If Wikipedia has a good page, should it be copied here.

Michael Taylor

Prefacing my remarks by saying that I am fairly new here.

It seems there are some great pages on transport (especially European) on Wikipedia with blank pages here on the CPTDB.

Is it fair to copy great chunks of that info or should the information be paraphrased into the author's own words?

One of the previous editors copied and pasted articles from Wikipedia.org when articles were needed here but not yet written.

I think that it's okay as a placeholder, until someone is ready/able to write a proper article.

Dan

• 2 months later...
But what if you are a Wikipedia editor (like me), and you want to copy your own work to CPTDB Wiki?

In a (simplified) nutshell, Wikipedia's text is GNU licensed, so you can use their text as long as it is reused under a similar license, and a link is provided back to the Wikipedia article in question. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights for more info.

• 4 months later...

On a related topic:

What policy exists for copying images from Wikipedia? I'm not looking at copying over pictures of buses, terminals etc. (as our pictures are usually much better than theirs :P) but small icons that could be used on the wiki. For example, a symbol for CCTV or bike racks could be used, since many systems are now adding those elements to their buses/properties.

Well, the various Metro Transit pages on our wiki have quite a few icons copied over from Wikipedia. Some (like the accessibility symbol) are copyrighted, but it is generally assumed that using them is alright as long as no one complains. I don't know about an official policy, though...

You can use images from Wikipedia for anything if the license is right. You can probably use those CCTV and bicycle symbols without permission. Just look for the copyright info on the image page.