Eglinton Crosstown line

5 hours ago, Orion V said:

With the 60 Flexity Outlook models just ordered, does it mean the Flexity Freedom line is secured even with Alstom taking over Bombardier?

Do future orders of Line 5 for 2030 and ION plus Valley line still needs to use this model due to their MSF built to this model's specs. Or can they order the Citadis Spirit with the 30m length configuration?

The Citadis Spirit can be modified to be 30 meters depending on configuration. Noting that the Bombardier Flexity Freedom is 30.2 meters.

Assuming the extension of Line 5 goes through and that is not an option order more Flexity Freedom cars, then they would most likely put out a tender if there is another company that can fulfill the requirement before sole sourcing to Alstom for additional vehicles. Considering the cost of maintaining two fleets is pretty expensive along with having a different set of parts for each vehicle depending on their design. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Orion V said:

With the 60 Flexity Outlook models just ordered, does it mean the Flexity Freedom line is secured even with Alstom taking over Bombardier?

I would not assume that. The discussions for that order started before the final Alstom cut-over, so it would have made more sense for them to just continue along that line of discussion and build a car that they already know to build - even if they didn't design it.

It will take several years to fully integrate Bombardier's various product lines into the Alstom roster. And there will have to be a couple of divestments in that.

12 hours ago, Orion V said:

Do future orders of Line 5 for 2030 and ION plus Valley line still needs to use this model due to their MSF built to this model's specs. Or can they order the Citadis Spirit with the 30m length configuration?

There's no guarantee that the next set of vehicles for either line resemble anything being built today. Yes, the 30 meter length will be a requirement, but it's also been a kind of defacto standard for some time as well.

But keep in mind too, that these lines were built with far more standardization in mind, and so aren't required to be operated by any one particular style or manufacturer of vehicle. The next order of vehicles may come from a manufacturer that we've never seen before on this side of the Atlantic - or Pacific.

Dan

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Orion V said:

Alstom/ Bomarbardier did make the short list for Valley Line West LRV procurement, so, there is no specific "need" at all for the Flexity out of Edmonton. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 3:32 PM, Gil said:

The TTC is seeking the public's input for their 2022 Service Plan which includes the route restructurings as a result of the opening of the 5 EGLINTON Line.  Here's the map of the Eglinton corridor with the affected routes:

Map of new or revised routes

You can visit the survey site for more details and to submit feedback on the individual route changes.

These posters are starting to appear at bus stops along the 54 (this one was at Lawrence Ave E & Curlew) asking for the same thing, however, the QR code does not seem to lead you to the right place or someone forgot to activate/link the right survey.

4ACF20CC-58C7-4EDA-81D7-FB3D1883662C.jpeg

4C848796-6FB9-4155-B3B3-1EA18DB1EC1D.png

23 hours ago, TTC7447 said:

These posters are starting to appear at bus stops along the 54 (this one was at Lawrence Ave E & Curlew) asking for the same thing, however, the QR code does not seem to lead you to the right place or someone forgot to activate/link the right survey.

The link to the survey works now. I completed it a few minutes ago.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 6:22 PM, TTC7447 said:

If anyone has any strong feelings about this that can’t be expressed through this survey, there’s now a town hall being organized:

B4A920B9-B0D1-4844-B7AD-D849D0B2570A.jpeg

A299129A-80F3-4C52-959C-FC0F8C9D2FC9.png

7 hours ago, TTC7447 said:

If anyone has any strong feelings about this that can’t be expressed through this survey, there’s now a town hall being organized:

B4A920B9-B0D1-4844-B7AD-D849D0B2570A.jpeg

A299129A-80F3-4C52-959C-FC0F8C9D2FC9.png

They really need public input. Internet survey only reached certain groups. The poor and elderly are usually left out. That’s what town halls tries to fill in.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Young said:

When the Eglinton Crosstown opens I wonder which division will take over the new route 34 Eglinton?, maybe either Mt.Dennis or Eglinton or maybe even Wilson division

I would say most likely Mt Dennis. They'll loose most of the 32 Eg West runs. The more interesting 334 route could be split between 2 or even 3 divisions as it will operate from one end of the city to the other.

Maybe Mt Dennis can take the 52 back but that's not so likely if they become a bigger artic division. 

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, Mike said:

Article says "Metrolinx anticipates transporting 15,000 people east and west across Eglinton Avenue every day.".  Is this reduced expectations for COVID?  In 2018, TTC statistics say that 32+34 transported ~62,000 people per day.

I’m pretty sure the 32+34 carries more than 15k today with bus ridership over 50%.

The 15k would be riders per hour at max cap.

27 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

I find it funny they are thinking of cramping 170 people per vehicle (340 per trainset) into those things as max capacity? The existing TTC streetcars can't carry that much at max capacity.

They have more standing space with doors on both sides. TTC set their max to 130 so it’s not too far off. I really don’t like how everyone would cramp at the doors since there is barely any standing space between doors at the quad seats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

Article says "Metrolinx anticipates transporting 15,000 people east and west across Eglinton Avenue every day.".  Is this reduced expectations for COVID?  In 2018, TTC statistics say that 32+34 transported ~62,000 people per day.

They miss quoted what the Metrolinx CEO said. What he said was "the line will move 15,000 people in the peak hours". CTV decided to write it as within a day. You can see him say this on other news outlets that covered this story like Global.

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

I see this becoming a traction problem on rainy days. Or use lots of sand. 

7D449D85-7C43-4756-84FF-2BAA50F48FA7.thumb.jpeg.3d5608e641318c2d90068b441f503d4d.jpeg

If you select a dwarf species of grass that only grows to a length of 2/3 inches, it will never get close enough to be crushed on the railhead.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2021 at 10:08 AM, Bus_Medic said:

7D449D85-7C43-4756-84FF-2BAA50F48FA7.thumb.jpeg.3d5608e641318c2d90068b441f503d4d.jpeg

If you select a dwarf species of grass that only grows to a length of 2/3 inches, it will never get close enough to be crushed on the railhead.

I have ridden lines in Europe in the rain that had grass and no issue as it was the same as concrete lines. Short length grass is being use as it doesn't require cutting.

Seeing it first hand a few weeks ago as well when the first test section was place, have seen no issues at all. Even saw the sprinkler system being use on my last visit.

When Queens Quay was rebuilt, it was to have grass, but EMS wanted to use the ROW and it had to be concrete. EMS hasn't use that ROW since day one.

The current plan for QQE extension as well Cherry street calls for grass and look forward to seeing it.

Maybe when it comes time to rebuilding all the concrete ROW, grass will replace the concrete. It helps the storm water system a lot better than concrete.

20 hours ago, Young said:
So at Eglinton Station are they building a new elevator to connect from the subway platform to the LRT Platform or are they extending the existing elevator to go to the LRT platform?

Metrolinx is most likely having an elevator installed at the north end of the subway platform since the LRT connections will be closer to Eglinton Avenue (at the north end of the present subway platform)

On 10/23/2021 at 11:41 AM, drum118 said:

I have ridden lines in Europe in the rain that had grass and no issue as it was the same as concrete lines. Short length grass is being use as it doesn't require cutting.

Seeing it first hand a few weeks ago as well when the first test section was place, have seen no issues at all. Even saw the sprinkler system being use on my last visit.

When Queens Quay was rebuilt, it was to have grass, but EMS wanted to use the ROW and it had to be concrete. EMS hasn't use that ROW since day one.

The current plan for QQE extension as well Cherry street calls for grass and look forward to seeing it.

Maybe when it comes time to rebuilding all the concrete ROW, grass will replace the concrete. It helps the storm water system a lot better than concrete.

My concern is salt tolerance. The dust will be as thick as Bonneville.

• Like 1