• 3 weeks later...

No, I was honestly not expecting anything.....especially not special on Eglinton. lol.

It is only the beginning of the construction zone/period. Hopefully they figure out a more efficient means of construction as they go along and implement it as the project progresses eastward!

It is only the beginning of the construction zone/period. Hopefully they figure out a more efficient means of construction as they go along and implement it as the project progresses eastward!

On the other hand, I remember when Sheppard was closed between Yonge and Beecroft during the construction of the Sheppard subway. Hence the special treatment comment.

• 2 weeks later...

All the old pictures suggest that Yonge Street was a bloody disaster from 1951-1954....but no one will seriously suggest that the TTC should have taken pity on the residents and cancelled the whole thing. No pain, no gain.....it will be over eventually.

- Paul

All the old pictures suggest that Yonge Street was a bloody disaster from 1951-1954....but no one will seriously suggest that the TTC should have taken pity on the residents and cancelled the whole thing.

The funny thing about that is the pictures leave out one detail which would freak out residents if the TTC were to propose using it today:

they used explosives to help excavate the southern portion of the Yonge line.

The funny thing about that is the pictures leave out one detail which would freak out residents if the TTC were to propose using it today:

they used explosives to help excavate the southern portion of the Yonge line.

The NIMBYs would come out in full force for that one.

Just a shame the subway was cancelled back then........

The bigger shame was that no effort was made to ensure that work could be easily restarted. I mean, how much money would have been saved now if the Eglinton West-Allen station box had been roughed in rather than just filling in the hole back then?

There was an excavated pit immediately to the east of Eglinton West Station. I can't recall there being a matching pit to the west of the Station, but if there was those would have been the only two locations where any excavation was performed along the line.

Dan

The bigger shame was that no effort was made to ensure that work could be easily restarted. I mean, how much money would have been saved now if the Eglinton West-Allen station box had been roughed in rather than just filling in the hole back then?

The station box for that design was much bigger, being for much longer trains.

In all honesty, would that have mattered if they had actually done it?

Might have ... not sure it would have been wide enough for the current TBMs. The original Eglinton TBMs (ultimately used on Sheppard) were narrower than the Spadina Extension TBMs, which in turn are narrower than the new Eglinton TBMs.

• 2 weeks later...

Metrolinx released the Environmental Project Report addendum for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT earlier this week. I was skimming through it and one thing I found was all the possible configurations considered for the Mount Dennis Transit Terminal that were considered, one of which was a two level stacked terminal similar to Wilson. But the most interesting info I found is more details on the bus routes serving the terminal. Below is the info of all the routes proposed to be serving the terminal, including their routing and peak period service levels.

19 Jane South - New routing running south from Mount Dennis Terminal to Jane Station using Eglinton-Jane. 6 minute peak period service. No express service.

32 Eglinton West - Running from Renforth to Mount Dennis Terminal. 5 minute service during peak periods

34 Eglinton - Renaming from current "34 Eglinton East". Runs from Mount Dennnis Terminal to Kennedy Station, paralleling the LRT line. 15 minute service during peak periods.

35 Jane - Running from Mount Dennis Terminal to Steeles West Station using Eglinton-Jane-Steeles. 3 minute peak service. 35E will also follow the same routing with 10 minute peak period service.

71 Runnymede - Running from Runnymede Station to Mount Dennis Terminal. Essentially the same exact routing of 71B to Black Creek & Eglinton. The route would then serve Mount Dennis Terminal and then return south through the reverse routing (Black Creek-Todd Baylis-Industry-Ray-Weston). 15 minute peak period service.

89 Weston* - Running the current routing but serving Mount Dennis Terminal at Eglinton. 5 minute peak service. New express service from the Mount Dennis Terminal to the north (I'm assuming to Albion) will be introduced running every 10 minutes during peak periods.

161 Rogers Rd* - Running from Ossington Station to Mount Dennis Terminal. It will follow its current routing to Weston & Black Creek/Humber Blvd but continue north up Black Creek to Mount Dennis Terminal. 8 minute peak period service.

168 Symington - Running from Dundas West Station to Mount Dennis Terminal. Extended north up Weston Rd from current Avon Loop terminus (Weston & Rogers) and east on Eglinton to Mount Dennis Terminal. 4 minute peak period service.

170 Emmett - Essentially the current 32D, but shortened to run from Emmett to Mount Dennis Terminal. 15 minute peak period service.

171 Mount Dennis - Completely re-routed from the current loop routing it does now. Running from Mount Dennis Terminal south on Black Creek and west on Humber Blvd to serve the western loop that 161 currently serves. 20 minute peak period service.

* - The routing info in writing for 89 and 161 contradicts what the map shows. The routing info I wrote for these routes reflect the map as those routes make more sense.

The terminal will have a total of 15 bus bays (6 for 40ft and 9 for 60ft buses). Each route gets its own bus bay except for 71 and 171, which will share a bay. 89 will get 3 bays (northbound, southbound and express) and 35 will get 2 bays (one for 35 and one for 35E). One bay will be left for Wheel-Trans and two for unloading.

Another thing mentioned in this section of the addendum is that during peak periods the LRT will run every 2 minutes underground and every 3 minutes above ground. This seems to be hinting that they might have short turn service running from Weston to Don Mills with another branch running the full routing from Weston to Kennedy. Service will initially begin with trainsets made of 2 LRVs, but all stations will be built with platforms that are long enough for 3 LRV trainsets.

All this info is within this section of the addendum: http://www.toronto.c...dfile-57610.pdf

What is the purpose of supplementing the surface portion of the LRT east of Don Mills with a bus service (and a relatively frequent one at that?)

Perhaps, Metrolinx is betting on never actually building that portion at all, especially if the political winds change at Queens Park? Or perhaps converting the entire route to Kennedy to (gasp!) ICTS, with widely spaced stations?

What is the purpose of supplementing the surface portion of the LRT east of Don Mills with a bus service (and a relatively frequent one at that?) Perhaps, Metrolinx is betting on never actually building that portion at all, especially if the political winds change at Queens Park? Or perhaps converting the entire route to Kennedy to (gasp!) ICTS, with widely spaced stations?

Supplementary bus service IS needed!

be it subway or LRT, this section on Eglinton is already widely spaced. The stops between Pharmacy and LeBovic are all heavily used RH, (somewhat day) and the stops between Warden and Kennedy are all RH heavily *(industrial) used. (Stops east of Birchmount are not industrial but all heavily used(apartments etc). Kennedy Rd is one of the busiest stops as Kennedy station(now) is very difficult (and a fairly long to walk) to and from the only pedestrian entrance beside Cnada Post. A surprising number of people cannot or will not walk this. WB Eg towards Brichmount is all up hill so there will be many of the apartment people who will not be able to walk to Birchmount LRT Stn.I guess their option is a long walk downhill to Ionview?

Positive Yonge to Brentcliffe will not have an Eglinton bus but other bus routes will cover this portion

i'm betting there will be no Eglinton bus service at all (east of Pharmacy) and people will just have to suck it up and get used to walking to work

32 Eglinton West - Running from Renforth to Mount Dennis Terminal. 5 minute service during peak periods

I guess no more service on Trethewey northwest of Black Creek?

171 Mount Dennis - Completely re-routed from the current loop routing it does now. Running from Mount Dennis Terminal south on Black Creek and west on Humber Blvd to serve the western loop that 161 currently serves. 20 minute peak period service.

They've basically recreated the old 48 Humber Blvd route. :)