Eglinton Crosstown line

8 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

That would work in a perfect world and only one side gets priority as you said. I am having doubts it will work in TO. On King Street daily, you'll find cars on the left lane waiting to go straight while the should only be on the right lane making a right. 

I wrote a scenario in which if there were two streetcars on both sides.

26 minutes ago, nfitz said:

You mean run streetcars less frequently. TTC is trying to do that with the longer streetcars - for example with today's conversion of 501 (from Humber to Neville) to Flexity, frequency drops from every 4.25 minutes to every 6.5 minutes in AM peak. However 510 and 512 are running every 4 minutes at peak with the longer cars already. And on the central section of the King they run every 2.6 minutes.

How would TTC slowing down the schedule help - that would result in more people in each car. And if you do that it increases the dwell time at each stop, with people struggling to get in and out, with many being left behind.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Less frequency of service.

Also not related, but I think the transit signal for EB Fleet to turn onto Bathurst should be programmed in case if there's a 511 trying to turn left while a 509 is stuck behind it. Maybe if there wasn't a WB 509 car that also needs to clear the intersection then both arrows can light up

Screenshot_2019-06-23-12-06-07-1.png

34 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Less frequency of service.

How would TTC streetcar service would improve if it was less frequent?

Sure, it's easy to avoid bunching if you don't run a frequent service - like the Ion streetcar. But that's achieved by having low demand.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

How would TTC streetcar service would improve if it was less frequent?

At the same time, how could TTC service improve if it was more frequent. In a heavy crowd, most people would still pile up on the first car and the second car would usually be right behind and most likely empty.

I'm not saying that by with less frequency it would improve service overall, I just mentioned how bunching could be avoided, and maybe route management might be easier. Then again, passenger volume is a factor.

1 hour ago, nfitz said:

Sure, it's easy to avoid bunching if you don't run a frequent service - like the Ion streetcar. But that's achieved by having low demand.

ION started operations 3 days ago. We can't really assume that it has low demand since it opened the day before the weekend. I would say it may run more frequently during rush hour if it does generate more demand.

El Paso runs their PCC's every 30 minute. There is no priority system.

Tucson Runs their 66' streetcars every 15 minutes with some priority system.

Phoenix runs 2 100' LRV every 15 minutes, with 3 on some trains at peak time and special events. It has priority system with traffic lights signs turning red with no turn.

This is what we saw and rode in May

TTC needs to have priority system that the city refused to turn on as well going to Bar Signals

• 1 month later...

One can only hope to see bar signals for any streetcar line in Toronto since its the better way to go with. 4 out of 6 USA lines plus KW we have ridden this year had bar signals.

The first block of tracks almost in place starting at O'Conner Dr going east. From what I could see yesterday, tracks in place from Mount Dennis Station to the portal.

48610420592_f1c810c913_b.jpg48610267456_37e4013f2d_b.jpg48610266591_aba7686787_b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drum118 said:

From what I could see yesterday, tracks in place from Mount Dennis Station to the portal.

I can confirm inside and up onto the bridge  from what I could see, I cannot confirm if the tracks go into the Portal or not

2 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

Do these really belong under TTC?

Good question. Though TTC will operate and they have (small) TTC logos on the cars.

Whether that be true by 2021 with proposed uploads ... who knows. Probably a good place-holder.

On 8/28/2019 at 6:21 PM, Ed T. said:

Do these really belong under TTC?

All the cars for Toronto Finch & Crosstown, Hurontario and Hamilton lines are own by Metrolinx. TTC will operating Toronto cars,  Transdev For Hurontario and X for Hamilton.

• Thanks 1

On 8/28/2019 at 10:02 PM, Orion V said:

Where else would they go? GO Transit (which is now Metrolinx)? lol

The question was real, not rhetorical.

YRT doesn't own its buses, but the owners/operators of the buses are contractors to YRT, all the buses are in YRT livery, etc.

Here, Metrolinx owns the physical plant, and TTC are the contracted operators. The TTC livery is not strong here. So who'se fleet is it?

I suspect in the end it will be under Metrolinx, or maybe Douglinx, or whatever happens in the next few years.

1 hour ago, Ed T. said:

The question was real, not rhetorical.

YRT doesn't own its buses, but the owners/operators of the buses are contractors to YRT, all the buses are in YRT livery, etc.

YRT absolutely owns its own buses. That's why they're able to be transferred from contractor to contractor upon the completion of a contract.

Dan

1 minute ago, smallspy said:

YRT absolutely owns its own buses. That's why they're able to be transferred from contractor to contractor upon the completion of a contract.

Oops! Well, one way to learn a correct fact is to post the wrong one on the internets.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
Just now, Gil said:

It's a BlogTO story, but other media have reported it as well.  Doug Ford has thrown in some additional money to get the "subway" from Renforth Station to Pearson's new transit hub.  How far along in the process are they in getting it from Mount Dennis to Renforth first?

It's GTAA, not Doug, who ponied up the cash, when I read that article.

31 minutes ago, Ed T. said:

It's GTAA, not Doug, who ponied up the cash, when I read that article.

I probably should have read the article, but friend who was at the press conference (for a completely different reason) told me that Ford seemed to be taking the credit for it.  Ford is calling it a subway extension in his tweet (and the media are going with it; don't know if the press release was worded that way), so he's already misrepresented the truth.

5 hours ago, Gil said:

I probably should have read the article, but friend who was at the press conference (for a completely different reason) told me that Ford seemed to be taking the credit for it.  Ford is calling it a subway extension in his tweet (and the media are going with it; don't know if the press release was worded that way), so he's already misrepresented the truth.

In his defense, he did committed to paying for the Mt Dennis to Renforth stretch while Wynne refused to spend a single penny and let TO pay for it. This made a subway alignment more supportable when cash is available vs being funded from the empty city pot. As much as we dislike Ford, this project is a small step closer to being built.

Some can argue that the city had some initial planning and EA is completed but without funds (aside from some SmartTrack funds from the feds), that is going nowhere.

13 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

In his defense, he did committed to paying for the Mt Dennis to Renforth stretch while Wynne refused to spend a single penny and let TO pay for it. This made a subway alignment more supportable when cash is available vs being funded from the empty city pot. As much as we dislike Ford, this project is a small step closer to being built.

That ignores that total Provincial spending under Ford is down - this is being done by stretching out the timeframe on already committed funding, such as deferring the Scarborough Extension and Sheppard East LRT by years, and all but cancelling the province's commitment to SmartTrack and new stations.

21 hours ago, nfitz said:

That ignores that total Provincial spending under Ford is down - this is being done by stretching out the timeframe on already committed funding, such as deferring the Scarborough Extension and Sheppard East LRT by years, and all but cancelling the province's commitment to SmartTrack and new stations.

We’ve seen this movie before.

Remember how Dalton McGuinty yanked $4 billion out of Transit City close to the start and said that it would come later in a second phase, then slowed down the rate of spending and build on the part that remained funded?   Remember the announcements that David Miller recorded and had playing on the PA system in the subway stations that started off with “Transit City was our plan to...” in response to this?

I guess paying big money to cancel windmills is the followup to the paying big money to cancel natural gas fired power plants, so that movie’s got a sequel too.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.   Ontariariariariario, a place too bland, a place too slow!

1 hour ago, Wayside Observer said:

We’ve seen this movie before.

Remember how Dalton McGuinty yanked $4 billion out of Transit City close to the start and said that it would come later in a second phase, then slowed down the rate of spending and build on the part that remained funded?   Remember the announcements that David Miller recorded and had playing on the PA system in the subway stations that started off with “Transit City was our plan to...” in response to this?

I guess paying big money to cancel windmills is the followup to the paying big money to cancel natural gas fired power plants, so that movie’s got a sequel too.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.   Ontariariariariario, a place too bland, a place too slow!

Time and time again. You mention the Liberals and PCs. The NDP did the same too, delaying and extending timeframes on the Sheppard and Eglinton and University extension subway lines to the point, that very little had been done, and were easy to cancel by the next government. Way before that the Miller government quickly cancelled lines that the Davis government had been pushing for when they came to power.

Quite frankly, it's been a whole lot of this since Davis left office. Or perhaps longer, if you want to revisit the various deferments of the Queen subway line in the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s ... though at least they were building something at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...