Eglinton Crosstown line

19 hours ago, 38 Highland Creek said:

Most notably the portals.  But putting them on every intersection costs a lot of money and requires retiming of the traffic lights , though it discourages illegal entries when the gates are down.  The latter worked wonders in other cities with LRT running at-grade.

Um, my post was sarcasm. People who delay public transit, however they decide they want to, should have to pay a fine appropriate to the cost they impose on others. Stand in front of a bus to block it, just because they are upset they didn't get on ... there has to be some mathematical formula they could come up with to determine the actual cost to society because of their selfish actions. ... Jay walk in front of a moving streetcar, well eff you, darwin has an award he wants to give you. Take a leak at track level on the subway? Ooh, unauthorized at track level and cause a delay on a system that moves hundreds of thousands of people an hour just because you feel it's appropriate to urinate anywhere you want.

People have to get to work, job interviews, to pick up their kids at daycare, ... How is that entitled brat who can''t read a no entry sign more important than somebody else who is struggling and making the effort and has someplace to be in a certain amount of time, but can't get there because of the entitled idiot who picks some lame excuse why they aren't at fault for being a selfish narcissist?

But yeah, public transit is great, except for everybody who thinks they are more important than anybody else. I'm tired of this stuff

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

Um, my post was sarcasm. People who delay public transit, however they decide they want to, should have to pay a fine appropriate to the cost they impose on others. Stand in front of a bus to block it, just because they are upset they didn't get on ... there has to be some mathematical formula they could come up with to determine the actual cost to society because of their selfish actions. ... Jay walk in front of a moving streetcar, well eff you, darwin has an award he wants to give you. Take a leak at track level on the subway? Ooh, unauthorized at track level and cause a delay on a system that moves hundreds of thousands of people an hour just because you feel it's appropriate to urinate anywhere you want.

People have to get to work, job interviews, to pick up their kids at daycare, ... How is that entitled brat who can''t read a no entry sign more important than somebody else who is struggling and making the effort and has someplace to be in a certain amount of time, but can't get there because of the entitled idiot who picks some lame excuse why they aren't at fault for being a selfish narcissist?

But yeah, public transit is great, except for everybody who thinks they are more important than anybody else. I'm tired of this stuff

Sarcasm is sadly a foreign language to many on here.

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Turtle said:

A mathematical approach to assessing the financial cost of delays.  Let's add damage to that too.  If someone does take their car down the LRT tracks it's entirely possible they've damaged parts of the infrastructure too if the hit something like an overhead support pole, equipment cabinet etc.

I remember an accident on Spadina at one of the intersections at the bridge over the tracks at the bottom end about 15 years ago.  One of the operators was telling me about it and the way the story went, someone made an illegal turn into the right of way and clipped one of the front open side corner of a CLRV in totally the wrong spot.  From what I was told, by visual inspection, the damage looked minor but the track light/turn signal/door switch asembly got bashed and something behind got shorted out and it killed the car.  The supervisor writing up the damage report put a low, couple hundred dollars figure on the estimated value of the damage but the operator got into an argument about that saying it's going to take hours of shop time to repair at $/hr.  It's taking out how many operators on backlogged cars stuck behind the dead vehicle.  It's eating how much of the supervisor's time at $/hr for all of them, it's holding up the public, there's a parts cost, it's a lot more than a couple hundred bucks.  In other words, it's starting to look like an actual assessment of what the total cost of this accident from someone trying to turn in to the right of way totalled up to based on some mathematical estimates.  The supervisor ended up writing down something larger and more realistic but yeah, I agree with the operator, it's not a trivial $200 or whatever the initial value that got crossed out was.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 7:20 AM, Turtle said:

You mean like the ones that are currently broken, and have been broken for at least a year? Where would they install the gates, at every intersection, or just the portals?

Strange. I thought i saw them functional in February when i was down there 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2022 at 4:03 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

They are functional yesterday, so you aren't seeing things

What usually ends up happening is a car out on the line doesn't get picked up by the sensor, so the gate gets lifted and left up for the day (or days) until somebody comes out to check if the system is functioning correctly, when the problem was with the car itself.

The gates were out of service for most of the fall of '21, and part of the winter while repairs were being done.