Strange Weather

Hybrid0920

Well we've been having some weird weather lately. I thought I'd create this so people can express what they saw (took photographs of) and post the pics/comments here. You can post if your city had bad weather, when. I will start..

Well today there was a storm that came by, somewhat missing us. I go onto my balcony and neighbours are taking pixx of these amazing clouds. I look over to the (maybe 4) or 5 buildings across the road and on other streets (I am on the 18th floor, facing south) and all I see is continous camera flashes of 10-15 people taking pics!! I was like ohh no, tornado?!?!?! But heres my pics of today.

Chris

So what happened? Lots of wind and rain? Or just ominous looking clouds that came and went?

We've (in Edmonton) had lots of REALLY HOT days, and then today, almost without warning, it was cold, rainy, and a bit windy. A nice relief from that really hot tiring weather. If it's 29 outside, it's 39 inside a D40LF :lol:-_-

So what happened? Lots of wind and rain? Or just ominous looking clouds that came and went?

Well when I was downtown there werent as dark clouds, but it was thundering and lightening. As soon as I got home, I saw the dark ones coming in. Then it started to pour for about 5-10 minutes, with the rain missing us, I saw it get bad in the East of Hamilton. We got lucky. :P The worst rain I ever saw was a few weeks ago, where my street flooded, and water was rushing down John Street which is a nice steep hill.

We've (in Edmonton) had lots of REALLY HOT days, and then today, almost without warning, it was cold, rainy, and a bit windy. A nice relief from that really hot tiring weather. If it's 29 outside, it's 39 inside a D40LF :lol:-_-

So saying the bus is 10X hotter because of no A/C?

Not ten times hotter, but about 10 degrees hotter. No A/C here, except on the 6 hybrids, four of which at any given time are usually shopped :lol:

When it gets hot here, it gets very hot. Usually for only a few weeks out of the year, not enough to install A/C in the whole fleet. However, the new LRT cars have A/C -_-

Not ten times hotter, but about 10 degrees hotter. No A/C here, except on the 6 hybrids, four of which at any given time are usually shopped :lol:

When it gets hot here, it gets very hot. Usually for only a few weeks out of the year, not enough to install A/C in the whole fleet. However, the new LRT cars have A/C :P

I thank god HSR has A/C, even if it is only hot for a few weeks, they should all be manufactured with A/C no matter what. Does ETS pay less for A/C not to be mandatory? -_-

Well we've been having some weird weather lately. I thought I'd create this so people can express what they saw (took photographs of) and post the pics/comments here. You can post if your city had bad weather, when. I will start..

Well today there was a storm that came by, somewhat missing us. I go onto my balcony and neighbours are taking pixx of these amazing clouds. I look over to the (maybe 4) or 5 buildings across the road and on other streets (I am on the 18th floor, facing south) and all I see is continous camera flashes of 10-15 people taking pics!! I was like ohh no, tornado?!?!?! But heres my pics of today.

Chris

I could see the weather from my house, but not far enough to get a good shot. Today I saw lightning from the clouds (lightning's hard to see during the daytime 'cuz the sky wasn't dark enough) from the storm that dumped 10mm of rain on top of the total rainfall for the month of July for Toronto breaking the 1980 record which now stands @ 190.8mm (barring anymore precip).

Edited by 38 Highland Creek

Chris

That specific storm I took a chance on while taking a walk last night.

At around, oh, 7 or so, I saw a cloud forming in the northwest. I have a great eye for seeing storms developing so I knew what was coming. Sure enough, by 8pm, some rain fell. By 8:15, it became a full-fledged thunderstorm. That storm went southeast and took out Hamilton/Stoney Creek. Chris, maybe that's the storm that you were referring to.

That specific storm I took a chance on while taking a walk last night.

At around, oh, 7 or so, I saw a cloud forming in the northwest. I have a great eye for seeing storms developing so I knew what was coming. Sure enough, by 8pm, some rain fell. By 8:15, it became a full-fledged thunderstorm. That storm went southeast and took out Hamilton/Stoney Creek. Chris, maybe that's the storm that you were referring to.

Yes I was thinking of that one, which us downtowners didn't get much of. Thankkk god! :( I noticed it getting a lot darker down near Stoney Creek, and trees were no longer visible, instantly I knew they were hit HARD!

Chris

Here's something strange for ya...

Even though it has been raining pretty much everyday in the month of July in Ottawa, it's actually been a dryer-than-normal July.

I guess it's because some of the precipitation has been very light, and hasn't accumulated to much.

Here's something strange for ya...

Even though it has been raining pretty much everyday in the month of July in Ottawa, it's actually been a dryer-than-normal July.

I guess it's because some of the precipitation has been very light, and hasn't accumulated to much.

Here we haven't been having light rain, we've had MAJOR downpours of which flooded my street twice in July. (never saw it flooded *ONCE* before that.) And in the newspaper, it says we've had record breaking amounts of rain. But in yesterday's Spec, they say August is to be really really dry. Said to feel like one of the hottest Augusts.

Well today I was riding my bike from Hamilton to Burlington and after I crossed the Canal Lift Bridge it started to rain, mind you there were pretty gruesome looking clouds on the way, so I was expecting it! But seconds later it starts HAILING. And the it was really windy, branches breaking off, leaves blowing everywhere and hail chunks flying right into my face. The biggest piece I saw was about the size of 1 1/2 - 2 marbles. But it hurt me so badly, I had to ride to a random persons house, and wait on their porch, where I shot a video. I am currently uploading it so it'll be posted soon. And I got some pics today of the clouds/hail/crazy weather.

Theres the video:

Well today I was riding my bike from Hamilton to Burlington and after I crossed the Canal Lift Bridge it started to rain, mind you there were pretty gruesome looking clouds on the way, so I was expecting it! But seconds later it starts HAILING. And the it was really windy, branches breaking off, leaves blowing everywhere and hail chunks flying right into my face. The biggest piece I saw was about the size of 1 1/2 - 2 marbles. But it hurt me so badly, I had to ride to a random persons house, and wait on their porch, where I shot a video. I am currently uploading it so it'll be posted soon. And I got some pics today of the clouds/hail/crazy weather.

Theres the video:

When I was going to/from the Mapleview Centre today, I was keeping tabs of that cell which was building around the northeast from Burlington. I thought it would just peter itself out as it head over the lake. Well, it built itself up with other clouds/cells to its north. It became a super-cell of sorts and the hail, Chris? That may have been the same storm which brought hail to Oakville. I was on my way home at around 4:30 or so and when looking to the south over the lake, yep, the storm was there. You must've got yourself caught in it!

And is it just me or are these hailstones getting bigger each storm that comes this way? It definitly makes the "Day After Tomorrow" movie pretty real. <_<

Awesome pics and video. I LUV storms <_< Thanks for sharing.

Theres the video:

I was driving here in Mississauga when they storm went through. I have to say it was unnerving; it was the first time I have ever driven in heavy rain and hail. I shot a video while waiting for my dad to come out of his eye appointment that I'll upload later today.

Be ready, another severe thunderstorm may be coming your way. It is already thundering and getting darker here. Here is the S.T Watch by theweathernetwork.com:

POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON AND EARLY THIS EVENING. THIS IS AN ALERT TO THE POTENTIAL DEVELOPMENT OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS. IF THREATENING WEATHER APPROACHES TAKE IMMEDIATE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS

THUNDERSTORMS ARE DEVELOPING OVER SOUTHERN AND SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO THIS AFTERNOON AHEAD OF AN APPROACHING COLD FRONT. THERE IS THE POTENTIAL THAT SOME OF THESE STORMS MAY BECOME SEVERE WITH DAMAGING WIND GUSTS AND LARGE HAIL BEING THE PRIMARY CONCERNS. ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS ARE ALSO SUCH THAT FUNNEL CLOUDS MAY DEVELOP WITH A BRIEF WEAK TORNADO NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION.

I might bring my camera with me, and get some more storm pictures.

Chris :(

*EDIT* This watch has been upgraded to a warning, and storm will bring hail that is 2cm in diameter. Be Careful everyone!

AT 2.10 PM EDT WEATHER RADAR INDICATES A STRONG THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING 2 CM HAIL AND 90 KM/H WIND GUSTS IN THE CAMBRIDGE AREA. THIS STORM IS MOVING EASTWARD AND WILL AFFECT COMMUNITIES INCLUDING SHEFFIELD..WESTOVER..MILLGROVE..AND WATERDOWN IN THE NEXT 30 TO 60 MINUTES. THIS IS A WARNING THAT SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE IMMINENT OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. REMEMBER SOME SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCE TORNADOES..LISTEN FOR UPDATED WARNINGS. EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ONTARIO RECOMMENDS TAKING COVER IMMEDIATELY WHEN THREATENING WEATHER APPROACHES.

(This will make its way to Hamilton)

Current photos of the weather, (taken 5 minutes ago) 2:40pm. Enjoy!

First picture is where the storm is coming from, (West), where the second is East Hamilton yet to be hit with the storm. :huh:

So it was really hot today and around 2100 hrs some dark clouds start to roll in. By 2230 the sky is black (well it was also night time) but there was tons of sheet lightning ALL AROUND and it started to get a little windy. I got home around 2300 and was hoping for a 'good show' and everything just petered out. It did cool down nicely though.....maybe I'll get some decent sleep tonight (providing I go to bed :lol: )

maybe I'll get some decent sleep tonight (providing I go to bed :lol: )

LOL It doesn't seem like it, its 2:55am, almost time to wake up. :)

But anyways we had 3 different parts of the storm today, the worst was the 3rd cell. I was at my girlfriends house and there was crazy thunder and lightening. Her street also had some mild flooding because of the heavy downpours.

Captain, I have a video I made today of the first cell of the storm, I have to upload it eventually. :P

Some friends sent me this picture taken from a window at their cottage in Webster, New York. The photo was taken on Friday (8-8-2008) morning after a big rainfall. We rarely get tornadoes or water spouts this far north.

This ugly thing formed in Lake Ontario on the American side of the border.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=We...sa=N&tab=il

water_spout080808a.jpg

Be ready, another severe thunderstorm may be coming your way. It is already thundering and getting darker here. Here is the S.T Watch by theweathernetwork.com:

POTENTIAL FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON AND EARLY THIS EVENING. THIS IS AN ALERT TO THE POTENTIAL DEVELOPMENT OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS. MONITOR WEATHER CONDITIONS..LISTEN FOR UPDATED STATEMENTS. IF THREATENING WEATHER APPROACHES TAKE IMMEDIATE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS

THUNDERSTORMS ARE DEVELOPING OVER SOUTHERN AND SOUTHWESTERN ONTARIO THIS AFTERNOON AHEAD OF AN APPROACHING COLD FRONT. THERE IS THE POTENTIAL THAT SOME OF THESE STORMS MAY BECOME SEVERE WITH DAMAGING WIND GUSTS AND LARGE HAIL BEING THE PRIMARY CONCERNS. ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS ARE ALSO SUCH THAT FUNNEL CLOUDS MAY DEVELOP WITH A BRIEF WEAK TORNADO NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION.

I might bring my camera with me, and get some more storm pictures.

Chris :)

I was coming home from a wedding around Stoney Creek and it had ended at around 2pm. Now, during the ceremony while in the charch, there was a sound of thunder. That was the only one. Once we all gathered outside for some pictures, well, I looked to the north and sure enough, a line of a dark cloud, basically stretching from I'd say Ancaster to Oakville was taking shape.

By the time we are over the Skyway Bridge, we saw a bolt which almost hit the top of the lift bridge! Well, that line of clouds caught up to us by thetime we got onto the 407 at the junction. Yes, very dark and the lightning was really frequent. Rain was REALLY falling REALLY fast, almost to the point where my father who was driving couldn't see 5 feet in front of him! That I think gets my vote for stomr of the year as far as front-of-the-storm darkness, lightning and rainfall.

*EDIT* This watch has been upgraded to a warning, and storm will bring hail that is 2cm in diameter. Be Careful everyone!

AT 2.10 PM EDT WEATHER RADAR INDICATES A STRONG THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING 2 CM HAIL AND 90 KM/H WIND GUSTS IN THE CAMBRIDGE AREA. THIS STORM IS MOVING EASTWARD AND WILL AFFECT COMMUNITIES INCLUDING SHEFFIELD..WESTOVER..MILLGROVE..AND WATERDOWN IN THE NEXT 30 TO 60 MINUTES. THIS IS A WARNING THAT SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE IMMINENT OR OCCURRING IN THESE REGIONS. REMEMBER SOME SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCE TORNADOES..LISTEN FOR UPDATED WARNINGS. EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT ONTARIO RECOMMENDS TAKING COVER IMMEDIATELY WHEN THREATENING WEATHER APPROACHES.

(This will make its way to Hamilton)

Current photos of the weather, (taken 5 minutes ago) 2:40pm. Enjoy!

First picture is where the storm is coming from, (West), where the second is East Hamilton yet to be hit with the storm. :lol: