Langauges

yrt+viva=1system

hey since we live in a multicultural country, i was wondeirng what other langauges other peopel speak other than english. so i'll go first, i speak mandarin, cantonese and german. but i am currently learning korean and later on probably japanese as well :), i must be crazy learning the 3 main asian langauges!!!! lol

I speak English only but I do understand most Tygrinya when it's being spoken (I can't read it, it's pretty confusing). If anyone is wondering what Tigrinya is it's the language that most people from Eritrea speak. My parents are from Eritrea, Eritrea is a country in Africa bordered by Sudan, Ethiopia, Djibouti & the Red Sea.

I speak extremely fluent English :)

Other than that, enough French to get by, or at least an 89 in FSF 1D, and a few words each in Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, Cantonese, Mandarin and Korean.

I can tell you to "sit down" in two other languages :blink:

Asseyez-vous. (French) Cho Dai (Mandarin or Cantonese, I can't remember :lol:)

I can maintain a conversation in cantonese, sadly I'm not fluent. At one point of my life I was fluent in cantonese and could read. Ever since I began to learn english my cantonese weakened due to me not being able to find many others who could speak it. Now when I speak cantonese I'm sometimes lost for words. My mandarin is pathetic add the fact my reading skills is really really weak.

Other than that, enough French to get by, or at least an 89 in FSF 1D, and a few words each in Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, Cantonese, Mandarin and Korean.

I can tell you to "sit down" in two other languages :o

Asseyez-vous. (French) Cho Dai (Mandarin or Cantonese, I can't remember :o)

That would be Cantonese.

I should know. In order of fluency I do Cantonese, English, Mandarin and limited reading of Japanese.

H/P/U are mostly the same. All I picked up from a brief stint at an Indian shop (that I hated with a passion) are odd words that all meant "yes".

Can't speak, read or write cantonese as chinese language school does not help but to waste time, but do understand what they say.

I wish I can learn other languages, but the older you get the harder to remember on certain people.

My mom should know better on the first point. She teaches such a Chinese language school, a Cantonese one at that.

I second your second point. :P That's why my Japanese skills had regressed to said level.

I can maintain a conversation in cantonese, sadly I'm not fluent. At one point of my life I was fluent in cantonese and could read....

I guess you came to Canada at a very tender age? :blink:

I can maintain a conversation in cantonese, sadly I'm not fluent. At one point of my life I was fluent in cantonese and could read. Ever since I began to learn english my cantonese weakened due to me not being able to find many others who could speak it. Now when I speak cantonese I'm sometimes lost for words. My mandarin is pathetic add the fact my reading skills is really really weak.

I spent 12 years in Hong Kong, and three years straight in Canada............already my chinese is getting crappier day-by-day lol :o I can still speak Cantonese and Mandarin pretty fluently...........my French is ok, not fluent, but at least I think I can buy a chocolate ice-cream in Montreal by speaking French (or Can I? :blink: ) Fluent English of course.........as a matter of fact, I was one of the top English students in my grade, and the bottom Chinese student when I was in elementary school in Hong Kong! :o

Dave

I speak fluent English as well. :o

I also learnt French and German at school and can do a reasonable conversation in those. Learning German has taught me a bit of Dutch (but not much) and In addition I know just one or two words in Italian and Portuguese as well.

Italian and Portuguese come into it because my Mum is learning them and she is using Audio CDs and does not always use headphones. :blink:

Dave

I spent 12 years in Hong Kong, and three years straight in Canada............already my chinese is getting crappier day-by-day lol :P I can still speak Cantonese and Mandarin pretty fluently...........my French is ok, not fluent, but at least I think I can buy a chocolate ice-cream in Montreal by speaking French (or Can I? :blink: ) Fluent English of course.........as a matter of fact, I was one of the top English students in my grade, and the bottom Chinese student when I was in elementary school in Hong Kong! :o

Dave

Last year I had an idiot of an english teacher, and to top it off, she was pregnant :o I ended up with a 76, my lowest mark ever in English, then I got an 89 in French! :P This was the same pattern, although a lot more exagerated, as all years before starting in grade 4, when French started for me.

I spent 12 years in Hong Kong, and three years straight in Canada............already my chinese is getting crappier day-by-day lol :o I can still speak Cantonese and Mandarin pretty fluently...........my French is ok, not fluent, but at least I think I can buy a chocolate ice-cream in Montreal by speaking French (or Can I? :blink: ) Fluent English of course.........as a matter of fact, I was one of the top English students in my grade, and the bottom Chinese student when I was in elementary school in Hong Kong! :o

Dave

Let's see...my grades in chinese were...interestingly enough very high. I think 90s at least since I scored top marks which is a stark difference from what I get in English or French. French I have managed 70s, although my ability to use french as a language is...well awful, I think I'm better off trying off Mandarin or Japanese than French. English marks...I struggle with even 60s, I believe my highest ever english marks were low 70s. The english courses here are the only courses I ever take where the possibility of a D wouldn't scare me, essays really do ruin my marks. Sort of a stain on my transcripts. What irony...

My mother tongue is French, I picked up English mostly by watching Sesame Street and Mr. Dressup when I was a youngster (mid to late '70s). I have to give myself a good kick in the rear end to learn Italian, one day I would like to bring my four-year-old daughter Rose (and mine and Nath's future children) to Italy to see where her great-grandfather was born. Apparently my descendants (Cirino) came from Spain and established themselves in Italy in around the XVIIIth century. I also have some French, Breton and native origins in my family. A real melting pot... :blink:

I would also like to learn a little creole, some guys at work are haitien, so I could know what they are takling about. LOL! :o

Beside English, I can speak fluent Cantonese and Mandarin, also I can write Chinese due to I stayed in HKG over 10 yrs~~

And also, I can listen and speak poor Hokkien (Taiwanese) due to my grandparent (My dad's parents) came from Fujian (Hokkien), I used to be speak the basic Hokkien in Singapore and Malaysia with their Chinese~~ :blink::o

Well I came here when I was an infant and I am literate in English and French. I can only read and speak Cantonese albeit the accent when speaking. I usually read Cantonese newspapers such as Ming Pao or Singtao and watch TVB shows, if you are Chinese you will know, just to keep myself off the brink of losing my mother tongue. I must admit it is quite effective.