Gregory

Celebrity Death Thread

Writer D.C. Fontana, mostly known for works pertaining to The Original Star Trek series passed away Dec. 02, 2019 at the age of 80.

• Sad 3

20 hours ago, Downsview 108 said:

Wow that is a shock. He is the guy who coined the term "red rocket" in the 1950s. RIP

How old was he?  I thought he was only in his seventies.  His photographs were one of several people’s I looked at when I was starting out to get ideas about what composed a good streetcar picture.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

How old was he?  I thought he was only in his seventies.  His photographs were one of several people’s I looked at when I was starting out to get ideas about what composed a good streetcar picture.

Not sure. According to Transit Toronto he was the one who coined the term as a facetious way of describing how slow the Gloucester cars were when the new subway opened. He was a really good photographer that had a real steady hand too. A lot of his time exposures were taken without a tripod.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, captaintrolley said:

Actor Claude Earl Jones passed away on November 25, 2019 at the age of 86.

He has not no relation to James Earl Jones does he?

On 12/3/2019 at 11:32 AM, Downsview 108 said:

Wow that is a shock. He is the guy who coined the term "red rocket" in the 1950s. RIP

A shock indeed. I was just looking yesterday at the last auction he has up on eBay which was more so intended just as a message to let everyone know he didn't know when he'd be back due to chemotherapy.

He was the first person I ever bought something from on eBay... back when you could pay by sending a money order to someone.

RIP. 

• Like 3

R.I.P. Shelley Morrison, Sister Sixto of The Flying Nun and Rosario Salazar of Will & Grace

She drew on her Spanish heritage in a career spanning four decades. She was 83.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

A shock indeed. I was just looking yesterday at the last auction he has up on eBay which was more so intended just as a message to let everyone know he didn't know when he'd be back due to chemotherapy.

He was the first person I ever bought something from on eBay... back when you could pay by sending a money order to someone.

RIP. 

TTC 28 was one of the first transit history books I ever bought, when I visited the HCRR as a kid about a decade ago. At the time I had no idea just how valuable the volume I'd picked up was, I just saw that it was a cool old book about streetcars. Definitely one of the better decisions I made that ended up paying off in the long run.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

RIP. 

Oh yes, the good old, bad old days of eBay.  Interestingly, Bromley was one of the few people that bought slides from me on eBay during the brief time I sold them there.  bear4922 if I remember correctly?  It's been a long time.  It's such a shame.  I hope his wife Margaret is holding up ok.  She's a really nice, kind lady  and I can't imagine how rough this has been for her.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1