Articulated said:

A little blast from the (recent) past:

Some of the first generation of Wasaga Beach buses are still around. Randomly stumbled upon units 49 and 51 sitting behind an automotive garage in Barrie. They are not plated, so clearly not being used, probably waiting to find a buyer.

49310885006_331393443b_n.jpg49311087367_61373f9161_n.jpg

I remember when Georgian Coach Lines ran the service. The owner was a noce guy. It was just the Sprinter #9102 and the cutaway #9103. They had a Jeep Commander #9101 as well which may have been a spare until 9104 showed up in 2010. I will have to check and see how the ridership is going as I always see people waiting for the bus around town. If memory serves, they should have a new bus this year or next year. The garage has also moved to the old fire station at Beach Area 1.

• 2 years later...

Bus 59 was acquired from Collingwood Transit not long after Simcoe County LINX took over that route in 2019. It did randomly show up out of random when I was down in December. Not much notable differences other than the fleet number.

2022-04-03_12-51-52.jpg

• Thanks 1