8 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Isn't Sci Cen Stn being built with provision for future connection to the Ontario Line? Kind of like Finch West Stn in 2017.

It probably is. For some reason, I read this thinking of John Tory’s Smart Track system 

1 hour ago, Orion V said:

Isn't Sci Cen Stn being built with provision for future connection to the Ontario Line? Kind of like Finch West Stn in 2017.

It was definitely envisioned that there would eventually be higher order transit along the Don Mills corridor when they were planning the Science Centre station design. However, I have no idea if they built any rough-in for a future line or connection to one.

The concept for the Ontario Line had not been created before the Crosstown construction contracts were awarded, and once a construction contract is awarded the contractor can and will charge huge fees for any minor changes from those signed plans. So IMO it is unlikely that there are significant accommodations for the future Ontario Line that are being built in the station today.

As for Finch West Station, the LRT planning was significantly more advanced than Don Mills, as Finch West was one of the three priority lines (alongside Eglinton Crosstown and Sheppard East). The mode (LRT) was also known, which makes it easier to plan for, unlike Science Centre, whereas the Don Mills line at the time had an unknown timeframe for construction and has now switched technologies twice (LRT to subway to some unknown lighter high-frequency technology).

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Articulated said:

It was definitely envisioned that there would eventually be higher order transit along the Don Mills corridor when they were planning the Science Centre station design. However, I have no idea if they built any rough-in for a future line or connection to one.

The currently-under-construction Science Centre Station isn't being built with any provisions per se to the DRL/Ontario Line. That is because the designs and engineering were completed and construction started before the Ontario Line was announced, and any redesign to the station would have negatively affected the timelines for opening of The Crosstown.

That said, it is being built with a host of knock-out panels and a strengthened floor through the station box, so that if/when a DRL/Ontario Line station does get built there it will simplify its construction and hopefully mitigate a lot of the problems happening elsewhere with connecting existing structures to new ones.

Dan

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

The contract for tunnelling is now shortlisted for the Eglinton Crosstown west extension. Final contract awarded in mid-2021. A separate contract will be issued to complete the rest of the work (building stations, installing rails and signals and commissioning service). 

Link here: https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Teams-Shortlisted-Eglinton-Crosstown-Scarborough-Advance-Tunnel/ 

The shortlisted teams (copy and paste):

Eglinton Crosstown West Extension Advanced Tunnel Project

FAST EGLINTON GROUP

• Applicant Leads: FCC Construccion S.A., Astaldi Canada Enterprises Inc., Salini-Impregilo S.p.A.
  • Design Team: COWI North America, AECOM Canada, Arcadis Canada Inc., Tunnel and Bridge Technologies Inc.
  • Construction Team: FCC Construccion S.A., Astaldi Canada Design & Construction, Inc., Salini-Impregilo S.p.A.

NORTH AMERICAN TUNNEL PARTNERS

• Applicant Leads: EllisDon Capital, Inc., Barnard LP
  • Design Team: McMillen Jacobs Associates, Aldea Services LLC, Englobe Corp., Lea Consulting, Ltd.
  • Construction Team: Barnard Constructors of Canada LP, Kenaidan Contracting Ltd.
  • Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital Inc.

WEST END CONNECTORS

• Applicant Leads: Dragados Canada Inc., Aecon Infrastructure Management. Inc., Ghella Canada Ltd.
  • Design Team: TYPSA Inc., EXP Services Inc.
  • Construction Team: Dragados Canada Inc., Aecon Infrastructure Management. Inc., Ghella Canada Ltd.
  • Financial Advisor: ACS Infrastructure Canada, Aecon Concessions, Scotiabank Capital, Ghella Investments & Partnerships
4 minutes ago, nfitz said:

Did I miss the announcement of final alignment (horizontal and vertical) and station locations?

No. They are still working with GTAA (airport authority) on how to connect the line to the airport. Here is a link to the current proposed map and setup.

https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Eglinton-Crosstown-West-Extension/

Jane, Scarlett, Royal York, Islington, Kipling and Renforth are the confirmed stations via the underground route. 

First link is missing the Pearson concept alignment. In this link here: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/greaterregion/projects/eglinton-crosstown-west.aspx

23 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

No. They are still working with GTAA (airport authority) on how to connect the line to the airport.

That's only proposed isn't it? I was referring to the alignment from Mount Dennis to Renforth. It does look like I missed something ... I thought they were still debating above-ground versus underground and number of stops.

Underground west of Royal York? Good grief ... the willingness of the province to burn our money is shocking!

1 hour ago, GTAmissions1 said:

The contract for tunnelling is now shortlisted for the Eglinton Crosstown west extension. Final contract awarded in mid-2021. A separate contract will be issued to complete the rest of the work (building stations, installing rails and signals and commissioning service). 

Link here: https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/Teams-Shortlisted-Eglinton-Crosstown-Scarborough-Advance-Tunnel/ 

The shortlisted teams (copy and paste):

Eglinton Crosstown West Extension Advanced Tunnel Project

FAST EGLINTON GROUP

• Applicant Leads: FCC Construccion S.A., Astaldi Canada Enterprises Inc., Salini-Impregilo S.p.A.
  • Design Team: COWI North America, AECOM Canada, Arcadis Canada Inc., Tunnel and Bridge Technologies Inc.
  • Construction Team: FCC Construccion S.A., Astaldi Canada Design & Construction, Inc., Salini-Impregilo S.p.A.

NORTH AMERICAN TUNNEL PARTNERS

• Applicant Leads: EllisDon Capital, Inc., Barnard LP
  • Design Team: McMillen Jacobs Associates, Aldea Services LLC, Englobe Corp., Lea Consulting, Ltd.
  • Construction Team: Barnard Constructors of Canada LP, Kenaidan Contracting Ltd.
  • Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital Inc.

WEST END CONNECTORS

• Applicant Leads: Dragados Canada Inc., Aecon Infrastructure Management. Inc., Ghella Canada Ltd.
  • Design Team: TYPSA Inc., EXP Services Inc.
  • Construction Team: Dragados Canada Inc., Aecon Infrastructure Management. Inc., Ghella Canada Ltd.
  • Financial Advisor: ACS Infrastructure Canada, Aecon Concessions, Scotiabank Capital, Ghella Investments & Partnerships

I'm curious on what their process of elimination is and why it will take almost a year to pick amongst the 3 bid packages. Most of these contractors are not new so its not like they have to interview many fresh applicants.

2 hours ago, Ber said:

I'm curious on what their process of elimination is and why it will take almost a year to pick amongst the 3 bid packages. Most of these contractors are not new so its not like they have to interview many fresh applicants.

It's not an interview. They have to show a detail plan on how they'll build the line and things like how the project will be financed and probably how they'll hire people and not discriminate. They will be scored.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/10/01/new-report-says-the-eglinton-crosstown-lrt-could-open-five-months-late-and-without-its-eglinton-stop.html

This unexpectedly is good as it forces Line 5 users to go dt on the Spadina side of Line 1 which frees up space on the Yonge side of Line 1 during rush hours! LOL
Or have a huge long walk outside between the two stations (especially during winter) which might make people think if they want to do that walk or just transfer at Cedervale Stn.

Have the whole Line 5 open except Yonge Eglinton Stn.

• Sad 1
37 minutes ago, Cityflyer said:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2020/10/01/new-report-says-the-eglinton-crosstown-lrt-could-open-five-months-late-and-without-its-eglinton-stop.html

This unexpectedly is good as it forces Line 5 users to go dt on the Spadina side of Line 1 which frees up space on the Yonge side of Line 1 during rush hours! LOL
Or have a huge long walk outside between the two stations (especially during winter) which might make people think if they want to do that walk or just transfer at Cedervale Stn.

Have the whole Line 5 open except Yonge Eglinton Stn.

A "huge long walk"? Not quite....

You may want to review the designs for the project. The walk outside is maybe 125 feet. Maybe.

The bigger issue will be climbing the 25-some-odd meters from the LRT platform, and then descending the 12-or-so meters to get back to the subway.

Dan

Gosh ... having to walk outdoors between the two stations until September 2022?

I wonder if they connection between the GO platforms and subway platforms at Bloor-Dundas West will have opened by then ... that they've been working on for over 45 years ...

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Tom1122 said:

How many cars have been delivered to date? I know 6225 is on property.

They responded on Twitter saying 20 have been delivered to the Eglinton maintenance facility. Though I don't think this would be correct since the first unit is 6200 and units from 6222 and forward being delivered by rail into the site. I would say at least 25 to 30 by now. 

6 minutes ago, GTAmissions1 said:

They responded on Twitter saying 20 have been delivered to the Eglinton maintenance facility. Though I don't think this would be correct since the first unit is 6200 and units from 6222 and forward being delivered by rail into the site. I would say at least 25 to 30 by now. 

How do you know they delivered every unit sequentially? 

2 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

How do you know they delivered every unit sequentially? 

Maybe he assumed the Flexity Outlooks were delivered sequentially (except the Kingston units) so naturally these Freedoms should be done the same.

And aren't ION and ETS's delivered in sequential order iirc?

46 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Maybe he assumed the Flexity Outlooks were delivered sequentially (except the Kingston units) so naturally these Freedoms should be done the same.

And aren't ION and ETS's delivered in sequential order iirc?

Edmonton's cars have not been delivered in order. After the pilot vehicle (1001) was delivered, the first "production" unit delivered was 1004, followed by 1007, then 1005. Part of this IIRC was due to completed units being backed up in Kingston while Edmonton was unable to receive the vehicles on property.

I would take the tweet from Metrolinx with a grain of salt. The PR communications people who run the Twitter account normally aren't hardcore transitfans like us, and can take some liberties with the information, such as rounding the number of cars delivered. They are a couple of people removed from those actually receiving and accounting for the cars, so they might just get a simple answer of "around/at least 20" from the first person they ask and send that reply out to the public, rather than waiting for another day or few to get in touch with someone who would message someone else who would have the exact count. There's also other technicalities regarding the status, such as which cars are delivered and on property, but not accepted by Metrolinx yet, which make it difficult to say what the exact number is.

The Flexity cars are built in order, but as Articulated correctly pointed out Edmonton's are being delivered out of order as they didn't have a location to deliver them to until more recently. As of early this year, Bombardier had about 15 of their cars sitting at Millhaven waiting to be shipped.

As for the Metrolinx cars, they've got over 30 of the cars on the property. 45 have been completed - I think that it was 6245 that was spotted being shipped to Thunder Bay for equipment installation 2 weeks ago, and 2 more cars are on their way up there now.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Hard to take an article seriously that says "As it turns out, the coupled Bombardier Flexity Freedom LRVs look a lot like the conjoined GO Trains that run together across the GTA — but with only two cars in the convoy."

Pretty clear that whoever wrote this has never been to Toronto ... or perhaps even Canada.

• Haha 2