LRT Service Interuption

M. Parsons

From the August In Transit.

LRT Service Interruption

Upgrades to the signal system between Corona and Health Sciences LRT stations will result in reduced/no LRT service from Corona Station to Health Sciences Station from August 27 to September 2.

Regular train service will run during the day on August 28 and 29, and customers traveling to and from Health Sciences station will transfer to a shuttle train at Grandin Station. After 6pm buses will provide service between Corona and Health Sciences stations.

From August 30 to September 2, there will be bus service only from Corona to Health Sciences. This service will run between Churchill and Health Sciences stations, stopping at the LRT stations. Service will average from 7-8 to every 5 minutes.

Regular LRT service will be available between Corona and Clareview stations during the upgrades.

Should provide for some interesting chances for photos.

• Board Admin

No train service = pain. At least I will get dropped off at University Transit Centre (I hope). That's probably going to add another 10 minutes to the trip time - I'll just have to wake up earlier. (Which is not as easy as it seems for me!)

I don't believe I have any photos of "LRT contingency" in effect...

It's been awhile since I shot them too.

Back when I was your age... Contingency seemed to happen once or twice a month... what with Belvedere being rebuilt... Clareview being rebuilt... crossover added in north of Coliseum... tie replacement at Coliseum... tie replacement at Belvedere... flooding of 66 St. tunnel... tamper hitting traction pole... Stockyard fire...

:lol:

It's been awhile since I shot them too.

Back when I was your age... Contingency seemed to happen once or twice a month... what with Belvedere being rebuilt... Clareview being rebuilt... crossover added in north of Coliseum... tie replacement at Coliseum... tie replacement at Belvedere... flooding of 66 St. tunnel... tamper hitting traction pole... Stockyard fire...

:P

Wow, sounds like LRT needed a whole back up fleet :lol:

Wow, sounds like LRT needed a whole back up fleet ;)

They do have a back up fleet. It's the same one that the hybrids, diesels and trolleys have: a bunch of diesels that are just sitting around in the garages and S,NIS buses going to the garage.

Late. :P

• 4 months later...

How are the U2s holding up in this weather? I know in Calgary they have slow train orders down to 70km/h and even 60km/h from keeping the resistors from icing up. We have had a few break downs with them like resistor failures and stuff with them. The SD160s seem to be easy sailing...keep warm!

How are the U2s holding up in this weather? I know in Calgary they have slow train orders down to 70km/h and even 60km/h from keeping the resistors from icing up. We have had a few break downs with them like resistor failures and stuff with them. The SD160s seem to be easy sailing...keep warm!

Haven't heard, nor noticed, any speed restrictions yesterday. Didn't hear of any major failures, although one car was removed from a 4 car train after the morning peak.

I believe ETS prefers not to bump down and bump up trains during cold weather, so 4 car trainsets can be seen midday.

ETS will put in speed restrictions fo 50 km/hr if there is a lot of snow blowing around, I guess to help prevent the snow from getting sucked into the car.

• 1 year later...

*Bump*

According to the May In Transit, the 95 Street crossing is being replaced on the Victoria Day weekend. Trains will be running between Century Park and Churchill only, with buses from Churchill to Clareview.

Apparently other work will be undertaken that weekend as well. Wish I was going to be around that weekend!

*Bump*

According to the May In Transit, the 95 Street crossing is being replaced on the Victoria Day weekend. Trains will be running between Century Park and Churchill only, with buses from Churchill to Clareview.

Apparently other work will be undertaken that weekend as well. Wish I was going to be around that weekend!

Do they use articulated buses for the LRT shuttle? thats what they do in calgary .........

*Bump*

Reconstruction of the nearly 25 year old crossing includes removing the road portion of both tracks and replacing the ballast, ties, rail and concrete crossing pads. Crews will be working around the clock to complete the project over the weekend.

Isn't a crossing where two sets of tracks cross? I would hardly call that a crossing. Where the trolley and LRT catenary crossed is a crossing, but not on the road, IMO that's not a crossing.

Technically known as a grade crossing.

OK fine, grade crossing. That wasn't the question. Where are the tracks that *cross* the LRT tracks? There are the North / South bound LRT tracks, but what tracks along 95 street cross them? I have never seen a *crossing* there. The LRT tracks cross the road (95 Street), but that's not the same (IMO) as tracks crossing tracks.

OK fine, grade crossing. That wasn't the question. Where are the tracks that *cross* the LRT tracks? There are the North / South bound LRT tracks, but what tracks along 95 street cross them? I have never seen a *crossing* there. The LRT tracks cross the road (95 Street), but that's not the same (IMO) as tracks crossing tracks.

Halfway between 95 St and 92 St. Haven't you seen them before?

• 3 weeks later...