Eglinton Crosstown line

21 hours ago, John Oke said:
Let’s just hope Eglinton doesn’t turn into the next Queens Quay Streetcar Tunnel 

If it becomes frequent enough, they add gates I'm sure. Or even some solid bollards slightly narrower than the streetcar with illuminated no-entry signs.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

If it becomes frequent enough, they add gates I'm sure. Or even some solid bollards slightly narrower than the streetcar with illuminated no-entry signs.

Then they hit the bollards, and still tie up the line anyway….and add a personal injury call to what was originally just property damage.

Sounds silly, but that’s how it would play out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Then they hit the bollards, and still tie up the line anyway….and add a personal injury call to what was originally just property damage.

Okay, then very soft bollards - with scrapy things on the side, and big no entry signs.

I suppose a gate is the next option.

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2021 at 7:07 PM, nfitz said:

On 11/18/2021 at 8:04 PM, Bus_Medic said:

On 11/18/2021 at 11:08 PM, nfitz said:

Okay, then very soft bollards - with scrapy things on the side, and big no entry signs.

I suppose a gate is the next option.

How About some vehicle traps  ( like those in Buffalo & Calgary )

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Oc4526 said:

Traps would be a great idea at portals. I really don't understand why the TTC is afraid to install them at portals. Better get them stuck at the entrance than inside Union Station. Those cars are getting damaged in matter what if they are headed that way.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oc4526 said:

That’s effectively what’s there now?

-but with a neat-o sign.

9 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Traps would be a great idea at portals. I really don't understand why the TTC is afraid to install them at portals. Better get them stuck at the entrance than inside Union Station. Those cars are getting damaged in matter what if they are headed that way.

Still ties up the line until the car gets lifted out. How is that better?

It is better at the portal than in the tunnel, I’ll give you that. But the height of the rail at the intersection stations (I assume to give persons who fall or jump at least a fighting chance at survival) are defacto vehicle pits already.

• Like 1

This is probably a stupid question but are there advantages to not having the rails embedded in concrete a la St. Clair or Spadina?

• Like 1

Just now, T3G said:

This is probably a stupid question but are there advantages to not having the rails embedded in concrete a la St. Clair or Spadina?

Access I suppose.  

Aside from the built in emergency services priority lane advantage, I don’t see an argument for filling them in.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bus_Medic said:

Access I suppose.  

Aside from the built in emergency services priority lane advantage, I don’t see an argument for filling them in.

Fair enough, I just wondered whether it might cause less issues with cars wandering onto the ROW if the rails were filled in. Of course we don't want cars driving on them but in the event that they did there wouldn't be a disruption to service.

8 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

That’s effectively what’s there now?

-but with a neat-o sign.

Still ties up the line until the car gets lifted out. How is that better?

It is better at the portal than in the tunnel, I’ll give you that. But the height of the rail at the intersection stations (I assume to give persons who fall or jump at least a fighting chance at survival) are defacto vehicle pits already.

No matter what you do people will figure out a way to screw up and make it 2km down the tunnel destroying their car in the process.  

• Like 1

I just had one of those small world moments.  I picked up a ton of vintage Tektronix stuff a few months ago and I was matching up the manuals to the equipment and I discovered where it all originally came from because there was an address stamp inside of some of the manuals:

BBC18E3D-E8C9-4E9F-BC9B-C027A377368A.thumb.jpeg.00b356fe2645f7f688cb35a3ed39ce9f.jpeg

The address sounded familiar so I looked it up and look what’s on that site today:

6D15064F-C71E-4AB7-87B4-8501B6E1F458.thumb.jpeg.3b69b50242cc47b66689f735f573dc98.jpeg

I always think of Kodak Canada when I think of the Eglinton Crosstown MSF but they gobbled up some of the properties behind it as well including the old Ferranti-Packard lands.  I think the gate I went in through for the open day was 117 Industry St.  I guess some of the legacy of what was there before the carhouse lives on at my place.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

I just had one of those small world moments.  I picked up a ton of vintage Tektronix stuff a few months ago and I was matching up the manuals to the equipment and I discovered where it all originally came from because there was an address stamp inside of some of the manuals:

BBC18E3D-E8C9-4E9F-BC9B-C027A377368A.thumb.jpeg.00b356fe2645f7f688cb35a3ed39ce9f.jpeg

The address sounded familiar so I looked it up and look what’s on that site today:

6D15064F-C71E-4AB7-87B4-8501B6E1F458.thumb.jpeg.3b69b50242cc47b66689f735f573dc98.jpeg

I always think of Kodak Canada when I think of the Eglinton Crosstown MSF but they gobbled up some of the properties behind it as well including the old Ferranti-Packard lands.  I think the gate I went in through for the open day was 117 Industry St.  I guess some of the legacy of what was there before the carhouse lives on at my place.

121 industry is the Mount Dennis bus garage address not the Eglinton MSF

3 minutes ago, Young said:

Ah ok, I thought it was the Eglinton Crosstown yard from the map.  I should really take a drive through the area and see where everything is the next time I'm in the Weston area.  I haven't spent meaningful time up there other than the Eglinton Crosstown open day since Kodak's corporate store closed.

On 11/18/2021 at 8:50 AM, Cityflyer said:

Nice. Can i just say how much i loathe that we're seemingly not renaming Eglinton station? I thought it was natural it got renamed to not only prevent a station on Eglinton being called Eglinton but to also signify it's a transfer station. Eglinton-Yonge or Yonge-Eglinton would've been brilliant but looks like it ain't changing. We rename Eg West to Cedervale but not Eglinton? CONSISTENCY TTC!!! Where is it!?

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

Nice. Can i just say how much i loathe that we're seemingly not renaming Eglinton station? I thought it was natural it got renamed to not only prevent a station on Eglinton being called Eglinton but to also signify it's a transfer station. Eglinton-Yonge or Yonge-Eglinton would've been brilliant but looks like it ain't changing. We rename Eg West to Cedervale but not Eglinton? CONSISTENCY TTC!!! Where is it!?

The line is owned by Metrolinx. As a result, it uses Metrolinx station naming convention which is why a lot of stations are named after the neighborhood instead of the street similar to the GO Train network. The TTC is only the operator of the line so they had no say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wil9402 said:

The TTC is only the operator of the line so they had no say.

TTC had input - see the Agenda item in November 2015. Recall how contentious it was at the time.

https://www.ttc.ca/public-meetings/board/2015/board-meetings-nov-23

Eglinton wasn't perceived negatively by the community. Initially they were going with Eglinton-Yonge - presumably Eglinton scored better

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, Young said:

Is the Mount Dennis bus garage the one that's visible from the UP Express?  I was having a bit of difficulty telling where the two transit properties divide on the map I was looking at when I looked up the address.  I'm thinking sometime this week after work I'll take a spin up to Weston and check the area out.  I haven't spent any meaningful time there ever since Kodak closed down other than to pop in to the Metrolinx open day at the MSF.  One of these days I have to tell the "calibrated torque wrench" story.

I guess could go either here or in the fishbowl nostaliga thread, but I remember talking with a friend about how many fishbowl shots transit fans must've taken from the Photography Dr. bridge across Eglinton to finish off the last few frames on the roll of Kodachrome in their camera so they could drop it off with their other films going in for processing at the corporate store.  The store was way down most of the way to the end of the huge office block, not in the building Metrolinx kept.

51 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

Is the Mount Dennis bus garage the one that's visible from the UP Express?  I was having a bit of difficulty telling where the two transit properties divide on the map I was looking at when I looked up the address.  I'm thinking sometime this week after work I'll take a spin up to Weston and check the area out.  I haven't spent any meaningful time there ever since Kodak closed down other than to pop in to the Metrolinx open day at the MSF.  One of these days I have to tell the "calibrated torque wrench" story.

I guess could go either here or in the fishbowl nostaliga thread, but I remember talking with a friend about how many fishbowl shots transit fans must've taken from the Photography Dr. bridge across Eglinton to finish off the last few frames on the roll of Kodachrome in their camera so they could drop it off with their other films going in for processing at the corporate store.  The store was way down most of the way to the end of the huge office block, not in the building Metrolinx kept.

Yes the mount Dennis garage is behind a wall after you pass a Canada Post depot, sometimes you can see buses in the back yard of the garage from the UP train

On 11/22/2021 at 7:37 AM, wil9402 said:

The line is owned by Metrolinx. As a result, it uses Metrolinx station naming convention which is why a lot of stations are named after the neighborhood instead of the street similar to the GO Train network. The TTC is only the operator of the line so they had no say.

Metrolinx station naming sucks. 👎 Naming GO train stops after neighborhoods is fine but on an LRT line its just creates more confusion. All those stops should have been named  after streets they are on. In addition a lot of those neighborhood names are crap. 

5 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, nfitz said:

TTC had input - see the Agenda item in November 2015. Recall how contentious it was at the time.

https://www.ttc.ca/public-meetings/board/2015/board-meetings-nov-23

Eglinton wasn't perceived negatively by the community. Initially they were going with Eglinton-Yonge - presumably Eglinton scored better

I forgot about that report. But their input was only asked since those are interchanges with existing subway stations. Regardless, you are correct. I believe the TTC board was also responsible for requesting Metrolinx to rename "Lebovic" to "Hakimi" which resulted in the stop ultimately being called "Hakimi Lebovic" as well.

22 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Metrolinx station naming sucks. 👎 Naming GO train stops after neighborhoods is fine but on an LRT line its just creates more confusion. All those stops should have been named  after streets they are on. In addition a lot of those neighborhood names are crap. 

I couldn't agree more. At least they are putting the street name on the station walls underneath the station name similar to Bay (Yorkville). But I think they should also add it to the maps as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Metrolinx agrees to new date to complete Crosstown LRT, says credit rating agency (alternate link)

Interesting, so it's going to be late 2022 or about a year from now.

I did swing by Industry St. the other night and took a look at the Eglinton Crosstown MSF and the bus garage, and the Mt. Dennis bus garage is addressed as 121 so I totally misread the map on that one.  Either way, it's interesting to see where that bunch of equipment came from and what's there now.  What are the odds it'd end up being a TTC facility?

3 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

Metrolinx agrees to new date to complete Crosstown LRT, says credit rating agency (alternate link)

Interesting, so it's going to be late 2022 or about a year from now.

I did swing by Industry St. the other night and took a look at the Eglinton Crosstown MSF and the bus garage, and the Mt. Dennis bus garage is addressed as 121 so I totally misread the map on that one.  Either way, it's interesting to see where that bunch of equipment came from and what's there now.  What are the odds it'd end up being a TTC facility?

The report mentions both September and late 2022.  Is this like the Ottawa LRT where both are true in that construction wraps up in September and then comes the testing of the full line which would push it to "late" 2022 depending on how successfully it goes?

5 hours ago, Gil said:

The report mentions both September and late 2022.  Is this like the Ottawa LRT where both are true in that construction wraps up in September and then comes the testing of the full line which would push it to "late" 2022 depending on how successfully it goes?

Most likely since they need to make sure that enough operators are trained to operate the rail vehicles and ensure they can run peak level service without issues. Along with other logistics to ensure efficient service delivery. I would rather take a delay to ensure that major issues are addressed rather than have a repeat of Confederation Line in Ottawa having to rely on buses. Of course TTC has the capacity to handle both 32 and 34 Eglinton routes at full service levels until it is transitioned down to a lower frequency maintaining parallel service. For those that need stops between stations or a station elevator is unavailable for those with accessibility challenges. 

Never forget how Ottawa's LRT had a requirement for operating 12 consecutive days without any major failures such as a train breakdown. If the train broke down on day 10, then it is supposed to be reset back to zero and would start from day 1. Of course the requirements were changed to accommodate the revenue service date.

5 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Most likely since they need to make sure that enough operators are trained to operate the rail vehicles and ensure they can run peak level service without issues. Along with other logistics to ensure efficient service delivery. I would rather take a delay to ensure that major issues are addressed rather than have a repeat of Confederation Line in Ottawa having to rely on buses. Of course TTC has the capacity to handle both 32 and 34 Eglinton routes at full service levels until it is transitioned down to a lower frequency maintaining parallel service. For those that need stops between stations or a station elevator is unavailable for those with accessibility challenges. 

Never forget how Ottawa's LRT had a requirement for operating 12 consecutive days without any major failures such as a train breakdown. If the train broke down on day 10, then it is supposed to be reset back to zero and would start from day 1. Of course the requirements were changed to accommodate the revenue service date.

Unlike Ottawa, TTC has experience with Flexity vehicles and rapid transit operation. Hopefully the consulted with the TTC when they designed the line. The only issue is line maintenance and Flexity reliability. Both not in control of the TTC.