Eglinton Crosstown line

38 minutes ago, Mike said:

Aren't the 14x routes dead for all intents and purposes - and not coming back at any point?

They are operationally dead but not politically yet.

58 minutes ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

True. But I wonder if the TTC can restore service on these areas before September 2016 until the line officially opens? I’d say these routes between Yonge and Don Mills that could do so prior to the work since left turns are to be reinstated on Eglinton and Mount Pleasant anyway:

- 25 DON MILLS (I wonder if they restore through service between Don Mills Station, otherwise it's kept)
- 34 EGLINTON EAST (34B/34C eliminated, replaced by reinstated 100B/100C)
- 74 MOUNT PLEASANT (service restored to Eglinton loop)
- 100 FLEMINGDON PARK (100B and 100C branches restored, operating on the same levels as 34C)
- 103 MOUNT PLEASANT NORTH (route restored before September 2016)

The 141 DOWNTOWN/MOUNT PLEASANT EXPRESS is still on hiatus until the route is completely reinstated.

It will only happen if they can save a bus or two. We’ll see more cuts soon.

17 hours ago, Kumiko Oumae said:

True. But I wonder if the TTC can restore service on these areas before September 2016 until the line officially opens? I’d say these routes between Yonge and Don Mills that could do so prior to the work since left turns are to be reinstated on Eglinton and Mount Pleasant anyway:

- 25 DON MILLS (I wonder if they restore through service between Don Mills Station, otherwise it's kept)
- 34 EGLINTON EAST (34B/34C eliminated, replaced by reinstated 100B/100C)
- 74 MOUNT PLEASANT (service restored to Eglinton loop)
- 100 FLEMINGDON PARK (100B and 100C branches restored, operating on the same levels as 34C)
- 103 MOUNT PLEASANT NORTH (route restored before September 2016)

The 141 DOWNTOWN/MOUNT PLEASANT EXPRESS is still on hiatus until the route is completely reinstated.

As pointed out above, it really doesn't make sense to reinstate some of those routes prior to the line opening.

I frankly also think that the TTC's plans for Mount Pleasant are ridiculous and self-defeating, but that's neither here nor there.

No, the bigger issue is that even though most of the intersections along Eglinton have been completely and fully reinstated - such as Bayview and Mount Pleasant - there are still a number of key sections that have not been, and will thus continue to negatively affect traffic patterns. There is no point trying to shoehorn all of those bus routes along the construction-strewn length of Eglinton from Dunfield to Duplex when it's hard enough as it is, and ridership still hasn't quite recuperated to its pre-COVID levels.

17 hours ago, Mike said:

Aren't the 14x routes dead for all intents and purposes - and not coming back at any point?

I don't think that we're likely to ever get an official notice that they are no longer, but I do think it's fair to assume that they won't be coming back.

Dan

2 hours ago, Mike said:

What are the plans for 74/103 once Eglinton LRT opens?

Both routes would be split again, and both would run into Eglinton Station.

The same would also happen on the west side, with Avenue Rd. and Avenue Rd. North.

This results in an unneeded duplication of service and additional annual costs that are not only are unnecessary, but could have been used to improve both sets of services over their previous levels.

Dan

On 2/14/2023 at 12:15 PM, Young said:

There’s a video on Facebook of TTC testing buses at Mount Dennis Station 

Too add to this Iirc back In 2017 2 months prior to the opening of the TYYSE extension they tested buses at pioneer village bus terminal and Finch West bus terminal so maybe this will be the same maybe not 2 months but maybe 3-6 months cause also remember finch west wasn’t completely done till the day before opening so who knows

On 2/14/2023 at 3:30 PM, smallspy said:

Both routes would be split again, and both would run into Eglinton Station.

The same would also happen on the west side, with Avenue Rd. and Avenue Rd. North.

This results in an unneeded duplication of service and additional annual costs that are not only are unnecessary, but could have been used to improve both sets of services over their previous levels.

Dan

Yeah. it makes no sense whatsoever to re-split the 74 and maintain the split of the 13 and the 61. The 13 should run from Bombay to Queens park via Avenue Station and the 74 should stay running from St Clair station to Doncliffe via Mt Pleasant station. This isn't even the only instances of mystifying decisions concerning surface routes and line 5. The ttc wants to route the 935 to Mount Dennis station whilst maintaining the routing between Pioneer Village station and Jane station. It's such an unnecessary jog and it's not a small one either. Imagine waiting for the 935 at Eglinton only to be forced to watch it turn down Eglinton before coming back to continue its journey. 

Many are quite agreed on that it should pass through the intersection with no changes to its routing. In the proposals, there would be 4 bus routes passing through that intersection heading to Mt Dennis station. The 27 Jane South, the 35 Jane, the 32 Eglinton West and the 170 Emmett. It wouldn't be any issue for someone on the 935 wanting to go to line 5 to hop off at Eglinton and just transfer to another bus and vice versa. 

38 minutes ago, lifty4ever said:

Yeah. it makes no sense whatsoever to re-split the 74 and maintain the split of the 13 and the 61. The 13 should run from Bombay to Queens park via Avenue Station and the 74 should stay running from St Clair station to Doncliffe via Mt Pleasant station. This isn't even the only instances of mystifying decisions concerning surface routes and line 5. The ttc wants to route the 935 to Mount Dennis station whilst maintaining the routing between Pioneer Village station and Jane station. It's such an unnecessary jog and it's not a small one either. Imagine waiting for the 935 at Eglinton only to be forced to watch it turn down Eglinton before coming back to continue its journey. 

Many are quite agreed on that it should pass through the intersection with no changes to its routing. In the proposals, there would be 4 bus routes passing through that intersection heading to Mt Dennis station. The 27 Jane South, the 35 Jane, the 32 Eglinton West and the 170 Emmett. It wouldn't be any issue for someone on the 935 wanting to go to line 5 to hop off at Eglinton and just transfer to another bus and vice versa. 

A bus ride from Eglinton/Brimley to Eglinton/Warden used to be stemless in the 1970s. Then Kennedy Station opened results in a detour to the station. Then they split the 34 into the 116 and finally dropped the 34 to Kingston Rd branch (which was rush only in the final days). Now one would have to wait for another bus.

The 25B/C split is another example of this but they at least have the 925. They simply change the route structure to suit the needs for most connecting to the subway but negates the few that wants to continue on. 

The 89 is going to have this big detour instead of just dropping people off at the intersection. It makes bus connection simpler but to have the 89 run through a huge loop to get to the station will take up at least 5 minutes. 

10 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

This isn't even the only instances of mystifying decisions concerning surface routes and line 5. The ttc wants to route the 935 to Mount Dennis station whilst maintaining the routing between Pioneer Village station and Jane station. It's such an unnecessary jog and it's not a small one either. Imagine waiting for the 935 at Eglinton only to be forced to watch it turn down Eglinton before coming back to continue its journey. 

The latest proposal last year has 935 staying the same as current day. If you want to get to Mount Dennis Station from Jane St you have to take a local bus.

On 2/16/2023 at 2:36 PM, wil9402 said:

The latest proposal last year has 935 staying the same as current day. If you want to get to Mount Dennis Station from Jane St you have to take a local bus.

I hadn't seen that proposal. Could you link it please? I had seen the survey where it was noted that this was a heavily suggested idea.

On 2/16/2023 at 4:23 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

A bus ride from Eglinton/Brimley to Eglinton/Warden used to be stemless in the 1970s. Then Kennedy Station opened results in a detour to the station. Then they split the 34 into the 116 and finally dropped the 34 to Kingston Rd branch (which was rush only in the final days). Now one would have to wait for another bus.

The 25B/C split is another example of this but they at least have the 925. They simply change the route structure to suit the needs for most connecting to the subway but negates the few that wants to continue on. 

The 89 is going to have this big detour instead of just dropping people off at the intersection. It makes bus connection simpler but to have the 89 run through a huge loop to get to the station will take up at least 5 minutes. 

The 89/989's detour isn't going to be as big as Weston Road is right there. The increase in time of journey will only be minor. Interestingly, the 989 will be routed in both directions along Black Creek Drive and Photography Drive to speed up entry (nb) and departure (sb) from Mt Dennis stn which i think is an interesting and good idea. the local 161 will remain on Weston Road providing local service to Eglinton.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 4:23 AM, Xtrazsteve said:

I think at least 5 minutes is right in non rush hour times, and probably closer to 10 minutes during rush hour. 

13 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

I hadn't seen that proposal. Could you link it please? I had seen the survey where it was noted that this was a heavily suggested idea.

The 89/989's detour isn't going to be as big as Weston Road is right there. The increase in time of journey will only be minor. Interestingly, the 989 will be routed in both directions along Black Creek Drive and Photography Drive to speed up entry (nb) and departure (sb) from Mt Dennis stn which i think is an interesting and good idea. the local 161 will remain on Weston Road providing local service to Eglinton.

You realize this detour on the 89 is 2km right??? That's 25 minutes to walk this path which does not translate in "minor" 30 second detour in bus driving speed. It's all curves and slow traffic so even if there is no one to pick up and running an average of 30km/h it will take 4 minutes. Then the bus needs to wait for green and everyone to cross to make the rights on Weston to and from Eglinton and that signalized left turn from the busway back onto Eglinton will take up to a minute. This isn't as simple as the typical 54 stop at Lawrence East Stn.

detour-89.thumb.jpg.aa2ef919bbad2c1345f2087a2294d906.jpg

Two additional buses would be needed in rush hour to maintain the current headways. If I am a rider, I am getting off at the intersection and walking into the station. 

16 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

See item 9 from the February 2022 meeting in the link below. The plan was approved. 

https://www.ttc.ca/public-meetings/board/2022/Board-Meeting-Feb-10?tab=0 

16 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

161, 168, 171 and 989 will enter/exit via Black Creek. 71 and 89 will use Weston Rd.

23 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

Lets see....wait to make a left turn off Weston Rd ,,, make a rights turn onto the road to the station...loop the station to the bus bay....drop off/pickup riders.... right turn out of the station....wait for light to make a left turn onto Eglinton...wait for light to make a left turn onto Weston Rd = 7 minutes at the best of time for southbound 89 and 6 minutes for northbound.

I do not class this as a minor detour. Far better off having riders doing an walking transfer for a few riders than inconvenient for the bulk of the riders on the bus.

Same for 989.

Need to see real data on transferring at Mount Dennis and that not going to happen at least 2 months after Mount Dennis station open to see the split between GO, UPX and Crosstown to see it should live after 6-12 mounts of service.

21 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

You realize this detour on the 89 is 2km right??? That's 25 minutes to walk this path which does not translate in "minor" 30 second detour in bus driving speed. It's all curves and slow traffic so even if there is no one to pick up and running an average of 30km/h it will take 4 minutes. Then the bus needs to wait for green and everyone to cross to make the rights on Weston to and from Eglinton and that signalized left turn from the busway back onto Eglinton will take up to a minute. This isn't as simple as the typical 54 stop at Lawrence East Stn.

detour-89.thumb.jpg.aa2ef919bbad2c1345f2087a2294d906.jpg

Two additional buses would be needed in rush hour to maintain the current headways. If I am a rider, I am getting off at the intersection and walking into the station. 

It's negligible. It would take the exact same amount of time (both cases in best scenario to reach the platforms of the station. Even not in the best case scenario, you're taking extra, unnecessary effort. There are other routes that take as large if not larger meanders. Only in the 935's case was it deemed excessive. 

17 hours ago, wil9402 said:

See item 9 from the February 2022 meeting in the link below. The plan was approved. 

https://www.ttc.ca/public-meetings/board/2022/Board-Meeting-Feb-10?tab=0 

161, 168, 171 and 989 will enter/exit via Black Creek. 71 and 89 will use Weston Rd.

Ta!

11 hours ago, drum118 said:

Lets see....wait to make a left turn off Weston Rd ,,, make a rights turn onto the road to the station...loop the station to the bus bay....drop off/pickup riders.... right turn out of the station....wait for light to make a left turn onto Eglinton...wait for light to make a left turn onto Weston Rd = 7 minutes at the best of time for southbound 89 and 6 minutes for northbound.

I do not class this as a minor detour. Far better off having riders doing an walking transfer for a few riders than inconvenient for the bulk of the riders on the bus.

Same for 989.

Need to see real data on transferring at Mount Dennis and that not going to happen at least 2 months after Mount Dennis station open to see the split between GO, UPX and Crosstown to see it should live after 6-12 mounts of service.

I think reality will be rather different. We've yet to see just how the ttc plans to handle the route change and trying to take what they do now and adjust it for that seems to create inaccurate conclusions. The increased distance on the 35A (formerly 35C) Jane when Pioneer Village station opened was unnoticeable to the average rider. Buses ran at around the same headway. Increases to the service came around a year and a half after the extension if memory serves and they had nothing to do with the increased distance.  

8 hours ago, lifty4ever said:

It's negligible. It would take the exact same amount of time (both cases in best scenario to reach the platforms of the station. Even not in the best case scenario, you're taking extra, unnecessary effort. There are other routes that take as large if not larger meanders. Only in the 935's case was it deemed excessive. 

The worst would be someone to ride through the station. It’ll add 10 minutes to their trip. It’ll defiantly be faster to get off and walk across the street to catch the bus ahead.

How do you know the platform which is right under the overpass is closer than the street entrance? I’m pretty sure the entrance is closer to the platform than that bus terminal way out there. Making the bus terminal connection the extra effort.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, raptorjays said:

Wow.. it looks like the province is trying to ignore the problems of the Eglinton Crosstown and try to shift attention to the west extension instead..

So does it mean the main line won’t open until the west extension is completed? 

This doesn't bode well for the Ontario Line...

Insauga reported on the TBMs reaching their halfway point: Tunnel digging for huge light rail project in Mississauga passes halfway mark (this project has its launching point in Mississauga with the end next to Renforth station which marginally makes it a Mississauga story).  My guess is if there are any delays in this section, the Ford government will announce the start of the third segment into Pearson as a distraction.  How long can the infrastructure, at least on the surface portions of the route remain untouched (by the elements or by things like graffiti) while waiting for the line to open?  Or is Metolinx hoping to have all of the bugs worked out to open this line concurrently with the Finch West LRT for a huge photo op?  I don't know what kind of a legacy project the Eglinton Line will be if it becomes synonymous with delays.  Any problems after opening like what Ottawa is facing with their LRT will only make matters worse. 

19 hours ago, Gil said:

This doesn't bode well for the Ontario Line...

Insauga reported on the TBMs reaching their halfway point: Tunnel digging for huge light rail project in Mississauga passes halfway mark (this project has its launching point in Mississauga with the end next to Renforth station which marginally makes it a Mississauga story).  My guess is if there are any delays in this section, the Ford government will announce the start of the third segment into Pearson as a distraction.  How long can the infrastructure, at least on the surface portions of the route remain untouched (by the elements or by things like graffiti) while waiting for the line to open?  Or is Metolinx hoping to have all of the bugs worked out to open this line concurrently with the Finch West LRT for a huge photo op?  I don't know what kind of a legacy project the Eglinton Line will be if it becomes synonymous with delays.  Any problems after opening like what Ottawa is facing with their LRT will only make matters worse. 

The problem is the provincial government always blame the previous government even though they’ve been governing for 5 years.

Any problems occured after they started to govern is mostly their problem. However, they are deflecting the blame towards the previous Liberals and they act like they have ZERO responsibility over that

Fuck Doug Ford and his cocksuckers

8 hours ago, raptorjays said:

The problem is the provincial government always blame the previous government even though they’ve been governing for 5 years.

Any problems occured after they started to govern is mostly their problem. However, they are deflecting the blame towards the previous Liberals and they act like they have ZERO responsibility over that

And the next government after Ford will do the same, and the next, and the next...twas ever thus.

8 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

It's funny that this government is a total dumbass when answering questions. It's like they are mentally disabled by answering something completely different. IQ of ZERO

They know damn well what the answer is, and so do we. They just don’t want to be caught on tape saying it for posterity.