Eglinton Crosstown line

They extended the Eglinton platform north a bit, and I would assume the atc testing closure between York Mills and Bloor yesterday was due to that. I'm assuming the trains are stopping in the new further north part today.

So now that the south end elevator is even further away from everything, and is really inconvenient to transfer to the lrt or exit to the Yonge/Eglinton intersection: are they putting in elevators to transfer to the lrt, and street level in the new part?

On 5/14/2023 at 7:56 AM, Turtle said:

They extended the Eglinton platform north a bit, and I would assume the atc testing closure between York Mills and Bloor yesterday was due to that. I'm assuming the trains are stopping in the new further north part today.

So now that the south end elevator is even further away from everything, and is really inconvenient to transfer to the lrt or exit to the Yonge/Eglinton intersection: are they putting in elevators to transfer to the lrt, and street level in the new part?

You are correct regarding the shifting of where the train stops at eglinton. Got off there yesterday and noticed that

On 5/14/2023 at 7:56 AM, Turtle said:

inconvenient to transfer to the lrt or exit to the Yonge/Eglinton intersection: are they putting in elevators to transfer to the lrt, and street level in the new part?

Screenshotfrom2023-05-1607-36-49.thumb.png.b6c3284ed27c922f66f9fb586d80d669.png

I thought about it after I posted it, and it was only logical. Now I'm just curious about the underground connection to the mall food court, if they solved the waterproofing issues.

8 minutes ago, leylandvictory2 said:

From bad to worse. Especially with slipping timelines and issues occurring that need to be addressed.

To be honest, I think Metrolinx might need a new contractor to finish the Eglinton Crosstown after this. I don't think Crosslinx Transit Solutions is really committed to addressing what is needed along with providing a realistic schedule. 

41 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

From bad to worse. Especially with slipping timelines and issues occurring that need to be addressed.

To be honest, I think Metrolinx might need a new contractor to finish the Eglinton Crosstown after this. I don't think Crosslinx Transit Solutions is really committed to addressing what is needed along with providing a realistic schedule. 

It's not just a matter of hiring someone new to complete the last 2% or 5% of the construction. It's the fact that the contract with CTS has the 30 year maintenance period. If Metrolinx tries to tear up that contract it'd be huge penalties as I'm sure the company was banking on getting lots of annual profit on maintenance fees for the tunnels, structures, and tracks; and they won't want to give any of that profit money up for nothing.

FYI, it's gotten a bit buried by the initial press release, but Metrolinx is now officially confirming the Eglinton Crosstown line will not open in 2023.

44 minutes ago, Articulated said:

It's not just a matter of hiring someone new to complete the last 2% or 5% of the construction. It's the fact that the contract with CTS has the 30 year maintenance period. If Metrolinx tries to tear up that contract it'd be huge penalties as I'm sure the company was banking on getting lots of annual profit on maintenance fees for the tunnels, structures, and tracks; and they won't want to give any of that profit money up for nothing.

FYI, it's gotten a bit buried by the initial press release, but Metrolinx is now officially confirming the Eglinton Crosstown line will not open in 2023.

Do you think Doug Ford and his government is also a blame to this?? potentiall making sudden changes which lead to this?

6 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Do you think Doug Ford and his government is also a blame to this?? potentiall making sudden changes which lead to this?

Those problems include track that was laid at road crossings in 2021 outside of Metrolinx's specifications — an error that is only now being fixed by Crosslinx, Verster said at the time.

So it must have something to do with the way they installed the rail guards which are out of spec by 3mm. If this is at every road crossing they may be able to adjust it by cutting the rubber insulators. Either that or they will need to break the concrete at every intersection and fix the track and pour the concrete again. That is not going to be cheap by any means and is going to take another year to fix. 

Now if we can just get people to get together and collectively sue both crosslinx and Metrolinx and screwing up all the business and create unnecessary disruption which reduces everyone's quality of life. Clearly this whole P3 model is a huge failure when ML can't figgen manage anything. 

8 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Clearly this whole P3 model is a huge failure when ML can't figgen manage anything. 

Fixed your post for you.

I'm not sure why anyone thought it was a good idea to involve the private sector in building transit to begin with.

3 hours ago, T3G said:

Fixed your post for you.

I'm not sure why anyone thought it was a good idea to involve the private sector in building transit to begin with.

Well, it's going to be involved anyway, unless the TTC builds cement and rebar plants, hires a zillion labourers, converts some more 7900s to dump trucks, etc.

The question is who is supposed to be in charge at the various project management levels.

4 hours ago, T3G said:

Fixed your post for you.

The ones who feel that it would be more cost-efficient feeling that cost overruns for massive projects don't happen. Especially locking into a 30 year maintenance contract with many unknowns if the maintenance contractor will survive a term that long or if they don't meet expectations. It would be a hard contract to break without financial penalties or fighting out in the legal system.  

7 hours ago, izzya258 said:

Well there was a bunch of quality control issues, sloane station needed to be redone. Just a few things like that adding up.

Also a small issue of not being able to run the streetcars, I mean lrvs at full speed due to track issues. Installed incorrectly was what the media reported. 

7 hours ago, KangaRue said:

I hate that we have to wait until 2024 now for this damn line to open. I used to be excited for this but now it's just pissing me off

I feel you, it really sucks but sometimes things just don't go the way as anticipated.

9 hours ago, Ultimate said:

What is currently holding them back from release?

Yonge Station is a big problem. It still isn't finished, and won't be for some time.

A number of the stations still haven't been finished and gotten their occupancy permits.

The whole thing with Bermondsey Station is just a distraction, really. It will be finished well before any of the other problems get resolved.

The biggest issue, however, is that the TTC is now involved in the sign-off of the system, and the TTC's standards are not the same as Metrolinx's. And Crosslinx is balking at making those changes, since they weren't in the original contract.

Thus the lawsuit.

Dan

3 hours ago, smallspy said:

The biggest issue, however, is that the TTC is now involved in the sign-off of the system, and the TTC's standards are not the same as Metrolinx's. And Crosslinx is balking at making those changes, since they weren't in the original contract.

We're in big trouble if Eglinton doesn't even meet the TTC's standards for things like track because we've all seen what standards the TTC keeps.

2 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

We have? What are they?

The busted up track with slow order zones which go unrepaired for months if not years. Switching technology that's been left to rot for 40 years despite never working properly leading to more slow order zones. Poor quality rebuilt junctions, when they're not making oopsies like forgetting to build a curve like at Gerrard and Broadview, begin falling apart shortly after their special concrete gets poured out. Check out the busted up track joint at Queen and Broadview on something that was rebuilt less than 10 years ago. It would be funny if after all this squeezing, big portions of Eglinton are operated with 10 km/h slow orders all over the place.

On 5/22/2023 at 7:50 PM, WoodbineSecondExit said:

The busted up track with slow order zones which go unrepaired for months if not years. Switching technology that's been left to rot for 40 years despite never working properly leading to more slow order zones. Poor quality rebuilt junctions, when they're not making oopsies like forgetting to build a curve like at Gerrard and Broadview, begin falling apart shortly after their special concrete gets poured out.

Metrolinx owns the lrt lines, owns the equipment, and the maintenance is their problem they contracted out to someone else. I don't hear too many people complaining about the condition of the GO rail lines, except in the winter when the switches freeze, or when there is a big flood. All your complaining about the ttc has nothing to do with line 5 or 6, or how they will run in 20 years.

Forgetting to build a curve at Gerrard and Broadview? What do you mean? Which direction, and why would it be needed?

The lflrv streetcars are killing the trackwork. They just redid the track at Fleet and Bathurst a few years ago, and the "guard rail" on the east to north curve is badly and unevenly worn already. Dufferin south to west curve to springhurst ave curve has the same problem with an unevenly worn guard rail just before the trailing switch. They removed the north to west switch and curve there, but left the trailing switch in place, which is odd to me.

Go south on Bathurst from Wolesley, and you are in for a couple kilometres of broken rail and slow zones. 3 good broken rails between Queen and Adelaide, with a fourth smaller one opening up. They have done a bunch of work in there over the past few years fixing other broken rails. Spadina at Sullivan southbound there is a broken rail, and it has been broken without a slow zone for at least 3 years. St Clair West just got a crossover track at Vaughan shimmed, it was rattling and moving around. Stand in St Clair West station, and you will hear one of the crossover tracks clanking and rattling terribly also, never mind how awful the ride is through there. Clanky, lumpy, jerky, yucky.

Take a walk around almost every subway station, and the ceiling slats or panels are removed, dirty, and damaged. Take a ride on line 1 north of Glencairn, bring a book or something to do, it will be a long ride for bad track there.

All of this has nothing to do with line 5/6 and Metrolinx or how they will maintain the lrt lines.

On 5/22/2023 at 7:50 PM, WoodbineSecondExit said:

Check out the busted up track joint at Queen and Broadview on something that was rebuilt less than 10 years ago. It would be funny if after all this squeezing, big portions of Eglinton are operated with 10 km/h slow orders all over the place.

The lflrv streetcars are really hard on the trackwork. Take something like that, and build a "subway-ish" line, and try to push them at subway speeds through curves and see what happens to your equipment, trackwork, and customers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...