I stand corrected. Though for the amount of people I saw up there, that's too much service, imho.

The decision to run no greater than 6 minute headways on all rapid transit routes has dated to before the Sheppard subway opened. The high level of service (even when it's unnecessary) draws people to use it because they always know a train will be along in a short time.

Sheppard line always runs with 4 trains at all times (unless there's a major problem with one of them, then it's temporarily removed from the line until a replacement 4-car set can be made at Davisville).

Just like to add: sometimes they will remove a train from service on Sheppard for staffing issues. When you see a train parked on the north platform at Sheppard, this may be the cause. Usually it's to have the crew go to "help out" on the YUS when it's a disaster, or temporarily while the wicket tries to get somebody up on Sheppard to fill that open spot (illness, emergency at home, ...).

Sheppard line always runs with 4 trains at all times (unless there's a major problem with one of them, then it's temporarily removed from the line until a replacement 4-car set can be made at Davisville). Because of the long distances between stations and bored tunnels, the only time you will pass another train and see it is at Bessarion, the middle of the line. You also have a 1 in 4 chance of getting the same trainset during a round trip.

I always thought that 5 4-car trainsets are always stored on the line. Eliminating the need to bring them back down to Davisville, while providing a readily available extra set. I remember it being mentioned on here awhile back. When did that all change?

I always thought that 5 4-car trainsets are always stored on the line. Eliminating the need to bring them back down to Davisville, while providing a readily available extra set. I remember it being mentioned on here awhile back. When did that all change?

They used to keep 1 spare in the tail tracks at Sheppard, with 4 in service when the line first opened. They would still need to bring one up from Davisville to replace a defective train, once they swap it with the one in the tails.

I don't know if that spare is still there in the tails, I'd assume it was.

They used to keep 1 spare in the tail tracks at Sheppard, with 4 in service when the line first opened. They would still need to bring one up from Davisville to replace a defective train, once they swap it with the one in the tails.

I don't know if that spare is still there in the tails, I'd assume it was.

I would assume they still keep a spare in the tail tracks east of Yonge.That wat they don't have to wait to get a replacement set in service from Davisville Yard as Articulated claims they do.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/toronto/ttc-takes-on-metrolinx-over-eglinton-line/article2318278/

TTC takes on Metrolinx over Eglinton line

With the mayor embroiled in a power struggle over the fate of the Eglinton Crosstown line, a new political standoff is sowing further uncertainty into Canada’s most expensive infrastructure project.

The TTC is bridling at attempts by Metrolinx to strip its design and construction duties for the project in favour of the private sector, leaving the city transit agency with the sole job of operating trains.

“We don’t believe that another third party can come in and design and build a project and simply hand us the keys,” said TTC spokesman Brad Ross. “There are standards we need met. We think it would delay the project if that were the case.”

In a report going before TTC commissioners on Tuesday, TTC staff demand that the province halt all pending decisions for the $8.2-billion Crosstown line until it can sort out its differences with Metrolinx. By Friday evening, Metrolinx was unable to issue a response.

Staff also recommend assembling a panel of experts from other large North American transit agencies to review plans for the line.

According to Mr. Ross, Metrolinx was supposed to foot the project bill and leave the TTC in charge of planning, designing, engineering and building.

But that arrangement conflicts with the mandate for Infrastructure Ontario, the provincial procurement agency designed to attract public-private partnerships to large capital projects. The agency would tend to favour private-sector expertise over the in-house know-how at the TTC.

The province has told the TTC that Infrastructure Ontario can negotiate a faster completion time at a cheaper price.

“We just don’t feel that would be the case,” Mr. Ross said. “We would have to follow around behind them and make sure everything was to standard, and that would delay the project. Whereas if we were doing the designing and building it would be under our control and we could ensure against the project being delayed.”

The dispute emerges at a time when the project is already in flux. A group of councillors, including TTC Chair Karen Stintz, is formulating a plan to defy Mr. Ford’s underground-only mantra and place eastern portions of the Eglinton line above ground. Any money saved from the design modification would be diverted to the mayor’s Sheppard subway project and rapid transit along Finch.

The staff report raises yet a third outstanding issue: the vehicles.

The city ordered 182 Bombardier low-floor light rail vehicles for the Crosstown based on the assumption that Toronto was building 52 kilometres of above-ground, centre-lane rail called for under the Transit City plan.

But that all changed when Mr. Ford cancelled Transit City and signed a deal with Premier Dalton McGuinty to bury the entire Eglinton line.

TTC staff must now decide if those Bombardier cars are still appropriate.

Their report will appear at a February TTC meeting.

seriously this is going nowhere

really i can bet that 90% of torontonians would just want to see something done now instead of years of fruitless arguments on whos business interests are first...

the TTC execs are pretty much a failure; metrolinx does not have the spine to squash them and assume full control and Ontario is just sitting back and enjoying the show...

As a resident of Yonge & Eglinton when I was little, I've always dreamed of some sort of rapid transit along Eglinton. Although, due to politicians arguing constantly, corruption, and all these other problems, my dream will not come true until I'm an old man with a cane, or maybe not even in my lifetime. If things are so hard, just build the entire Eglinton LRT at street level as noted by Christopher Hume, and please stop arguing and come up with a decision! I would hate to see this turn into something like Boston's Big Dig.

As a resident of Yonge & Eglinton when I was little, I've always dreamed of some sort of rapid transit along Eglinton. Although, due to politicians arguing constantly, corruption, and all these other problems, my dream will not come true until I'm an old man with a cane, or maybe not even in my lifetime. If things are so hard, just build the entire Eglinton LRT at street level as noted by Christopher Hume, and please stop arguing and come up with a decision! I would hate to see this turn into something like Boston's Big Dig.

They will never come up with a decision, there are so many viewpoints in today's politics...if this were 1955, the LRT would be built now, regardless of what was in the way.

At the rate things are going, they're going to have to start playing Yakety Sax on the news whenever there is a story about the Crosstown.
Truer words were never spoken. If there is anyone out there with enough time and creativity PLEASE put together a collage of clips of David Miller, Adam Giambrone, some councilors, then Rob Ford, Karen Stintz, some more councilors walking in and out of doors, up to podiums and away from podiums, etc. General back and forth motions and piece it all together with Yakety Sax! That would be so great!

At least the Boston Big Dig Got Done

There was an article in one of th e papers on the weekend which suggested that Ford did not have the legal authority to cancel Transit city without a vote at city council. And that the only reason why everyone went along with it is because they were fear mongered into beliveing that their job was on the line if they didnt. http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1123218--mayor-rob-ford-had-no-authority-to-cancel-transit-city-lawyers-say?bn=1

Does it really matter at this point?
Matters hugely. Council has to vote on it sooner or later. It doesn't seem there is actually support in council to go with the mayor's plan - and it's best it goes to council sooner, rather than later, and waste more time.
The fact is that our transportation network is starving for improvements...I think Mihevc is tipping the first domino, creating a huge domino effect that will only create more problems than it will solve.
I'm not seeing a downside here. If Sheppard plans were ready, and they could start digging the 10 km of subway next week, then I can see delay would be bad. But there is no indication that there has been any progress on Sheppard. The only part of the current plan where there will be any digging in the next 3-4 years is between Weston and Leslie - and that is the same in both projects. So i don't see how there would be any delays.

But there's a huge upside ... for if they do revert to the currently approved council plan, we could still see the Sheppard East RT completed in 4 years.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Isn't the Eglinton line supposed to be buried on its approach to Kennedy station so that it used the redesigned mezzanine level? The press conference Ford held the other day at Kennedy and Eglinton saying it'd be foolish to run streetcars (his actual wording)through that intersection backed by some Scarborough councillors somehow struck me as odd given that (potential, again correct me if I'm wrong) oversight. It looks like he chose to overlook that feature of the original (if he even bothered to look at it or in that much detail) surface-running component of the line to get his message across. Given the traffic at that intersection, and the approach required it makes sense that it would have gone back underground west of Kennedy.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here. Isn't the Eglinton line supposed to be buried on its approach to Kennedy station so that it used the redesigned mezzanine level?

I don't think they'd decided. The EA report says the design into Kennedy was part of a separate study. The Kennedy design itself came out in one of the later SRT reports, and the selected choice was shown in Exhibit 2-5 on page 2-5. It does show the line underground to the west of Kennedy.

The press conference Ford held the other day at Kennedy and Eglinton

It believe it was at Victoria Park and Eglinton, not Kennedy.