Eglinton Crosstown line

24 minutes ago, Streety McCarface said:

Yeah, the stops are positioned way too close to each other.

I mean, seriously. Why do we need a stop at Lebovic and Ionview? Also, Victoria Park and Pharmacy. Considering how close the two streets are to each other, you should only have a station for ONE of them... but no. You get a stop at Victoria Park AND Pharmacy... ON THE SAME LINE.

6 minutes ago, Canadian Markiplier said:

I mean, seriously. Why do we need a stop at Lebovic and Ionview? Also, Victoria Park and Pharmacy. Considering how close the two streets are to each other, you should only have a station for ONE of them... but no. You get a stop at Victoria Park AND Pharmacy... ON THE SAME LINE.

Have you been to Lebovic and Ionview numerous time?  I bet you haven't as lots of people wait for buses at Lebovic not to menion Eglinton bus drivers take 34 to go to Kennedy.  As for Ionview, lots of people get off there to go one of the apartments nearby.

1 hour ago, leylandvictory2 said:

Have you been to Lebovic and Ionview numerous time?  I bet you haven't as lots of people wait for buses at Lebovic not to menion Eglinton bus drivers take 34 to go to Kennedy.  As for Ionview, lots of people get off there to go one of the apartments nearby.

Exactly. They are busy stops,  and if you didn't have them, you'd need a surface bus all the way to Kennedy. I've seen Pharmacy, Lebovic and Ionview stops having more people waiting than Victoria Park and Warden sometimes.

33 minutes ago, patricks said:

Exactly. They are busy stops,  and if you didn't have them, you'd need a surface bus all the way to Kennedy. I've seen Pharmacy, Lebovic and Ionview stops having more people waiting than Victoria Park and Warden sometimes.

Yes, but my problem is how close to each other they are.

11 hours ago, Canadian Markiplier said:

Yes, but my problem is how close to each other they are.

They aren't that close. And as Patricks correctly pointed out, if you take out the mid-block stops a paralleling local bus will need to be retained, just like on the underground section. That costs money, too.

Besides, the surface stops will all be request stops - if no one needs to use it the car will just keep going.

Dan

18 minutes ago, smallspy said:

Besides, the surface stops will all be request stops - if no one needs to use it the car will just keep going.

Dan

Have we gotten a confirmation on this? The last time TTC mention it, they were investigating if the option is available for the Russell Hill stop on the western extension.

1 hour ago, skyfirenet said:

Why? There are times when I wish the subway network had the ability to skip stations when no one was getting on or off.

Because only the bus and streetcars should be allowed to do that. Also, the Scarborough stations on the CSR (Cheap Subway Replacement aka LRT) look like bus shelters and not actual stations.

54 minutes ago, Canadian Markiplier said:

Because only the bus and streetcars should be allowed to do that.

Also, the Scarborough stations on the CSR (Cheap Subway Replacement aka LRT) look like bus shelters and not actual stations.

So you would rather this line stop at every stop when nobody is getting on or off at all, causing you to be later to where you are going? Thats not how an lrt line works.

And just because a station doesnt look like an actual station, doesnt mean its not an actual station.

2 hours ago, Canadian Markiplier said:

I swear if this is all true, then it should be a seperate streetcar line and NOT on the official subway map.

You realize its called the subway\RT map, right. With your logic, we should remove line 3 from the map as well.

3 minutes ago, H4 5600 said:

So you would rather this line stop at every stop when nobody is getting on or off at all, causing you to be later to where you are going? Thats not how an lrt line works.

And just because a station doesnt look like an actual station, doesnt mean its not an actual station.

You realize its called the subway\RT map, right. With your logic, we should remove line 3 from the map as well.

Line 3 isn't an LRT. And I don't want to call it the Subway/RT/LRT map. That's a mouthful.

6 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Have we gotten a confirmation on this? The last time TTC mention it, they were investigating if the option is available for the Russell Hill stop on the western extension.

Every time I've spoken to someone at the TTC about any of the LRT lines, they've always indicated that the surface stops will be request stops. With the possible exception of switches, they will treat the operation of the lines on the surface sections like they do the the existing PROWs on St. Clair, Spadina, Queens Quay, Fleet, Cherry and The Queensway.

Dan

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

With the possible exception of switches, they will treat the operation of the lines on the surface sections like they do the the existing PROWs on St. Clair, Spadina, Queens Quay, Fleet, Cherry and The Queensway.

Great here we go, everyone get ready for the slow 5 km/h crawl through intersections on a "rapid transit line".

5 minutes ago, lip said:

Great here we go, everyone get ready for the slow 5 km/h crawl through intersections on a "rapid transit line".

This is why the TTC shouldn't operate the LRT lines at all. The LRTs are to use modern switches like the rest of the world and the subway does. I don't see why there would be a limitation. If the TTC is really concern with cars turning in front of the trains, they should consider flashing train incoming or no left turn signs when trains are coming. They just need something to get people aware.

I suggest we all email TTC with WTF if it really happens. For stop requests on the surface stops, I'll believe when I see those buttons on the Metrolinx LRV. I can't imagine that nobody would want to get off at a stop along Eglinton east surface section in most hours of the day. Blowing past every stop at midnight is going to bring wide gaps and bunching.

17 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

If the TTC is really concern with cars turning in front of the trains, they should consider flashing train incoming or no left turn signs when trains are coming. They just need something to get people aware.

Ever stop to count the number of cars that ignore no left/right turn signs at intersections? You would have better results with a legal waver regarding damages and armour plating on the front of the crosstown cars.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Bombardier taking Metrolinx to court

Bombardier shifts blame for LRT delays to Metrolinx, files court injunction

STATEMENT: Metrolinx’s response to Bombardier Transportation’s motion for an injunction

TORONTO: February 10, 2017 - Metrolinx has been concerned for some time about the performance of Bombardier and their ability to deliver a quality product on time as per the scheduled 2021 opening of the Eglinton Crosstown.

We have repeatedly conveyed our disappointment to Bombardier on its progress to date and in particular that the pilot vehicle is almost two years late and has not yet been delivered.

We have been frank in sharing our reservations about their ability to deliver vehicles on time and to a level of quality we expect.

We are further disappointed that they would take this legal step considering the longstanding relationship Metrolinx has with Bombardier on a number of fronts.

Metrolinx is committed to providing residents of Toronto and the region with improved transit options. Bombardier’s focus should be on getting the all the vehicles delivered on schedule and with the quality expected, not on legal proceedings of this nature.

Metrolinx’s immediate first step is to review the application. We will not comment further at this time.

1 hour ago, drum118 said:

Bombardier taking Metrolinx to court

Bombardier shifts blame for LRT delays to Metrolinx, files court injunction

STATEMENT: Metrolinx’s response to Bombardier Transportation’s motion for an injunction

TORONTO: February 10, 2017 - Metrolinx has been concerned for some time about the performance of Bombardier and their ability to deliver a quality product on time as per the scheduled 2021 opening of the Eglinton Crosstown.

We have repeatedly conveyed our disappointment to Bombardier on its progress to date and in particular that the pilot vehicle is almost two years late and has not yet been delivered.

We have been frank in sharing our reservations about their ability to deliver vehicles on time and to a level of quality we expect.

We are further disappointed that they would take this legal step considering the longstanding relationship Metrolinx has with Bombardier on a number of fronts.

Metrolinx is committed to providing residents of Toronto and the region with improved transit options. Bombardier’s focus should be on getting the all the vehicles delivered on schedule and with the quality expected, not on legal proceedings of this nature.

Metrolinx’s immediate first step is to review the application. We will not comment further at this time.

The article says: "a test car has been ready since October 2016 but Metrolinx refuses to have it delivered". Why is that? Do they not have a place to test it yet, or is it because of the ongoing legal issues?

52 minutes ago, WMATAC40LF said:

The article says: "a test car has been ready since October 2016 but Metrolinx refuses to have it delivered". Why is that? Do they not have a place to test it yet, or is it because of the ongoing legal issues?

There isn't really a place to test it since there's no trackage built for it here, but the test unit is at Bombardier's Kingston test site for now.

4 hours ago, TechnicaProductions said:

There isn't really a place to test it since there's no trackage built for it here, but the test unit is at Bombardier's Kingston test site for now.

http://business.financialpost.com/news/transportation/bombardier-asks-court-to-stop-metrolinx-from-cancelling-770m-contract-for-182-light-rail-vehicles

This article in the Financial Post seems to indicate that Metrolinx won't have any track to test the prototype vehicle(s) on for another year or two (thats according to Bombardier). 

The test and 600km burn in track will be between Mount Dennis and Keelesdale station. Those two stations need to be built to have the platforms completed, the bridge across Black Creek is needed as well as a power substation to supply the overhead. It's going to be very busy this year to get this test track up and running. Both of these stations should be near completion in late 2019. Although we can't ride the line till 2021, we should see trains running between these two stations in late 2019 or early 2020. They'll have to burn 600km on the entire fleet before the line opens.

Metrolinx doesn't even have a place to park the LRV right now. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

The test and 600km burn in track will be between Mount Dennis and Keelesdale station. Those two stations need to be built to have the platforms completed, the bridge across Black Creek is needed as well as a power substation to supply the overhead. It's going to be very busy this year to get this test track up and running. Both of these stations should be near completion in late 2019. Although we can't ride the line till 2021, we should see trains running between these two stations in late 2019 or early 2020. They'll have to burn 600km on the entire fleet before the line opens.

Metrolinx doesn't even have a place to park the LRV right now. 

600 km sounds like a fair burn-in distance. :P

How close is the K-W LRT to having usable sections of track?

And while it's moot now, what if Sheppard East had actually been built on schedule?

2 hours ago, Ed T. said:

600 km sounds like a fair burn-in distance. :P

How close is the K-W LRT to having usable sections of track?

And while it's moot now, what if Sheppard East had actually been built on schedule?

KW test track between Erb and Northfield has been ready for sometime. In fact, it can go over to Conestoga Mall, but work is still taking place for the Mall station. The word over a week ago that the first car was to show up on Feb 15th and its gone dead now as to when it will show up.

Burn in can be higher than 600 km with a number seeing 1,600 km or more.

If Sheppard East was built as plan, the shit would hit the fan in 2012/13 for everyone.

• Like 1