No extensive spalling on the columns, not a lot of exposed rebar (very little last I saw), which means that the core structure hasn't been compromised.

If they can turn condos out of the old Tower Auto building on Sterling, I'm sure something reasonable could be done with this. The question is ... what?

Have you seen it? That's what it is now. After god knows how many years of abandonement, the vandals have picked it clean and defaced ever square inch of it. Somebody could'nt even board the place up. There's nothing left to save without massive investment, cheaper to tear it down.

It was boarded up multiple times, but the local troublemakers, graffiti artists, rave clubs, photographers shooting models and urban explorers always seem to find ways in...

I assume it'll be the one shown in the picture, and not the actual demonstration model we will be receiving soon... :(

It's quite clear in the article that it will be a mock-up of the Transit City LRV. The new Legacy streetcars are a different vehicle.

Sorry for the delay, folks. I went to the CNE last weekend and I've managed to take a few shots of the new LRVs for the Crosstown LRT line. Here they are below:

100_3488.jpg

100_3487.jpg

100_3489.jpg

There's also a feature in which you can take a picture of yourself inside the LRV cab. I've tried "fruitlessly" on searching my photo that I took last weekend, but to no avail (at the time of this posting, I'm still searching for it).

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, folks. I went to the CNE last weekend and I've managed to take a few shots of the new LRVs for the Crosstown LRT line. Here they are below:

100_3488.jpg

100_3487.jpg

100_3489.jpg

There's also a feature in which you can take a picture of yourself inside the LRV cab. I've tried "fruitlessly" on searching my photo that I took last weekend, but to no avail (at the time of this posting, I'm still searching for it).

Try sifting through your bag or collection to find that photo you want. You might find it somehow.

Try sifting through your bag or collection to find that photo you want. You might find it somehow.

It was on their Facebook page, however. The photo collection there - was enormous. I wish they should (and could) have sorted the pictures that they took for the visitors in there - by date. That way - it would have been much easier.

TTC won't operate Eglinton LRT

I'd like to see the City's and the TTC's reactions on this... this should prove for some very interesting fireworks and political drama.

Needless to say I'm very much against this... besides for a decades-old by-law banning any agency or company from operating public transit services within the City of Toronto that this proposal would run headlong against (GO is exempt as a provincial agency) I can see major problems already for integration of the two lines and communicating between the private company (which wants to ensure its fare revenue share is being counted) and the TTC which will probably have major sour grapes being forced to accept and work with another operator.

TTC won't operate Eglinton LRT

I'd like to see the City's and the TTC's reactions on this... this should prove for some very interesting fireworks and political drama.

Oh boy, here we go again! I think Toronto is a SimCity and whoever is playing the game is purposely making it's denizens unhappy. After reading the article I like the idea of having someone(or some company) pay or get fined when construction dates aren't met. If anyone has seen Discovery / History channel shows about "mega construction" there is always mention about deadlines and if they are not met there are fines to be paid and the firm that is doing the construction is highly motivated for this not to happen. The Petronas Towers in Malaysia for example were built by two competing firms. Each tower was completed under budget and ahead of schedule. It puzzles me that this method isn't used here (or if it is used sometimes, why not ALL the time?). There must be a happy middle ground where the construction is done in this manor, but TTC operates it once complete. The questions raised about customers having to pay one or two fares and other such seamless or non-seamless transfer methods is what concerns me about TTC not operating the lines.

I could smell this one coming a mile away after the mayor's and council's dithering.

They've pretty much taken them out of the equasion now. But it introduces those 3 words I loathe... "Public Private Partnership"

I could smell this one coming a mile away after the mayor's and council's dithering.

They've pretty much taken them out of the equasion now. But it introduces those 3 words I loathe... "Public Private Partnership"

c'mon I hate Ford also but NONE of this is his doing. I think it is all because the City put up ZERO dollars and Queen's Park put up ALL 9 BILLION. It was obvious that he who pays gets to call all of the shots. I think this has been coming for a long time, small clue new Scar RT or whatever stopping at Kennedy as usual and not going right across Eglinton and so on. I guess? what we are getting now are basically GO transit lines, only down the middle of Eg,Shep & Finch. They will schedule however they like. Not quite the bill of goods we were sold on.....

I do have a question, what will happen to the rest of the people on Eglinton now. The article states that Stintz confirmed there will be NO bus service at all on Eglinton. In Scar pretty much ALL of the stops between Kennedy and Pharmacy see pretty heavy rush hour use (all the industry etc). I guess these people walk now? I always assumed TTC would operate a bus shuttle at least over to VP?

After reading the article I like the idea of having someone(or some company) pay or get fined when construction dates aren't met. If anyone has seen Discovery / History channel shows about "mega construction" there is always mention about deadlines and if they are not met there are fines to be paid and the firm that is doing the construction is highly motivated for this not to happen.

ALL major construction contracts have a clause like this. The difficulty is in ensuring it is air-tight but still fair - that's where the lawyers come in.

c'mon I hate Ford also but NONE of this is his doing. I think it is all because the City put up ZERO dollars and Queen's Park put up ALL 9 BILLION. It was obvious that he who pays gets to call all of the shots. I think this has been coming for a long time, small clue new Scar RT or whatever stopping at Kennedy as usual and not going right across Eglinton and so on. I guess? what we are getting now are basically GO transit lines, only down the middle of Eg,Shep & Finch. They will schedule however they like. Not quite the bill of goods we were sold on.....

I agree....and yet I don't. Ford, rightfully or wrongfully, did put the whole thing on hold for over a year. That was enough time to delay the construction on almost all of the fronts and allow McGuinty time to push everything over into Infrastructure Ontario. Had Ford not acted as he did (and had McGuinty and Metrolinx not so totally caved to his will), we would be talking about opening the Sheppard Line in a year and a half, and we would also have the second portal on Eglinton well under way as well. Instead, we have.....well.....a hole in the ground at Keelesdale Park.

But you're right in that the writing has been on the wall for a long while. I guess it shouldn't be surprised that we are getting a Design-Build-Operate-Maintain contract - IO seems to really like putting all of their eggs in one big proverbial basket. Never mind that it limits the field of those capable of fielding an entry to only two or three entries....

The thing that really scares me about the whole process is that while we're unlikely to get the full-on effect of a Canada Line - i.e. a complete change in construction methods without public input and after the awarding of the contract, resulting in years of headaches for those living in and around the construction area, and hugely fucking up the centre of the City - handing off total control does leave the potential for more headaches in the short-term. The TTC wanted to stage the construction of the stations over several years, so that you would only have a couple of a couple of intersections under construction at any given time, and allowing more companies to bid on them because there would only be one or two stations per contract. Now, what will happen is anyone's guess. It is entirely out of the public control. So much for transparency.

I do have a question, what will happen to the rest of the people on Eglinton now. The article states that Stintz confirmed there will be NO bus service at all on Eglinton. In Scar pretty much ALL of the stops between Kennedy and Pharmacy see pretty heavy rush hour use (all the industry etc). I guess these people walk now? I always assumed TTC would operate a bus shuttle at least over to VP?

I don't know about VP, but when I went to the community info sessions way back when the planners felt that local service would be handled by buses from Laird to Keele, and likely by routes that aren't completely unlike what runs today. The section from Laird to Victoria Park, and from Keele to Weston (and thence onto Scarlett) is quite a bit more sparse and wasn't likely to need a parallel bus service despite the stop spacing of the LRT. But now that this news has broken....who knows. We're talking about 8 (or 11, depending on who you believe) years out from now. A lot can happen between now and then.

Dan

What concernes me over any private operator of the Crosstown is whether the contract will include any ridership minimums and what sort of penalties will happen if the line doesn't meet those levels. Simply put, if the Crosstown begins to underperform, would the Warden to Kennedy segment of the BD line suddenly need to be shut down frequently due to "unexpected emergency repairs"?

If that's true then who paid how much in fines for the St. Clair ROW?

The fines only cover issues with construction, and the constructors. Not outside factors such as a lawsuit.

The City was going after the various groups that delayed construction through the legal system, but I don't know what has become of that.

Dan

Interesting. Does this mean 24 hour LRT service on this line and no Blue Night Network Bus Service? Wonder who will provide shuttle bus service when the line goes down or when its time for track replacement.

The questions raised about customers having to pay one or two fares and other such seamless or non-seamless transfer methods is what concerns me about TTC not operating the lines.

What concerns me about TTC not operating the lines is who is going to operate it, maintain it, etc,.? metrolinx? Will it be a unionized workplace like TTC and if not will that create any possible friction between the two? So much for seamless. Look, this could be the beginning of something more sinister, two tier transit? If this trial balloon of privatized transit works and is successful and that's a pretty big if this early on, can the inevitable conclusion of TTC's own survival be far behind?

Interesting. Does this mean 24 hour LRT service on this line and no Blue Night Network Bus Service? Wonder who will provide shuttle bus service when the line goes down or when its time for track replacement.

Well, if Metrolinx doesn't go cheap on the design, it wouldn't be too difficult to build the line to handle one track operations. But yes, this is assuming they even want to run the line 24/7.

What concerns me about TTC not operating the lines is who is going to operate it, maintain it, etc,.? metrolinx? Will it be a unionized workplace like TTC and if not will that create any possible friction between the two? So much for seamless. Look, this could be the beginning of something more sinister, two tier transit? If this trial balloon of privatized transit works and is successful and that's a pretty big if this early on, can the inevitable conclusion of TTC's own survival be far behind?

thats what worries me.

If the worst happens, I'm putting the house up for sale and jumping ship.

Completely agree, and with regards to the the political infighting between the idiot mayor, Stintz and the Gary Webster fiasco, this combination of incompetence, lack of focus and stubbornness, end result was a lack of leadership or promotion of TTC that basically forced Metrolinx to grudgingly take over and show some backbone and leadership(cough)? What other future city transit projects will the TTC not be included in? This is definitely a defining moment and turning point in this city with regards to transit, and for me, not a good one or one that needed to happen. :angry:

Completely agree, and with regards to the the political infighting between the idiot mayor, Stintz and the Gary Webster fiasco, this combination of incompetence, lack of focus and stubbornness, end result was a lack of leadership or promotion of TTC that basically forced Metrolinx to grudgingly take over and show some backbone and leadership(cough)? What other future city transit projects will the TTC not be included in? This is definitely a defining moment and turning point in this city with regards to transit, and for me, not a good one or one that needed to happen. :angry:

I'm not so sure. I have no love for Ford, Stintz or Webster but I believe that this was the Provincial plan all along. Queen's Park does not play well with others and I really think that regardless of who was Mayor, or what Council wanted, The Province(Metrolinx) always planned on owning/running the whole thing. The Province demanded Presto and we now will have Presto. Whoever pays gets the final say.

I have concerns over how the line will be operated. I realize wide headways, anything to save a buck etc but what about the operators? Will they be union men? Is this similar to the railways? Will these operators be a part of the TTC union? Or will they just put out a cattle call, train them for a week and then you have your new operators?