Celebrity Death Thread

Gregory

Former 102.1 The Edge personality Martin Streek reportedly committed suicide yesterday at age 45. His "suicide note" was a status update on Facebook: “So … I guess that’s it, Thanks everyone … I’m sorry to those I should be sorry to, I love you to those that I love, and I will see you all again soon (not too soon though) … Let the stories begin.”

He was recently let go by The Edge during restructuring, but prior to that, he hosted the Thursday 30 and broadcast live from the Phoenix and Velvet Underground (nightclubs) on Saturdays and Sundays respectively.

Sad.. I listened to his shows...

Very sad. Suicides are disturbing because you never know if the person was 'giving clues' to their intentions all along and you never caught on to it. Then you start to reflect, thinking maybe I could have intervened at some point and then you start to blame yourself for stuff. It's not an easy thing to deal with. My condolences to his family and friends.

Former Stanley Cup champion Reggie Fleming has passed away at the age of 73.

He played 12 seasons in the NHL with the Blackhawks, Rangers, Flyers, and Sabres.

He also played a couple of seasons in the WHA with the Chicago Cougars from 1972 to 1974.

He won the Stanley Cup with the Chicago Blackhawks in 1961.

REGULAR SEASON STATS

G: 108, A: 132, PTS: 240, PIMS: 1,468

Former world boxing champion Arturo Gatti was found dead in northeastern Brazil on Saturday at the age of 37.

Full Story

Mexican boxer Marco Nazareth has died in a Puerto Vallarta hospital after sustaining a brain hemorrhage in his last fight to Omar Chavez last Saturday.

He was 23 years old.

The Taco Bell dog has died from a stroke at the age of 15.

Canadian actor Les Lye of You Can't Do That On Television fame died at age 84.

Born in Toronto, Lye made stops at CFRA radio, CJOH television and starred on the satirical YTV hit that ran from 1979 to 1990.

Lye also had a hand in creating "Uncle Willy & Floyd," another popular show that ran for more than 20 years.

He is survived by his wife Johnni and three children

Author E. Lynn Michigan has passed away at the age of 54.

Some of the books that he wrote include the following:

"And This Too Shall Pass" (1997), "Not A Day Goes By" (2000), and "I Say A Little Prayer" (2006)

He was best known for his depictions of African American gay men on the down low or in the closet.

• 2 weeks later...

John Hughes, writer-director of "The Breakfast Club", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "Sixteen Candles", and "Home Alone", has passed away at the age of 59 from a heart attack that he suffered during a morning walk in Manhattan.

Just saw the post about Reg Varney form 'On the buses'.

Sad to hear that, although I honestly thought he had died years ago!

Just found out that author David Eddings died June 2, 2009, he wrote the Belgariad and Mallorean series of books, among others.

• 2 weeks later...