Eglinton Crosstown line

On 11/20/2016 at 7:55 PM, Xtrazsteve said:

It will be around the same time. Mid 2020s. Eg West isn't going to open till at least 2025. Scarborough subway and SmartTrack will open around the same time too.

Whatcha talking about?  Eg West is part of the Crosstown line and its opening date is 2021, unless you're talking about the extension.

Bombardier and Metrolinx would not ship a car to an under-construction city to do on-street testing, then load it back onto a flatcar and ship it to another city. All the testing that needs to be done can happen in a closed facility such as Kingston.

AFAIK the Eglinton-Crosstown line as per Metrolinx specs will be built to standard gauge, not TTC gauge; so the presence of TTC gauge track at a testing facility is not applicable.

Is there really necessary for an extensive street test with the prototype? The metrolinx cars are built for today's standards used all over the world. The new lines are built to the car's spec (which is known) oppose to the other way around. This isn't TTC's legacy cars designed for one of the most complex network in the world.

I would think the test is for the prototype's performance with the current design. Sure they need to throw it on the street and make sure everything works out but if something is not right, it would most likely be the contractor's fault for not building tracks to spec than Bombardier's fault of not building the cars correctly. The ION cars are already being assembled. The can just use that instead of the Metrolinx prototype. It will take them a few more months till the ION is ready. By then, the first cars would be too.

For Eglinton, there would be more testing to make sure the ATO system is working properly. Still, the ATO system is already employed in many cities in the world.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Is there really necessary for an extensive street test with the prototype? The metrolinx cars are built for today's standards used all over the world. The new lines are built to the car's spec (which is known) oppose to the other way around. This isn't TTC's legacy cars designed for one of the most complex network in the world.

I would think the test is for the prototype's performance with the current design. Sure they need to throw it on the street and make sure everything works out but if something is not right, it would most likely be the contractor's fault for not building tracks to spec than Bombardier's fault of not building the cars correctly. The ION cars are already being assembled. The can just use that instead of the Metrolinx prototype. It will take them a few more months till the ION is ready. By then, the first cars would be too.

For Eglinton, there would be more testing to make sure the ATO system is working properly. Still, the ATO system is already employed in many cities in the world.

Remember, this is Ontario we are talking about. Better safe than sorry. 

3 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Are these any wider than the Outlooks on the streetcars,  they are pretty crammed  even on spadina, I can't imagine riding on Eglinton

The LRVs can be coupled together to form 3 car trains. However, Eglinton, like Sheppard and Downtown is still growing. We'll see whether the investment pays off once it's complete. 

9 minutes ago, 110B West Pickering said:

Are these any wider than the Outlooks on the streetcars,  they are pretty crammed  even on spadina, I can't imagine riding on Eglinton

Metrolinx's LRV's are 2.65 m wide compared to 2.54 m for TTC's LRV's. The difference is trivial. The big capacity difference comes from the fact that the Metrolinx model is capable of MU operation, unlike TTC's.

8 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

the one with the blue is for iON - the grey one is the prototype I do believe

Also a bit of a stupid question, will the Freedom's for the crosstown and finch be coloured in Red for TTC, seeing as TTC is adopting these as part of their rapid transit network,  or will they be coloured in green for Metrolinx?

It currently seems that for the Crosstown, they will have a mostly green livery.

12 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

are the Flexities for the Finch and the Crosstown going to be used with Automatic Train Control? or is it still manual operation?

The Finch line will not use ATO, nor will the on-street sections of Eglinton.

Dan

• Like 1

On November 29, 2016 at 10:39 AM, nfitz said:

And yet the prototype is grey.

Actually, if you look at the mockup all that's missing on the pilot is the green stripe. In any case, I believe the Crosstown or Finch LRT account tweeted a few months ago that branding is being finalised.

19 hours ago, 110B West Pickering said:

are the Flexities for the Finch and the Crosstown going to be used with Automatic Train Control? or is it still manual operation?

Most of the Metrolinx docs I've seen say the Crosstown will use Bombardier CBTC and cab signals in the tunnel, they don't talk about full ATO.

2 hours ago, IRT_BMT_IND said:

Most of the Metrolinx docs I've seen say the Crosstown will use Bombardier CBTC and cab signals in the tunnel, they don't talk about full ATO.

Bombardier CITYFLO 650 system is ATO. The consortium Crosslinx picked Bombardier for this system.

http://www.bombardier.com/en/transportation/products-services/rail-control-solutions/mass-transit-solutions/cityflo-650.html

http://www.bombardier.com/en/media/newsList/details.bt-20151008-bombardiers-rail-control-division-further-expands-no.bombardiercom.html

The system is capable of fully automated without anyone in the cab,