Eglinton Crosstown line

On 8/27/2023 at 4:24 PM, Ed T. said:

I don't see any income restrictions in Hazelburn Co-op's info: FAQ | Hazelburn Co-op

Also, according to this article, the Co-op is funded federally, so it is not "Ontario housing" (which these days is Doug's buddies building on the Greenbelt): Did Olivia Chow Really Live In Subsidized Housing As Her Opponents Claim? | HuffPost Politics

Other than that, sure.

If I had known about those places all that time ago...that looks like an ideal place to live. In exchange for discounted rent in a positive community, I have to do some work to maintain/improve that community... sign me up for janitorial and landscaping/urban farming if it saves me up to $1500/month on what equivalent units go for in that area. Dude, I'll clip flowers and pick up needles all day for that discount. Give me a nice warm hug when I'm gathering tomatoes and I'll be happy.

40 minutes ago, Turtle said:

If I had known about those places all that time ago...that looks like an ideal place to live. In exchange for discounted rent in a positive community, I have to do some work to maintain/improve that community... sign me up for janitorial and landscaping/urban farming if it saves me up to $1500/month on what equivalent units go for in that area. Dude, I'll clip flowers and pick up needles all day for that discount. Give me a nice warm hug when I'm gathering tomatoes and I'll be happy.

There are a surprising number of co-ops across the city. I hated having one on my "to visit" list because it was almost impossible to find any building staff. I guess they were all out weeding the squash patch. Anyway, sure, look at what's good, and get yourself on the waiting list.

8 hours ago, Ed T. said:

There are a surprising number of co-ops across the city. I hated having one on my "to visit" list because it was almost impossible to find any building staff. I guess they were all out weeding the squash patch. Anyway, sure, look at what's good, and get yourself on the waiting list.

The waiting list is closed at the one Layton/Chow rented at.

I remember one coworker who owned a unit in a coop - he complained about the crackhead above him flooding her washroom on a regular basis. At least his problem was with bathtub water. I'll trade him my old guy above me who regularly floods his bathroom when he clogs his toilet. Dude, stop flushing, it ain't going down.

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing shocking about it is that no bigwig had to take the fall for a project run so badly. More than 10 years to build a transit line that is basically a straight line. Other projects vastly more complex are already complete like the Elizabeth line in London and the MTR East rail line extension across the harbour. The fact that there is no timeline to start testing means there are major problems with the construction that can't be solved within 6 months or even a year. 

11 minutes ago, erniewitt said:

The only thing shocking about it is that no bigwig had to take the fall for a project run so badly. More than 10 years to build a transit line that is basically a straight line. Other projects vastly more complex are already complete like the Elizabeth line in London and the MTR East rail line extension across the harbour. The fact that there is no timeline to start testing means there are major problems with the construction that can't be solved within 6 months or even a year. 

*yet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, erniewitt said:

Lol yeah, the “Shocker” was sarcastic for sure. It’s just all so ridiculous and pathetic. Every time I go to the Yonge and eglinton area it still looks like it’s another 5 years from being complete

22 hours ago, erniewitt said:

Testing has started - we have seen a few of the vehicles out there. They did show a graphic in the powerpoint (can't find it now, unfortunately) that shows the construction is near completion - it's the testing and systems integration that is the issue now.

25 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

When we all thought TTC managing the TYSSE construction was bad. The real problem is ML never built a subway before.

But how is there any accountability here? No update, no clear answer as to what needs to be done. And the head of the organization gets to keep his job as if there is nothing wrong. 

I thought they were going to do a "shakeup" of the whole org?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Young said:

This was posted on twitter

It also says 73 Royal York will terminate at Mount Dennis station and a new 901 Eglinton-Airport express will also terminate here

IMG_0255.jpeg

It seems like the 73B has replaced the 155 Emmett bus. All they had to do is connect Eglinton/Scarlett with Eglinton/Emmett which is a mere 2 minutes of driving.

In the small text it says 73B via Emmett and La Rose. Something like that

2 hours ago, Young said:

This was posted on twitter

It also says 73 Royal York will terminate at Mount Dennis station and a new 901 Eglinton-Airport express will also terminate here

IMG_0255.jpeg

Interesting regarding the 901 Eglinton West Express to Mount Dennis/Airport which is more of a gap measure until the extension opens.

9 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Interesting regarding the 901 Eglinton West Express to Mount Dennis/Airport which is more of a gap measure until the extension opens.

I guess it’ll only stop at Weston,Jane,Scarlett,Royal York,Islington,Kipling and Martin Grove and maybe Renforth Station. then either take the 427 to the Airport or Renforth Drive?

14 minutes ago, Young said:

I guess it’ll only stop at Weston,Jane,Scarlett,Royal York,Islington,Kipling and Martin Grove and maybe Renforth Station. then either take the 427 to the Airport or Renforth Drive?

Pretty much where the major transfer points are to other routes.

If it does loop into Renforth Station, it can utilize Renforth Drive and Silver Dart to reach Terminal 1 and then loop into Terminal 3 afterwards when going westbound. 

3 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

You would still need a bus to the airport after the extension opens since the lrt still doesn't go to the airport.

5 hours ago, Young said:

Unless it takes the 427, there will be barely any time saving with the ongoing LRT construction. Otherwise. resources would be better deploy on the 32 and extending it to the airport. instead.

• Like 1

They would be better running any Airport Express service through Dixon/Lawrence, that way it would actually service riders (compared with a relatively empty Eglinton West service) with more frequent service along Dixon/Lawerence who would use the service as there are huge employment hubs along that stretch. Sure it would duplicate part of the Lawrence West Express, but service along Dixon is appallingly bad so it would actually service as an improvement.

It would also be extremely useful for those who live around that stretch to connect to the Crosstown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lip said:

They would be better running any Airport Express service through Dixon/Lawrence, that way it would actually service riders (compared with a relatively empty Eglinton West service) with more frequent service along Dixon/Lawerence who would use the service as there are huge employment hubs along that stretch. Sure it would duplicate part of the Lawrence West Express, but service along Dixon is appallingly bad so it would actually service as an improvement.

It would also be extremely useful for those who live around that stretch to connect to the Crosstown.

It’ll definitely get more service if it ran on Dixon via Lawrence/Weston area and down Black Creek.

I can see why it’s called 901 cause it’s the second airport bus after 900. Eglinton in its name could mean it connects to the Eglinton Line. 900 might need a rename to be more specific of this of the case. Perhaps Airport-Bloor Express.

• Like 1

2025: opening date I have heard, social media and local news supports this thesis

Metrolinx is paying a bunch of ttc training staff to sit around and basically do nothing.

The current major problem is inconsistent excessive hunting on the rails. One day, it's all fine, and the next day it isn't. They can't figure out why, they suspect it's environmental.

Of course, other than the structural/engineering issues at a few stations (obvious at Yonge and Eglinton).

So now they have taken a bunch of line 1 divisional trainers and made them aux trainers for line 5.

When the line eventually gets completed, it will be super cool to see all those accidents that happen since line 1 divisional trainers who have never operated a surface vehicle in their life are training lrt ops on defensive driving for line 5.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Eglinton Crosstown West Extension Advance Tunnel 2 Project has been awarded. 

Contract value is $255 million and covers between 500 metres east of Jane Street to Mount Dennis Station. 

The contract group is STRABAG team. Members of this group are noted below:

• Developer: STRABAG Inc.
  • Design: WSP Canada Inc. and Dr. G. Sauer & Partners Corporation
  • Construction: STRABAG Inc.
  • Financial Advisor: STRABAG Inc.

Link to the press release here: https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/en/news-and-media/news/advance-tunnel-eglinton-crosstown-west-extension-2/contract-awarded-for-eglinton-crosstown-west-extension-advance-tunnel-2/

Final comments:

The sections are broken down like this:

• Renforth to Scarlett (tunnels)
  • Elevated guideway between Scarlett and Jane
  • Jane to Mount Dennis (tunnels)

Stations, rails and systems is still to be issued in a separate contract.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, AUserofToronto said:

Kennedy Station concourse level.

(Credits to union2pearson on UrbanToronto)

image.thumb.png.b84ad8adf76ed9d526fd291b283dcf5a.pngimage.thumb.png.45a9a346dc0c1770fdcc407d5d5bcf17.png

I can't be the only one who hates Metrolinx's overuse of white for walls / ceilings / floors. It's not an operating theatre...