Kit Kat

Fredericton Transit update.

139 posts in this topic

Something I noticed earlier this evening is that, with the new buses (8161 and 8162), it seems as though the doors are a bit slower to open than on the older buses. Is that actually the case or is it just me?

Actually driving 8161 today I don't think the doors are too much slower.  originally they came with door brakes on the front with made them much slower. They have since been removed. Maybe that's what you were noticing.....

That could've been it; it was definitely faster than the doors on 8162 were during their first week of service (when it still had the new-bus smell)

Funny you bring that up. I know one of the early 3rd-gen low-floors (either 8111, 8112, or 8121) have doors that move so slowly, that you're sometimes 100m down the road before they finish closing and you can ring the bell!

Uploaded a few photos I took in Fredericton back on May 24, 2016. 8142 wasn't accounted for previously on the Wiki, but it is now!

Fredericton_Transit_8142-a.jpg

Fredericton_Transit_8112-a.jpg

Fredericton_Transit_8131-a.jpg

Fredericton_Transit_8061-a.jpg

Fredericton_Transit_8063-a.jpg

Fredericton_Transit_8071-a.jpg

I know that the wiki hasn't kept the best track of the cutaways, but I distinctly remember seeing one numbered 8055 a few years ago, and if I had to guess, 8054 is only numbered as such because the 2004 and 2005 numbers were grouped together at one point, leading to the possibility of a cutaway 8043 at one time. I also remember seeing 8122 as a cutaway fairly recently

8072 is back in service, after being sidelined for two years due to a transmission issue. I was on it tonight and it seemed to be working as normal.

TheDuke sent me a video earlier today of 8013 driving into the garage, under its own power, to be dismantled for parts.

1 person likes this

Does anyone know anything about the company named on this driver's badge?

nashwaaksis-NBLbadge.thumb.jpg.c8ed99d78c886c7dbaaebfd5e473dd06.jpg

I am unfamiliar with a Nashwaaksis Bus Line. When did it operate? What happened to it? Was it local transit or an intercity bus operation?

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, DavidW said:

Does anyone know anything about the company named on this driver's badge?

I am unfamiliar with a Nashwaakis Bus Line. When did it operate? What happened to it? Was it local transit or an intercity bus operation?

Wow where did you find this? I'll ask some of my co-workers.

On 2017-5-31 at 3:17 AM, TheDuke said:

Wow where did you find this? I'll ask some of my co-workers.

I only wish it was mine. The image came to me in an email inquiry.  I'm very curious about the company. The badge is I think for driver #2 which might suggest it was a small operation. 

6 hours ago, DavidW said:

I only wish it was mine. The image came to me in an email inquiry.  I'm very curious about the company. The badge is I think for driver #2 which might suggest it was a small operation. 

This company started May 3,1960, it was called Shalta Hughson dba Nashwaaksis Bus Line, they where located in Nashwaaksis, N.B. In 1962 Mr. Hughson died and the certificate was transfer to Betty Jean Huggson in July 1962. Company was sold to SMT (Eastern) June 1965. Operated an route from main Street Fredericton - Brookside Drive - Westview Drive - Cherry Street - MacFarland Street - Fulton Ave. - Cedar Ave. - Sunset Drive - CPR Crossing, They had one bus an Ford school bus that went to SMT #3714. I hope this helps.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Bernie said:

This company started May 3,1960, it was called Shalta Hughson dba Nashwaaksis Bus Line, they where located in Nashwaaksis, N.B. In 1962 Mr. Hughson died and the certificate was transfer to Betty Jean Hughson in July 1962. Company was sold to SMT (Eastern) June 1965. Operated an route from main Street Fredericton - Brookside Drive - Westview Drive - Cherry Street - MacFarland Street - Fulton Ave. - Cedar Ave. - Sunset Drive - CPR Crossing, They had one bus an Ford school bus that went to SMT #3714. I hope this helps.

Awesome Bernie.  Thanks!

I received word that four new buses, numbered 8171 through 8174, have arrived in Fredericton. No word yet on what RTS's they will displace.

Saw 8171 out this afternoon while the ReadyPass app called it 8021, so that sounds like a probable candidate for being retired, at least.