Eglinton Crosstown line

2 hours ago, Young said:

When the Eglinton Crosstown opens I wonder which division will take over the new route 34 Eglinton?, maybe either Mt.Dennis or Eglinton or maybe even Wilson division

I would say most likely Mt Dennis. They'll loose most of the 32 Eg West runs. The more interesting 334 route could be split between 2 or even 3 divisions as it will operate from one end of the city to the other.

Maybe Mt Dennis can take the 52 back but that's not so likely if they become a bigger artic division. 

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Mike said:

Article says "Metrolinx anticipates transporting 15,000 people east and west across Eglinton Avenue every day.".  Is this reduced expectations for COVID?  In 2018, TTC statistics say that 32+34 transported ~62,000 people per day.

I’m pretty sure the 32+34 carries more than 15k today with bus ridership over 50%.

The 15k would be riders per hour at max cap.

27 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

I find it funny they are thinking of cramping 170 people per vehicle (340 per trainset) into those things as max capacity? The existing TTC streetcars can't carry that much at max capacity.

They have more standing space with doors on both sides. TTC set their max to 130 so it’s not too far off. I really don’t like how everyone would cramp at the doors since there is barely any standing space between doors at the quad seats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Article says "Metrolinx anticipates transporting 15,000 people east and west across Eglinton Avenue every day.".  Is this reduced expectations for COVID?  In 2018, TTC statistics say that 32+34 transported ~62,000 people per day.

They miss quoted what the Metrolinx CEO said. What he said was "the line will move 15,000 people in the peak hours". CTV decided to write it as within a day. You can see him say this on other news outlets that covered this story like Global.

On 10/13/2021 at 5:11 PM, Ed T. said:

I don't know if anyone else has posted this, but grass is starting to go in on the ROW, east of the portal, by Bermondsey.

Why did they choose the hilly part to cover with grass. 

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

I see this becoming a traction problem on rainy days. Or use lots of sand. 

7D449D85-7C43-4756-84FF-2BAA50F48FA7.thumb.jpeg.3d5608e641318c2d90068b441f503d4d.jpeg

If you select a dwarf species of grass that only grows to a length of 2/3 inches, it will never get close enough to be crushed on the railhead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

I see this becoming a traction problem on rainy days. Or use lots of sand. 

Tons of places in Europe have grassed rights of way and it isn’t a problem.

Of course, creating problems or making existing ones bigger is a fine tradition here…

• Like 4

So at Eglinton Station are they building a new elevator to connect from the subway platform to the LRT Platform or are they extending the existing elevator to go to the LRT platform?

On 10/18/2021 at 10:08 AM, Bus_Medic said:

7D449D85-7C43-4756-84FF-2BAA50F48FA7.thumb.jpeg.3d5608e641318c2d90068b441f503d4d.jpeg

If you select a dwarf species of grass that only grows to a length of 2/3 inches, it will never get close enough to be crushed on the railhead.

I have ridden lines in Europe in the rain that had grass and no issue as it was the same as concrete lines. Short length grass is being use as it doesn't require cutting.

Seeing it first hand a few weeks ago as well when the first test section was place, have seen no issues at all. Even saw the sprinkler system being use on my last visit.

When Queens Quay was rebuilt, it was to have grass, but EMS wanted to use the ROW and it had to be concrete. EMS hasn't use that ROW since day one.

The current plan for QQE extension as well Cherry street calls for grass and look forward to seeing it.

Maybe when it comes time to rebuilding all the concrete ROW, grass will replace the concrete. It helps the storm water system a lot better than concrete.

20 hours ago, Young said:
So at Eglinton Station are they building a new elevator to connect from the subway platform to the LRT Platform or are they extending the existing elevator to go to the LRT platform?

Metrolinx is most likely having an elevator installed at the north end of the subway platform since the LRT connections will be closer to Eglinton Avenue (at the north end of the present subway platform)

On 10/23/2021 at 11:41 AM, drum118 said:

I have ridden lines in Europe in the rain that had grass and no issue as it was the same as concrete lines. Short length grass is being use as it doesn't require cutting.

Seeing it first hand a few weeks ago as well when the first test section was place, have seen no issues at all. Even saw the sprinkler system being use on my last visit.

When Queens Quay was rebuilt, it was to have grass, but EMS wanted to use the ROW and it had to be concrete. EMS hasn't use that ROW since day one.

The current plan for QQE extension as well Cherry street calls for grass and look forward to seeing it.

Maybe when it comes time to rebuilding all the concrete ROW, grass will replace the concrete. It helps the storm water system a lot better than concrete.

My concern is salt tolerance. The dust will be as thick as Bonneville.

• Like 1

We know at launch that Eglinton will run two car trains. How soon do we think 3 car trains will begin to run? I think that will happen once phase two (The western extension to Pearson) is completed and open and that may increase ridership substantially enough

• 2 weeks later...

The roadway on Keelesdale Road at Mount Dennis Station is being widened for the bus traffic that will be using it. More buses will be entering from there than exiting as the exits will be done via photography drive. At Eglinton and Keelesdale there's a centre divider along the roadway here.