Eglinton Crosstown line

21 hours ago, Orion V said:

Might as well wait for Line 6 and do a double opening while closing Line 3 at the same time.

If Line 6 winds up opening before Line 5 will they need to renumber them?  (Not sure if I'm being sarcastic here!)  Or will Metrolinx manufacture a delay to ensure they are opened sequentially seeing as all the signage has essentially been finalized?

1 minute ago, Gil said:

If Line 6 winds up opening before Line 5 will they need to renumber them?  (Not sure if I'm being sarcastic here!)  Or will Metrolinx manufacture a delay to ensure they are opened sequentially seeing as all the signage has essentially been finalized?

no way theyll renumber regardless of timing. the marketing is all there and as youve said the signage... dates dont affect the designations

1 hour ago, Gil said:

Won’t be any point. We won’t have a Line 3 for a few years, either. Presumably that will be assigned to the Ontario Line when it opens.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 2044 said:

Won’t be any point. We won’t have a Line 3 for a few years, either. Presumably that will be assigned to the Ontario Line when it opens.

Let's hope they will reuse Line 3 for the Ontario Line unlike STM where they just skipped it with its spiritual successor REM not having a Line number.

27 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Let's hope they will reuse Line 3 for the Ontario Line unlike STM where they just skipped it with its spiritual successor REM not having a Line number.

TTC’s design team seems to indicate that’s the plan. But who know, the Province might make their own decision.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Shaun said:

According to this blogTO article, these TBM's have been digging since spring and have made almost 1.5km of tunneling progress. 

Thats not a lot of progress for 6 months of work. 

https://www.blogto.com/city/2022/10/crosstown-extension-makes-swift-progress-toronto-waits-first-phase-open/

1582m + 865m = 2445m or almost 2.5km not too bad.   Total tunnel length for each tunnel is 5.4km so they are done almost 25% of the tunnel.  If this pace continues tunnels will be done by the end of 2024.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mike said:

1582m + 865m = 2445m or almost 2.5km not too bad.   Total tunnel length for each tunnel is 5.4km so they are done almost 25% of the tunnel.  If this pace continues tunnels will be done by the end of 2024.

That's about 10m per day. Really? That's considered good?

37 minutes ago, Shaun said:

That's about 10m per day. Really? That's considered good?

Have you ever thought to do the very slightest bit of research before vomiting out another of your hot takes?

15m/day is considered good progress. TBMs generally start out slow, and then improve as everyone gets uses to their operation, meaning that the average speed starts out slow, and then builds up as they complete their work. So to have an average of 10m/day so early on is quite good, yes.

Dan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 months later...
41 minutes ago, Wayside Observer said:

There's no 'credible plan' to complete the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, confidential documents say

Well, I guess that does explain why Metrolinx hasn't been forthcoming with a revised opening date.  If they themselves don't have one, they can't provide one.

Especially when it has gone over budget by $1 billion dollars so far. To a total of $12.81 billion dollars and counting.

Along with one of the companies in the consortium in financial trouble. It is going to be an uphill battle to maintain progress and budget without more issues. Metrolinx really handling the situation poorly and trying to avoid the true state of the situation. 

What you mean they are clueless. They were on their high horse silently calling the TTC stupid and they have a better way to deliver these projects. They took the LRT planning off the TTC engineer's hands cause they knew better. Look the the Relief became Ontario Line. ML is the "expert" with no actual experience of opening a subway line.

Cities who have subways already don't take 12+ years to build one line. 

Maybe a year ago or so, one of my friends asked if Metrolinx has ever opened a new line.

I almost said no, that what they're operating now is all inherited from Go Transit, but then I remembered UP Express.  Even that's a bunch of station renovations plus a short stub off an existing railway line plus an order of DMU cars to run the service with, so how much of a new line is it really?  And despite that, it's still been a debacle that Steve Munro's covered extensively.

12 hours ago, T3G said:

Phew, I'm glad the fate of our upcoming transit expansion projects doesn't also lay in the hands of these bozos.

Oh...

I'm dreading the time when the Eglinton east LRT extension starts, east of Kennedy, then on Kingston and Morningside. But with the Ontario Line and Scarborough Subway extension that probably won't start for a decade. I honestly may have to move out of here by then.

50 minutes ago, MK78 said:

I'm dreading the time when the Eglinton east LRT extension starts, east of Kennedy, then on Kingston and Morningside. But with the Ontario Line and Scarborough Subway extension that probably won't start for a decade. I honestly may have to move out of here by then.

Dont worry, it's not happening anytime soon. The city has no funding for it, and as long as John Tory is mayor nothing will change on that front.

The Waterfront East LRT is ahead of it in priority, so it's supposed to get built first. So as long as you dont see construction on the Waterfront line, you'll never have to worry about the Eglinton East line.

4 hours ago, MK78 said:

Eglinton East LRT will never be built, the BRT Lite they have going on is mildly superior as concluded by the TTC in a report.

52 minutes ago, MRD10 said:

Eglinton East LRT will never be built, the BRT Lite they have going on is mildly superior as concluded by the TTC in a report.

Good to hear. The bus lane priority is a little bit of a pain in the ass at times, but still better than enduring 10 years of construction.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Wayside Observer said:

There's no 'credible plan' to complete the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, confidential documents say

Well, I guess that does explain why Metrolinx hasn't been forthcoming with a revised opening date.  If they themselves don't have one, they can't provide one.

What a joke. Here we are, parts of the line looking near completion after over a decade of construction, and still, no end in sight. Well, it's no wonder why nobody takes Metrolinx seriously...

3 hours ago, MK78 said:

Good to hear. The bus lane priority is a little bit of a pain in the ass at times, but still better than enduring 10 years of construction.

I know Metrolinx is a textbook example of incompetence, but surely even in their wildest dreams an overground tram line should not take 10 years to build.

Substantial construction work on Finch West began only in quarter 2 of 2019. That being said, utilities relocation began in 2016, and the contract to build the line itself wasn't awarded for another 2 years afterwards, so take away from that what you will.

1 hour ago, T3G said:

Substantial construction work on Finch West began only in quarter 2 of 2019. That being said, utilities relocation began in 2016, and the contract to build the line itself wasn't awarded for another 2 years afterwards, so take away from that what you will.

It is so surprising how Finch West LRT is progressing so rapidly and efficiently! I know Metrolinx would never allow this, but Finch West could very well be ready and open before Crosstown!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MRD10 said:

It is so surprising how Finch West LRT is progressing so rapidly and efficiently! I know Metrolinx would never allow this, but Finch West could very well be ready and open before Crosstown!

It shouldn't be too surprising. The above-ground portion of the Eglinton Crosstown line seems to be fully complete (and has been for a while) despite starting construction well after the tunnelling started, despite both sections being built by the same (apparently incompetent) companies.

Surface operation is so much less complicated to construct compared to underground or even elevated structures; therefore, it's both faster and cheaper to build. That's the whole reason why the Eglinton West extension was supposed to be above-ground, where there was room to accommodate it within the existing corridor.

• Like 2

Just to let you guys know...line5 eglinton LRT is scheduled to open in July 2023, training of operators is scheduled to start for Jan 2023, but there hasn't been any notices of such. They have 150 ops on the transfer list, but some of them have retired or are retiring before then. They want 55 more ops for the line. Vacation sign up for the line has already occurred. Basically it's a big cluster fuck right now.

TTC rail instructors have already gotten their training for the most part, but they didn't have full access to the line since Metrolinx didn't allow them in the central section (still considered a mining/construction operation).

• Like 1