Finch West LRT

yrt304

10 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Anyways, I had a bit of a look at the Eglinton and Finch power distribution while I was dropping guys off after football practice.  They’re definitely expecting to run less service on Finch compared to Eglinton.  There’s about 1/3 less conductor cross section strung up above Finch compared to Eglinton with the associated reduction in ampacity and what that implies for the number of cars or trains that can be run close together so they’re clearly not planning around running Eglinton levels of service in the near future.

I had noted that as well.

But as they still seem to be stringing up wire on Finch - or "strings", as they have been so eloquently calling it in the mailings to the locals - I was willing to wait and see if there were going to be any changes to the overhead configuration and sizing before service starts running.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2022 at 3:20 PM, Wayside Observer said:

Anyways, I had a bit of a look at the Eglinton and Finch power distribution while I was dropping guys off after football practice.  They’re definitely expecting to run less service on Finch compared to Eglinton.  There’s about 1/3 less conductor cross section strung up above Finch compared to Eglinton with the associated reduction in ampacity and what that implies for the number of cars or trains that can be run close together so they’re clearly not planning around running Eglinton levels of service in the near future.

Eglinton are minimum 200' long with the option of coupling another "car" to make it 300', where Finch is using ~150' long vehicles, so it may not just be service frequency they are building the overhead for. Does the Flexity draw more power (per foot of length) than the Citadis? Is the overhead being powered at the same voltage on both lines, or are they putting a higher voltage on line 6? Spacing between substations, are they closer together on line 6? ...

oh, last one ... Service frequency ... you can provide 5 minute service using less vehicles if you make the vehicles operate at a higher speed but space them further apart...maybe they are expecting to be able to provide the same service frequency on Finch West while using less vehicles spaced further apart, less total power draw...?

6 hours ago, Turtle said:

Eglinton are minimum 200' long with the option of coupling another "car" to make it 300', where Finch is using ~150' long vehicles, so it may not just be service frequency they are building the overhead for. Does the Flexity draw more power (per foot of length) than the Citadis? Is the overhead being powered at the same voltage on both lines, or are they putting a higher voltage on line 6? Spacing between substations, are they closer together on line 6? ...

oh, last one ... Service frequency ... you can provide 5 minute service using less vehicles if you make the vehicles operate at a higher speed but space them further apart...maybe they are expecting to be able to provide the same service frequency on Finch West while using less vehicles spaced further apart, less total power draw...?

The only one I know the answer to is it's going to be 750 V DC unless things have changed since I last checked since that's what Metrolinx was standardizing on for their LRTs.  In Ontario, that means there's two outliers from that standard, the TTC legacy streetcar system at 600ish volts and the Ottawa LRT at 1,500 V and that uses the same vehicles that Finch West is going to so there was a window of opportunity that existed before things got too far along where Metrolinx could've specified the same equipment package, bumped the line voltage and strung lighter overhead but as far as I know, they never changed the specifications and did that.  That's probably a good thing since the new LRT lines hopefully won't exist in isolation and you'd want standards that permit interoperability as the network hopefully grows.  Hopefully.  I can hope, right?   Service frequency, detailed power consumption figures?  That I don't have.

• Like 1

Ottawa is designed for up to 4 (somewhat shorter) cars though. So could have as many as pantographs. It's already running every 5 minutes - which is more frequent than we'll see Finch for a long time.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Ottawa is designed for up to 4 (somewhat shorter) cars though. So could have as many as pantographs. It's already running every 5 minutes - which is more frequent than we'll see Finch for a long time.

Ottawa's platforms are 300 feet long. That means that they can comfortably fit their trains, which are configured as a pair of 140-ish foot long cars - the same, in fact, as the ones being used on Finch West. (Save for the line voltage, requiring different transformers, and signal system.)

Dan

1 minute ago, smallspy said:

Ottawa's platforms are 300 feet long. That means that they can comfortably fit their trains, which are configured as a pair of 140-ish foot long cars - the same, in fact, as the ones being used on Finch West. (Save for the line voltage, requiring different transformers, and signal system.)

I thought the platforms were 120 metres long, with a pair of 48-metre cars - or four 30-metre cars.