Finch West LRT

yrt304

The enhanced service money might be used for cancellation fees to Bombardier I read yesterday, I think it was on NP

Could they not just Utilize the cars for Eglinton and the RT Replacement? I dont think there would be anything to cancel.

Plus just change the LRT order to subways. It's all coming from the same company anyways.

Could they not just Utilize the cars for Eglinton and the RT Replacement? I dont think there would be anything to cancel.

Plus just change the LRT order to subways. It's all coming from the same company anyways.

They are using some of the LRT cars in the current order on Eglinton/SRT. The problem is that the province ordered enough cars for Sheppard and Eglinton; the extra cars need something done with them.

With plans underfoot for LRT along Hurontario, one would wonder why Metrolinx isn't considering putting the extra cars towards this line instead. McCallion has already expressed interest in taking cars from Toronto if they didn't want them.

They are using some of the LRT cars in the current order on Eglinton/SRT. The problem is that the province ordered enough cars for Sheppard and Eglinton; the extra cars need something done with them.

With plans underfoot for LRT along Hurontario, one would wonder why Metrolinx isn't considering putting the extra cars towards this line instead. McCallion has already expressed interest in taking cars from Toronto if they didn't want them.

Well by the time the cars start to arrive, 4 years would have passed, and there may be a new Mayor in town who thinks differently, resulting in other "Transit City" projects being approved. So we may need those cars in the future. (Wishful thinking)

If the money was there I think there is a chance now that the 118 route could work if it was marketed right having 2 branches 118 Finch Via Allen to Humberline and the 118A Finch Via Allen to Kipling running Monday to Friday 6 AM to 8 PM at start just to see how it works to Downsview station until the YUS extention to York is up and running. After that just cut the route and also have only every other 36 bus run east of the Finch West subway station when its up and opened.

• 5 months later...

With the Provincial election looming I came across this article on what Etobicoke residents want in terms of transit for their part of the City:

Inside Toronto: Etobicoke's Transit Needs Unique From Rest of City

Part of the article dealt with Humber College's North Campus and the cancelled Finch LRT. The College is still going ahead with redevelopment/expansion plans that were drawn up in anticipation of the line eventually reaching the campus. One particular project is the construction of a transit terminal to serve TTC, MiWay, Brampton Transit, YRT and GO Transit rather than stopping on-street. I presume the LRT line woud also have terminated at the same location. They're hoping that the plan will eventually be revived in the future. "If you build it, they will come" seems to apply here, hopefully sooner than later.

Meanwhie the businessman who sides with Ford on subways instead of buses because of the greater capacity seems to be uninformed about the intermediate capacity the LRT would have provided. It's been stated that LRT was chosen as densities did not merit the use of a subway along the corridor. I'm sure for all the people for subways, there'd be just as many complaining that they're running nearly empty most of the time like Sheppard. On the other hand it seems as if he's all for the implementation of Presto (or some other smartcard) that would allow for fare-by-distance. Perhaps a more concerted effort by the Board of Trade or other business associations to inform and press for improvements is needed.

If I was living in Etobicoke, I would not be in favour of fare-by-distance. Suburban residents have to travel further than core residents, and will end up paying more. Mr. Singh has no clue, especially if he is comparing the cost of transit to driving. He actually believes that because he live only 2 km from work, he is paying $1 to drive. His logic is, he should only pay .50 to take the bus. God...

If I was living in Etobicoke, I would not be in favour of fare-by-distance. Suburban residents have to travel further than core residents, and will end up paying more. Mr. Singh has no clue, especially if he is comparing the cost of transit to driving. He actually believes that because he live only 2 km from work, he is paying $1 to drive. His logic is, he should only pay .50 to take the bus. God...
People who take transit further, cost the TTC more than those who only take it a kilometre or so. Drivers pay more to driver further. Why shouldn't transit users pay more to take transit further?

People who take transit further, cost the TTC more than those who only take it a kilometre or so. Drivers pay more to driver further. Why shouldn't transit users pay more to take transit further?

Try telling a rexdale resident they should pay more to travel to their job because "it's fair".

I can see a fare by zone, but fare by distance will almost totally kill off the chance of the disadvantaged in need of work and the people driving in downtown from the northwestern/northeastearn part of the city

Try telling a rexdale resident they should pay more to travel to their job because "it's fair".
But it's okay for a Brampton resident to pay more to their job ... even though they may travel a much shorter distance than the guy in Rexdale who commutes to Scarborough?

What about the person who only goes 10 stops ... is it fair he pays $3? Perhaps he never leaves Rexdale. Perhaps he is poor as well.

But it's okay for a Brampton resident to pay more to their job ... even though they may travel a much shorter distance than the guy in Rexdale who commutes to Scarborough?

Being a former Brampton resident, I traveled a fair distance to my student job, and to Bramalea City Centre, like many Brampton residents. Not that should even matter. No one in Brampton travels a short distance on the bus. Hell, no one in the suburbs uses transit for short distances. Fare by distance will only benefit the core, and ding the people that you want to use transit. You really want to tell the guy who travels to Scarborough from Rexdale, he should pay more?

What about the person who only goes 10 stops ... is it fair he pays $3? Perhaps he never leaves Rexdale. Perhaps he is poor as well.

I have no idea. Point is, many suburban riders travel long distances to their jobs, and telling them they should pay more, so the guy who only goes 10 stops should pay less, will not be well received. But hey, give it a shot. I am not stopping you.

What gets me is that he lives 2 kilometres from work, AND HE DRIVES!! I've seen school kids walk that distance. Save yourself the 50 cents in gas and invest it in your health! The article doesn't state what kind of job he has, but he didn't make the argument of having to come and go throughout the day. I know someone who works about 1 kilometre from work and during the summer heard complaints about high gas prices. Sometimes I think people have automatically defaulted to the car as the only means of getting around.

• 3 years later...

Start construction 2016

Start construction 2016, open 2021 for 11 km from Humber to Keele? No where near.

No. When Transit City was announced in 2007 it was 18 km to Yonge.

When the Ontario government funded it in 2009, it was extended 6 km down Finch East (now 24 km long) and Don Mills Road to Don Mlls subway station, and was to open in 2013.

In 2010 when the province deferred most of the route (13 km from Keele to Don Mills Road) to Phase 2, they were still announcing it would open in 2019.

As recently as a few weeks ago, the Metrolinx site still claimed it would open in 2020.

So 2021 is 8 years late, and 13 km short.

Hope they enjoy riding artics for the next decade :D

...more like forever! Norm Kelly & gang, plus the Scarborough Liberal caucus and other luminaries know why!

On an unrelated note, by watching nextbus for the last few weeks, I noticed that a maximum of 4 of the 5 new streetcars are in service concurrently on weekdays (with the 5th out of service for the entire work-week, i.e. Monday through Friday).

The exception is weekend afternoons, when all 5 are in service (at least that has been the case for the last four weekends).

Perhaps they want to balance out the mileage, so they use one car as a spare.

Maybe when the LRTs on Hurontario, Eglinton Crosstown and Finch West opens, they can have a concrete example to compare with. Then they can realize that LRT isn't so bad after all. (Or is that bad if Metrolinx screws up).

I sense that with 1) sub ext to Vaughan, 2) Eg Crosstown, 3) new Scar RT (whatever mode it is ) and now 4) new Finch LRT and then maybe? Sheppard, and then maybe Smarttrack.....is there gonna be any bucks at all left for probably one of the most important, the downtown relief line? and if so, how far away (as in decades) is that?

also how are we going to operate all of this? we cannot afford to operate what we now have.

and then the City(read us, taxpayers) have little problems like community housing falling down and a Gardiner to fix and/or tear down and on and on.....

I sense that with 1) sub ext to Vaughan, 2) Eg Crosstown, 3) new Scar RT (whatever mode it is ) and now 4) new Finch LRT and then maybe? Sheppard, and then maybe Smarttrack.....is there gonna be any bucks at all left for probably one of the most important, the downtown relief line? and if so, how far away (as in decades) is that?

Give it up, we'll never see it.

also how are we going to operate all of this? we cannot afford to operate what we now have.

and then the City(read us, taxpayers) have little problems like community housing falling down and a Gardiner to fix and/or tear down and on and on.....

DRL, forget it. The city can't even fund $300m for that Waterfront East LRT that was put on priority in the late reign of the Ford Era.

Where are they going to find $6b? Provincial or federal funding for a downtown subway doesn't bring votes.They will only chip in a small portion. That's why they rather do REL instead. The next thing they are going to argue is where to put that new subway yard for the DRL cause no one wants it in their backyard.

Metrolinx predicts 2025+ opening for the DRL. Construction in the late 2020s would be more likely. SmartTrack/REL would push that later as riders would be diverted away. If everyone just use the GO in the burbs with an integrated TTC fare, priority for the DRL will disappear.

Finch LRT and Hurontario LRT will open before the SRT replacement. Scarborough will be behind in transit for sure.

DRL, forget it. The city can't even fund $300m for that Waterfront East LRT that was put on priority in the late reign of the Ford Era.

Where are they going to find $6b? Provincial or federal funding for a downtown subway doesn't bring votes.They will only chip in a small portion. That's why they rather do REL instead. The next thing they are going to argue is where to put that new subway yard for the DRL cause no one wants it in their backyard.

Metrolinx predicts 2025+ opening for the DRL. Construction in the late 2020s would be more likely. SmartTrack/REL would push that later as riders would be diverted away. If everyone just use the GO in the burbs with an integrated TTC fare, priority for the DRL will disappear.

Finch LRT and Hurontario LRT will open before the SRT replacement. Scarborough will be behind in transit for sure.

speaking of 'no one wants" a car yard in their backyard...where do they plan on putting the Finch West carhouse?

And Sheppard won't see any constructions for the next 5 years. Hope they enjoy riding artics for the next decade :D

Good for them, I dont pitty them at all. If residents dont like to put pressure on their local politicians, then they'll continue to flip-flop for the next 30 years while transit is built elsewhere. The end result will be Scarborough having the SRT until at least 2030 at this rate.

Although to be honest, the province could build the Sheppard LRT with ease right now if they really wanted to.