Eglinton Crosstown line

31 minutes ago, Archer said:

I can't be the only one who hates Metrolinx's overuse of white for walls / ceilings / floors. It's not an operating theatre...

You don't have to match tiles or paint colours if everything is exactly the same colour across your entire line. Probably makes that cheaper for the consortium that will be in charge of maintaining the stations for the next 30 years.

As much as I appreciate the organized colour pattern on the original sections of the subway (up to 1968), it appears like TTC has given up bothering to even attempt at matching the existing tiles for things like the elevator corridors or secondary exits, which for many stations along Line 2 use tiles that are completely different colours and sizes. At least white is easier to colour-match in the aisles of Home Depot or Rona.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

I can't be the only one who hates Metrolinx's overuse of white for walls / ceilings / floors. It's not an operating theatre...

It's hardly just Metrolinx. Go into any office done in the last 5 to 10 years. Whites, greys, creams. Maybe a grey with the slightest hint of grey. And only the very occasional splash of colour. It's so frigging depressing. And the whites age poorly and quickly look like stained crap.

It's so dull and uninspired. 

Kind of like car colours these days. 

• 2 weeks later...

Eglinton Crosstown West Extension for stations, rail and systems RFQ or request for qualifications has now been posted. 

The scope of work includes:

• Seven new stations from Mount Dennis to Renforth Drive;
  • Installation, testing, and commissioning of all rail and track components and systems equipment;
  • Roadway modifications and utility works; and
  • Coordination with project companies on handover items from the advance tunnelling and elevated guideway contracts.

Link to the RFQ details here: https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/en/what-we-do/projectssearch/eglinton-crosstown-west-extension/

6 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Eglinton Crosstown West Extension for stations, rail and systems RFQ or request for qualifications has now been posted. 

The scope of work includes:

• Seven new stations from Mount Dennis to Renforth Drive;
  • Installation, testing, and commissioning of all rail and track components and systems equipment;
  • Roadway modifications and utility works; and
  • Coordination with project companies on handover items from the advance tunnelling and elevated guideway contracts.

Link to the RFQ details here: https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/en/what-we-do/projectssearch/eglinton-crosstown-west-extension/

Why are they only starting the tender process for constructing the stations when the tunnelling has been underway for the past two years?

Underground stations aren't like a house that can go up in 6 months... I have a feeling there will be a long delay between when the tunnels/tracks are ready and when the line is able to accept passengers. If you look at Line 5 right now, trains have been able to run through the full length of the line for a while now. It's the station work that is holding things up the most.

3 hours ago, Articulated said:

Why are they only starting the tender process for constructing the stations when the tunnelling has been underway for the past two years?

Underground stations aren't like a house that can go up in 6 months... I have a feeling there will be a long delay between when the tunnels/tracks are ready and when the line is able to accept passengers. If you look at Line 5 right now, trains have been able to run through the full length of the line for a while now. It's the station work that is holding things up the most.

The contracts for Eglinton Crosstown West and Ontario Line are issued in separate pieces and sections. To try and minimize issues versus having one major contractor doing the entire project along with the financial risk if the consortium runs into financial issues along with migrating risk trying to finalize design plans and construction delivery. 

Personally, I am not a big fan of how major projects are issued in smaller pieces between different parties. Considering that here are the different contracts issued for the west extension noted below:

• Advance tunnel 1 (Renforth to Scarlett)
  • Elevated guideway (Scarlett to Jane)
  • Advance tunnel 2 (Jane to Mount Dennis)
  • Stations, rails and signalling system 

Infrastructure Ontario is trying to avoid the issues with Eglinton Crosstown Phase 1. Especially with 10+ years of construction and no definite timeline for opening. I think it will be interesting how having multiple contracts issued will workout compared to the one major contract awarded to a consortium of multiple companies undertaking the same work.

I'm more interested in what Metrolinx is going to name the stations with already existing names: Martin Grove, Kipling, Islington, Royal York and Jane.  Renforth and Scarlett will be new names to the system, or have they decided to modify their stance on repeating names and names with a cardinal direction slapped onto it? 

• Martin Grove: Willowridge or Richview/Richview Park 
  • Kipling: Kipling/Eglinton (I can't think of one and I'm not sure if the Queen/Spadina and King/Bathurst station names on the Ontario Line are finalized or just placeholders, but Jane & Finch despite the connotation sets the precedent on Line 6/Finch LRT), Princess... (Anne and Margaret have neighbourhoods on either side of Kipling)
  • Islington: Richview (after the high school)
  • Royal York: Westmount, Humber... (Heights/Valley - antonym neighbourhoods on either side of Eglinton)
  • Jane: Eglinton Flats

Why wasn't Sloane doubled up with Bermondsey in its name or were they saving it just in case?  I figured Bermondsey was likely the more known name because of the waste transfer station.

I never saw the need to completely rename Sheppard to Sheppard-Yonge as the complex would likely have been called that similar to the Bloor-Yonge complex with each station keeping its name.  If they wanted to rename the station (Princess Royal after the late Diana, Princess of Wales was thrown around at the time), they should have used Lansing which is the historic name for the community at the intersection and is commemorated on the street signs on the surface.  Yonge and Eglinton unfortunately doesn't have a name it can use.  I'd rather see a hyphenated name for the complex like Eglinton West-Cedarvale with each station keeping its name to save the cost of rebranding. 

• 2 weeks later...

Some days you see quite a few trains trundling along the east part of the line, some signed "TRAINING CAR". Other days, like today, there's nothing. I don't know what that means, if anything.

I also wonder what exactly will keep instagramming explorers out of the tunnel east of Leslie. It looks quite inviting, actually, with a handrail and everything.

47 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Some days you see quite a few trains trundling along the east part of the line, some signed "TRAINING CAR". Other days, like today, there's nothing. I don't know what that means, if anything.

I also wonder what exactly will keep instagramming explorers out of the tunnel east of Leslie. It looks quite inviting, actually, with a handrail and everything.

I’m more than certain that Metrolinx will stay on top of trespassers at track level

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bus_7246 said:

I’m more than certain that Metrolinx will stay on top of trespassers at track level

Better than a streetcar staying on top of trespassers at track level, I guess.

On 4/5/2024 at 1:17 PM, bus_7246 said:

How will they stay on top of trespassers going in, is my question. Just what the star-crossed line needs, delays "due to trespassers at track level".

I suppose there may not have been issues with people wandering in via the various streetcar portals (Spadina, Queen's Quay, St. Clair West), but neither are those routes ATC, which I believe the underground portion of Eglinton will be.

When driving eastbound on Eglinton from Leslie, the tunnel opening looks awfully inviting, sitting right there. And presumably more interesting than the short tunnels on the streetcar system.

46 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

How will they stay on top of trespassers going in, is my question. Just what the star-crossed line needs, delays "due to trespassers at track level".

I suppose there may not have been issues with people wandering in via the various streetcar portals (Spadina, Queen's Quay, St. Clair West), but neither are those routes ATC, which I believe the underground portion of Eglinton will be.

When driving eastbound on Eglinton from Leslie, the tunnel opening looks awfully inviting, sitting right there. And presumably more interesting than the short tunnels on the streetcar system.

The real concern is sabotage. If they want to get run over, that's not really a financial concern. They just need some motion detectors and if it doesn't align with train movements, it could trigger an alert. CCTV could be installed to monitor the portal if necessary. Infrared cameras would be able to pick up heat signature that aligns with walking. All of this detection could be automated with AI nowadays. 

Not sure if ML is smart enough through. They don't seem to able to figure out that the trains barely fit in the tunnels which is a pretty elementary thing. TTC wasn't stupid enough to make that mistake.

18 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The real concern is sabotage. If they want to get run over, that's not really a financial concern. They just need some motion detectors and if it doesn't align with train movements, it could trigger an alert. CCTV could be installed to monitor the portal if necessary. Infrared cameras would be able to pick up heat signature that aligns with walking. All of this detection could be automated with AI nowadays. 

Not sure if ML is smart enough through. They don't seem to able to figure out that the trains barely fit in the tunnels which is a pretty elementary thing. TTC wasn't stupid enough to make that mistake.

No more a concern than what’s already been around 70 years now.

I guess we'll see how often service is paused while they chase someone out.

I think that tunnel looks way more tempting than any current streetcar portal. (Heck, it looks tempting to me.)

It was only a few days ago when I saw Line 1 shuttles at Lawrence West, due to yet another trespasser at track level. And you have to be a bit more ambitious to get to track level on the subway, what with high platforms and fencing in open cuts and by portals. Eglinton has a nice bike path that will take you right to that Leaside portal.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ed T. said:

How will they stay on top of trespassers going in,

They have the Infra Red curtain in the stations that will stop service as soon as someone goes past the platform edge. Gonna be fun.

On 4/7/2024 at 8:01 AM, Turtle said:

They have the Infra Red curtain in the stations that will stop service as soon as someone goes past the platform edge. Gonna be fun.

It's LIDAR: https://www.molinarisensors.com/

There's usually different responses depending on the detection, platform screen sensors are most likely going to trigger a speed reduction/operator alert.

23 hours ago, Flalex72 said:

It's LIDAR: https://www.molinarisensors.com/

There's usually different responses depending on the detection, platform screen sensors are most likely going to trigger a speed reduction/operator alert.

Stop and stay initially for a train in the immediate area, and then unsafe platform when things are under control. IMO of course. 

Nothing protecting the portals as far as I can tell, so someone walking down the ramps off the street may not be seen by anybody.

Stop and stay initially for a train in the immediate area, and then unsafe platform when things are under control. IMO of course. 

Nothing protecting the portals as far as I can tell, so someone walking down the ramps off the street may not be seen by anybody.

Why can't they do what Vancouver does?  It's not like this is a new issue.  Is it a cost issue?  If so, shame on them.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.apta.com/wp-content/uploads/RC17-Hulse_Jon.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi3--jxuL-FAxXBkYkEHQekAOIQFnoECBUQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1pamjbWN_sZY8UhPKKJRQ9

13 minutes ago, TransitCurling said:

Just because one person anecdotally said they didn’t see anything, doesn’t mean they’re not there.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Let's say Line 5 starts service this year in 2024

The trains came starting in 2019 and has been sitting for 3-5 years not in revenue service.

If the trains have a design service life of 30 years (kind of like the argument TTC is using to retire the T1s), will the Flexity Freedoms retire in 2049 or 2054?
Does a train's design life starts from when they were built or when they start revenue service (in general)?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Let's say Line 5 starts service this year in 2024

The trains came starting in 2019 and has been sitting for 3-5 years not in revenue service.

If the trains have a design service life of 30 years (kind of like the argument TTC is using to retire the T1s), will the Flexity Freedoms retire in 2049 or 2054?
Does a train's design life starts from when they were built or when they start revenue service (in general)?

Wouldn't that depend on the condition of the vehicles by that time?

If the body is corroded due to weathering, they would retire once deemed unfit for service.