Eglinton Crosstown line

But that trestle has only seen a small usuage in recent year, such as the 2007 Christmas Train. Plus they would have to reinstall the switch. They could use that trestle, and they could re-establish Leaside station as a passenger station.

I...don't understand what you're getting at here about the trestle bridge.

If GO were to buy and start running trains on the line, reinstalling a switch would be no big deal. Stations would have to be constructed.

I...don't understand what you're getting at here about the trestle bridge.

If GO were to buy and start running trains on the line, reinstalling a switch would be no big deal. Stations would have to be constructed.

I feel that they should put the trestle to use again.

• 1 year later...

So $8.4-billion has been set aside to build this line, but it will now run underground from Black Creek to Kennedy and then follow the existing SRT line to Scarborough Centre. The SRT will be converted to LRT. Is the $8.4-billion being used to fund this project coming from the funding originally alocated to Transit City?

Has Anyone Realized that since the early 90s The City of Toronto has grown so much and traffic has increased so much that no new Municipal expressways have been built. If they were smart enough they would Rebuild Eglinton into an expressway from black Creek and depress it into the ground with the LRT in the middle just like the Allen all the way to Martin Grove >> cars to the 401 and the LRT to the airport. But then you all know that would be too easy!

So $8.4-billion has been set aside to build this line, but it will now run underground from Black Creek to Kennedy and then follow the existing SRT line to Scarborough Centre. The SRT will be converted to LRT. Is the $8.4-billion being used to fund this project coming from the funding originally alocated to Transit City?

Yes. The funds come from the Finch West/Sheppard LRTs.

Has Anyone Realized that since the early 90s The City of Toronto has grown so much and traffic has increased so much that no new Municipal expressways have been built. If they were smart enough they would Rebuild Eglinton into an expressway from black Creek and depress it into the ground with the LRT in the middle just like the Allen all the way to Martin Grove >> cars to the 401 and the LRT to the airport. But then you all know that would be too easy!

There was a plan for expressways, but most of them were cancelled. What would Eglinton being an expressway from Black Creek to Martin Grove solve? You'd be getting rid of an arterial local east-west road with few alternatives for people that live in the area.

Good job, we still dont have a link to the airport, less KM"s for more money. Good job guys.

This is what the minority who voted for Ford wanted. And they got it while, screwing everyone else over in Etobicoke.

They're expanding a subway that should have been an LRT... Yay.

The link below was posted in the TR thread but I posted it here because my question relates to it. In the video clip McGuinty says that they will be ordering 130 LRTs for the Eglinton Crosstown Line. Didn't Metrolinx already order 186 LRVs for delivery between 2013-2020 for the Sheppard, Finch and Eglinton lines? I'm assuming they reduced the order to 130 or will they use the other 56 LRVs on other LRT projects in the GTA (Mississauga, Waterloo, Hamilton)?

Ontario And Toronto Moving Forward On Public Transit

Since the line is getting merged with the Scarborough RT (they're using the blue for the entire route) what are we going to call it? Eglinton-Scarborough-Crosstown (ESC?!)? Doesn't Eglinton by default imply Crosstown? Once completed out to Pearson it will have crossed through all 6 former municipalities. How about Eglinton-Scarborough LRT? Personally, I kinda like what the Toronto Star has been doing, whether intentionally or not, they (along with their subsidiary Metro News) have been referring to it as the Eglinton Crosstown METRO. Crosstown aside, I think using the term Metro will help to differentiate the line from both subway and streetcar service. In Los Angeles the term Metro is used for all of the rail-based transit service including the two heavy rail subway lines.

As first reported at thestar.com, Premier Dalton McGuinty is to announce Thursday that the province will spend $8.2 billion on the new 20-km Eglinton Crosstown Metro. It would run underground all the way from Black Creek to Kennedy station and continue above ground along the existing Scarborough Rapid Transit route, which would be converted to the same LRT technology...

I'd just call it the Eglinton Line and that's what it'll probably be commonly referred to as.

Eglinton? Eglinton-Scarborough? The Scarborough RT had that RT appendage. Different technology. If they want to get Transit City revived in the future perhaps making a simple superficial differentiation between streetcars and LRTs would help gain some traction amongst the general public.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't seem to find the Don Mills Transit City/LRT thread, but I had a thought somewhat related to the Eglinton Line. Since they are using LRT here and had originally planned to have the Don Mills line as LRT, would it be feasible to build the DRL using the same technology? It'd make use of the surplus vehicles (assuming we could find a place to store them until then) or ensure that the Eglinton Line doesn't suffer the same fate as the Scarborough RT with an orphanned line cut off technologically from the rest of the network. Run south from Eglinton to Pape station, through downtown and end up at Dundas West station. If you ran it all the way back to Eglinton you'd be able to immediately access the Black Creek yard.

The demands on the DRL may put it at the higher capacity range of LRTs (has anyone actually tried to calculate what the demand would be? You'd have to peg down the route a little more though) but it would be a way of getting it built faster than a subway if they could avoid extensive tunnelling. Mayor Ford should either be out of office or over his phobia of surface running by the time this gets off the ground. Piggybacking along (or above?) a railway corridor could be one option.

I also have a question related to LRT's.

The current street cars we have are tanks, and even can survive a serious collision with a Cement truck (although the unit was extremely damaged).

Do the new LRT cars have a similar buffer strength built in? I'm just worried about T Bone collisions at intersections at high speed.

The new cars will be stronger.

Dan

If that's the case then I'd like to see what I call the Amsterdam rules. From what I've read/heard streetcars there have absolute right of way. If something's in their way (pedestrian, cyclist, vehicle) it'll ring it's bell/horn once and then plow on through with the obstructor being penalized (similar to treating them as acutal trains). Maybe if we installed some re-inforced cow-catchers that'd limit the amount of damage to the streetcar.

• 3 weeks later...
If that's the case then I'd like to see what I call the Amsterdam rules. From what I've read/heard streetcars there have absolute right of way. If something's in their way (pedestrian, cyclist, vehicle) it'll ring it's bell/horn once and then plow on through with the obstructor being penalized (similar to treating them as acutal trains). Maybe if we installed some re-inforced cow-catchers that'd limit the amount of damage to the streetcar.

Wow. Cow catchers? Blast from the past. To hell with any pedestrian, cyclist, vehicle, etc,. as we wouldn't want that shiny new streetcar to possibly get a scratch or dent, after all it is only metal that can be repaired, whereas,... Penalized? Is that the new buzzword for run over, knocked into the next time zone or just flattened?

• 4 weeks later...
- not surprised Ellesmere isn't on that preliminary list

I am surprised that Leslie is on the list. With the unresolved issue of how to cross the Don and the almost zero possibility of development around the station, I figured that it would be a natural candidate to be cut from the station list.

I have a feeling that Leslie station is there only to act as an endpoint terminal for the 51 and 54.

Still, that's going to be an expensive terminal for just two bus routes if they decide to tunnel under the Don (for some reason). That's why I figured the fate of Leslie wouldn't be decided until they figure out how to cross the Don and why I'm surprised it's on a preliminary map.

Still, that's going to be an expensive terminal for just two bus routes if they decide to tunnel under the Don (for some reason). That's why I figured the fate of Leslie wouldn't be decided until they figure out how to cross the Don and why I'm surprised it's on a preliminary map.

Future proofing.

Plans still exist somewhere to bridge Leslie over the Don. Whether they come to fruition is a different matter, but they do exist.