Celebrity Death Thread

Gregory

The only place I've heard of Paul Newman, is one the salad dressing package. :lol:
Are you serious? He made some excellent films: "Color of Money", "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", "Cool Hand Luke", "The Sting", "The Verdict" and "Cat on a hot tin roof".

Are you serious? He made some excellent films: "Color of Money", "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", "Cool Hand Luke", "The Sting", "The Verdict" and "Cat on a hot tin roof".

No, I haven't saw any of those movies. :) Sad isn't it, my GF thinks it's sad I haven't saw many movies before.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of celebrity, but does tons of movie trailer! I'll miss that guy!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080902/...obit_lafontaine

'In a world where . . .' Don LaFontaine no longer does movie trailers

Tue Sep 2, 5:19 PM

By Raquel Maria Dillon, The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Don LaFontaine, the man who popularized the catch phrase "In a world where. . ." and lent his voice to thousands of movie trailers, has died. He was 68.

LaFontaine died Monday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center from complications in the treatment of an ongoing illness, said Vanessa Gilbert, his agent.

LaFontaine made more than 5,000 trailers in his 33-year career while working for the top studios and television networks.

In a rare on-screen appearance in 2006, he parodied himself on a series of national television commercials for a car insurance company where he played himself telling a customer, "In a world where both of our cars were totally under water. . ."

In an interview last year, LaFontaine explained the strategy behind the phrase.

"We have to very rapidly establish the world we are transporting them to," he said of his viewers. "That's very easily done by saying, 'In a world where . . . violence rules.' 'In a world where . . . men are slaves and women are the conquerors.' You very rapidly set the scene."

LaFontaine insisted he never cared that no one knew his name or his face, though everyone knew his voice.

LaFontaine went to work in the promo industry in the early 1960s. As an audio engineer, he produced radio spots for movies with producer Floyd Peterson.

When an announcer didn't show up for a recording session in 1965, LaFontaine voiced his first narration, a promo for the film, "Gunfighters of Casa Grande." The client, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, liked his performance.

LaFontaine remained active until recently, averaging seven to 10 voiceover sessions a day. He worked from a home studio his wife nicknamed "The Hole," where his fax machine delivered scripts.

LaFontaine is survived by his wife, the singer and actress Nita Whitaker, and three daughters.

His funeral arrangements were pending.

Jerry Reed, country singer and actor on Aug 31. He played the role of "The Snowman" in Smokey and the Bandit as well as singing the famous trucking song "East Bound and Down" in that movie.

I love that movie (I have it!). He was a great redneck hillbilly trucker in that movie and Eastbound and Down is a catchy song I admit. :D RIP Mr. Reed :P

• 2 weeks later...

Former CFL quarterback and coaching legend Ron Lancaster has passed away at the age of 69 due to cancer.

Songwriter Norman Whitfield, who co-wrote a string of Motown classics including 'War' and 'I Heard It Through The Grapevine' has passed away at the age of 67. He suffered from complications of diabetes and had recently emerged from a coma.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...