Finch West LRT

yrt304

speaking of 'no one wants" a car yard in their backyard...where do they plan on putting the Finch West carhouse?

Some grass field east of Highway 400 and west of Jane.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/transitexpansionprojects/20140709_finch_west_open_house.aspx

Second slide has information on the yard's EA (which hasn't been completed). I don't remember them completing it nor is there any statement of completion on the website.

People won't be please cause there is a hospital near by. It's beside a shopping mall and there is a soccer field behind there where there is kids. Hotels are just across the road and residents are within 200m.

This is the view from Google maps:

On Finch: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.75631,-79.522649,3a,75y,339.65h,92.2t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sG1SuptBMrAxBrSffeYmOAQ!2e0

On York Gates Blvd: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.757888,-79.521245,3a,75y,245.42h,93.47t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swt_WasRTaDAzESoZySk2yQ!2e0

Near by, we can see the old Classics 6221 and 6223 on google maps. :D

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.757801,-79.52848,3a,75y,59.49h,76.64t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-wOcqvkI1ErcRzbPLFylIQ!2e0

People won't be please cause there is a hospital near by. It's beside a shopping mall and there is a soccer field behind there where there is kids. Hotels are just across the road and residents are within 200m.

Someone better move Roncesvalles before the general public finds out about its existence. :rolleyes:

Someone better move Roncesvalles before the general public finds out about its existence. :rolleyes:

Roncy existed way before St Joseph's and half the stuff around there. People just put up with it.

Residents even want Russell closed when Leslie Barns open. Good thing TTC won't do what they desired. Wychwood barns is their biggest mistake ever.

Wychwood barns is their biggest mistake ever.

Closing Wychwood wasn't their biggest mistake ever. Closing Wychwood and not taking advantage of the brownfield lands along the railway corridor to the west to build a replacement before developers got their hands on it was their biggest mistake ever.

On that note, it's too bad that Metrolinx wasn't more serious about the "Jane" LRT line as a stand alone route or as a branch of the Crosstown. The ability to share resources between the Crosstown and Finch maitenence facilities could save some money rather than having to duplicate everything.

On that note, it's too bad that Metrolinx wasn't more serious about the "Jane" LRT line as a stand alone route or as a branch of the Crosstown. The ability to share resources between the Crosstown and Finch maitenence facilities could save some money rather than having to duplicate everything.

The way the cars are built, they could build the heavy-maintenance facility in Barrie for all they cared. Every single mechanical component will be removed from the car for an overhaul, so all you need is a pit, a drop-table and an overhead gantry for removal and installation of the components. About the only savings that they might be able to find is the paint booth.

Dan

A couple of Open Houses will be hosted for the Finch West LRT public consultation

(Dates provided by the City of Toronto)

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

6:30pm to 9:00pm

Jane-Finch Mall

1911 Finch Avenue West

(SE corner of Finch Ave and Jane St)

Thursday, August 7, 2008

6:30pm to 9:00pm

Elmbank Community Centre

10 Rampart Rd

(off Martingrove Rd, south of Finch Ave)

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/et...w_lrt/index.htm

Mammo's complaining the public was never consulted on this project (and will subsequently drag his heels if given the chance). Perhaps his memory doesn't go that far back?! Given that it's been 7 years since that round of consultation is another warranted just to placate him and those who share his mindset?

The way the cars are built, they could build the heavy-maintenance facility in Barrie for all they cared. Every single mechanical component will be removed from the car for an overhaul, so all you need is a pit, a drop-table and an overhead gantry for removal and installation of the components. About the only savings that they might be able to find is the paint booth.

Dan

By "saving some money", I was also including the costs associated with reducing the impact on the community since the former Kodak lands are more isolated than the proposed Finch LRT site. Of course, the mall owners next to the Finch facility would hate if a maitenence facility with well paying jobs would be downgraded to nothing more than a storage yard.

Under my calculation, they only need 18 + 20% spare ration = 22 LRVs on Finch West.

This is based on 2800 passenger (metrolinx's number) per hour in 2031 and approximately 20 minute to travel the entire line (my estimate). They can really just truck the LRVs to Eglinton like how the SRT Mark I's are trucked to Greenwood. The full line was estimated to be 37 LRVs by the TTC.

Eglinton LRT needs 38 minutes to travel the entire line (Metrolinx's number) with 5400 passenger per hour in 2031. They need 66 LRVs plus 20% spare ration, that is roughly 79 LRVs. That carhouse can house 162 LRVs so there's plenty of room there. The full Eglinton line needs 118 LRVs.

Sheppard LRT and SRT replacement is estimated to be 35 and 48 LRVs respectively by the TTC. Since Sheppard is shorten to Morningside, deducing 2 will give 33 LRVs.

Adding it up
Eglinton - 79

Sheppard East - 33

Finch West - 22

SRT Replacement - 48

Total 182

101 LRVs can be handled with one facility the size of Leslie Barn id they really want to save money.

Under my calculation, they only need 18 + 20% spare ration = 22 LRVs on Finch West.

So similar to the Metrolinx estimate of 23 cars.

Eglinton - 79

Sheppard East - 33

Finch West - 22

SRT Replacement - 48

Total 182

101 LRVs can be handled with one facility the size of Leslie Barn id they really want to save money.

Metrolinx estimated 76 cars for Eglinton. And 35 cars for Sheppard AFTER Sheppard was shortened to Morningside. Not sure where the 35 before shortening estimate comes from - presumably it's older, as TTC hasn't been involved since before the shortening.

Still, your numbers are very similar. Presumably methodologies are the same.

It's unfortunate the Finch and Sheppard car houses can't be combined. Finch and Eglinton might just work, but leaves no room for the already planned expansion of each line, along with the cost of the connecting track.

It's unfortunate the Finch and Sheppard car houses can't be combined. Finch and Eglinton might just work, but leaves no room for the already planned expansion of each line, along with the cost of the connecting track.

If they don't build the connecting track between Eglinton and Finch, we'll have to wait until the second phase of both lines which will connect at Pearson.

If they don't build the connecting track between Eglinton and Finch, we'll have to wait until the second phase of both lines which will connect at Pearson.

Given it's over 8 km from Eglinton to Finch, and the Finch LRT is only 11 km long, surely it would be cheaper to build two car houses!

Given it's over 8 km from Eglinton to Finch, and the Finch LRT is only 11 km long, surely it would be cheaper to build two car houses!

Which is why I was saying that centralization of maitenence facilities only works if "Jane" was also under construction. (I use quotations around Jane because I'm not sure if Jane is the overal best choice for a North-South LRT line in the west end.)

Which is why I was saying that centralization of maitenence facilities only works if "Jane" was also under construction. (I use quotations around Jane because I'm not sure if Jane is the overal best choice for a North-South LRT line in the west end.)

Jane is a busy enough route that could use LRT in the future. It just isn't a regional route and isn't really needed south of Eglinton.

Jane is a busy enough route that could use LRT in the future. It just isn't a regional route and isn't really needed south of Eglinton.

Actually, I was thinking in terms of how well it would physically fit along Jane. I know there are a few spots where it gets tricky.

And I do wonder if the portion south of Eglinton would be better off being a part of the legacy network.

Actually, I was thinking in terms of how well it would physically fit along Jane. I know there are a few spots where it gets tricky.

And I do wonder if the portion south of Eglinton would be better off being a part of the legacy network.

South of eglinton is very tight. They'll lose parking on the side for sure. It really doesn't make sense to build some legacy tracks from Bloor to eglinton.

Actually, it does when you consider the proposal to extend the 512 to Jane to link up with the Jane LRT.

So you are proposing that Jane be built as legacy from Bloor to Eglinton with a loop at Jane/Eglinton and north of Jane be built as standard gauge? Unless the entire Jane line is built as legacy, I don't think there is a point beyond extending the 512 to Jane. The whole purpose of extending to Jane was to house the 512 cars at Eglinton if Transit City used TTC gauge. There isn't enough ridership south of Eglinton to justify a streetcar route. Most people will not ride from Eglinton/Jane to a location along the 512 either, they just want to get to the subway.

This is only going to work if the Eglinton carhouse can service legacy streetcars which it can't. The only valid routing I see is extending to the 512 to Jane and south to Bloor, west a block and down South Kingsway to The Queensway and connect to the 501. Then you can have a streetcar going from Eglinton to Jane Station and maybe down to The Queensway to Roncy and the Roncy carhouse. Yay.

If they build the Waterfront west bypass to Union Station. There can be a new streetcar route from Jane/Eglinton to Union Station that will be stuffed with people.

This is only going to work if the Eglinton carhouse can service legacy streetcars which it can't.

Actually, that was the original idea with the Jane LRT. It's just that Jane wasn't that far along when the decision to go with standard gauge for the Transit City lines happened and there's been no further work on Jane for obvious reasons.

The only valid routing I see is extending to the 512 to Jane and south to Bloor, west a block and down South Kingsway to The Queensway and connect to the 501. Then you can have a streetcar going from Eglinton to Jane Station and maybe down to The Queensway to Roncy and the Roncy carhouse.

Well, it is an old idea.

Extending the 512 to Jane has been on the TTC's wish list since well before Transit City.

Dan

That or linking it to Dundas West station via Runnymede.

• 1 year later...
43 minutes ago, 38 Highland Creek said:

Likeliest Siemens will get awarded if Metrolinx cancels its contract with Bombardier.

Did you check Siemens backlog to see if Metrolinx order can be handle??

They just got a contract for 122 car for Seattle, with delivery starting 2019; have an order between 175-250 depending on funding for SF starting in 2017.

If Metrolinx is going out for a true tender, you have Alston, CAF, CNR, Siemens and at least 4 other supplier to obtain bid from. Will Mississauga and Hamilton Cars be part of this bid or will they come out later??? 

2 hours ago, drum118 said:

Did you check Siemens backlog to see if Metrolinx order can be handle??

They just got a contract for 122 car for Seattle, with delivery starting 2019; have an order between 175-250 depending on funding for SF starting in 2017.

If Metrolinx is going out for a true tender, you have Alston, CAF, CNR, Siemens and at least 4 other supplier to obtain bid from. Will Mississauga and Hamilton Cars be part of this bid or will they come out later??? 

The agencies have told the three consortia bidding on the Finch West LRT that they can include a vehicle supplier as part of their bids.

The article seems to imply each consortium would include a LRV supplier. Like the Edmonton's Valley Line consortium which includes Bombardier's Flexity and Ottawa's Confederation line included Alstom's Citadis. Every line could potentially get different vehicles. They aren't doing a tender for just vehicles.

• Like 1

CAF were late on their Kansas City and Cincinnati orders, not to mention the debacle that is the Amtrak Viewliner IIs...

that said, a smaller order like Finch might attract a variety of providers that a megaorder would scare off. One would hope that by the time Bombardier actually produces 182 Freedoms that Metrolinx will have rail for them to run on, just not on Finch.