Kit Kat

Fredericton Transit update.

138 posts in this topic

A while ago I was reading that Fredericton planned on getting a couple of artics. Does anyone know anything about that?

I looked through Fredericton's 2014 budget documents, and I couldn't find anything about a new bus there. Then again, I looked through the 2013 documents and didn't find anything about a new bus (8131) there, either, so evidently I'm looking in the wrong places. I'd be very surprised if Fredericton got even one artic, though. I personally don't think there would be any use for one. I ride Route 11, the most popular route, over a dozen times a week, and very rarely does a bus ever have more than a few standees.

TheDuke announced on the Classic and RTS tracking page that 8961 has been retired, due to a transmission problem. This makes 8941 the last remaining Classic in Fredericton. This means the Classic era in Fredericton may end a lot sooner than I anticipated, since otherwise I expected 8961 to last at least into 2016... :unsure:

A new bus has also arrived, 8141, which will go into service in a month or so. Until I hear or see otherwise I'll assume it's spec'd similarly to 8131.

Found this article. The city is planning an overhaul of the bus system. They're trying to increase bus routes in busier times and in busier areas, but they're making some horrible changes to do it, including taking away the Silverwood, Lincoln, and Lower St. Mary's and taking them off the road up to an hour earlier.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/fredericton-plans-overhaul-of-transit-system-1.2685372?cmp=rss

Wow...! I'm indifferent to the proposed removal of those routes since I never use them (although I don't know what routes serve Lower St. Mary's), but I am a bit worried about ending service earlier, especially since this coming school year I have classes that end at 10 PM. And now having to relearn the numbering after I finally figured out most of the routes. -_- It will be nice to see more frequent service, though.

I can't believe, however, that they have no planned changes for Saturday or Sunday - those are the most complained-about aspects of the system! We'll see what happens, anyhow; it's just a proposal for now.

I don't blame anyone for being upset over the changes. I find them absolutely ridiculous. There's still enough people who take the Lincoln/Silverwood bus to warrant using it, in my opinion, and taking the buses off an hour earlier at night is just ludicrous.

Hi all; I know I haven't spoke in a while, but I'm still here, and I have some bits and pieces of info to share.

Obviously, the routes and scheduling changes were implemented. 11 Carlisle was renamed 10 Carlisle, 13 Brookside Mall was renamed 12 Brookside, 15 Barker's Point was renamed 14 Barkers Point (not a typo, they actually dropped the apostrophe :P), and 16 Prospect has become 17 Regent. 18 Silverwood and 20 Lincoln were left alone, despite their discontinuation being one of the focuses of the changes. I'm sure some of the routes have changed slightly, but I haven't bothered to look into that.

They did decide to end routes 1-1.5 hours earlier than before. Luckily for me, my class that ends at 10 PM has never ended later than 9:30, so I've been able to catch the last bus home. I still think they shouldn't have done it, though. A friend of mine whose job was affected by the earlier end times actually started an online petition to revert the changes completely. It received over 500 signatures, and he hand-delivered it to the City of Fredericton. I haven't heard anything about it since then, though. I would have been surprised if it actually changed anything.

On to the buses themselves, I seen at least a couple of the second-gen LFS's got new standee bars over the front wheel wells. They're nice, larger than the originals. They increase standee capacity by probably 3 or 4. I've also rode the new 8141 a few times (which by the way, wiki editors, needs to be added to the roster). As far as I can tell it's no different from its third-gen brethren.

In keeping with its announced retirement, I haven't seen 8961 (which needs to be moved to the retired roster on the wiki). 8941 is still in service as of a couple of days ago. 8013 seems to have had its squeaky steering fixed. Also something that surprises me, about a week and a half ago, I was waiting for the bus to come after school, and up comes 8021! That's the first time, in all my time riding the buses, that I have ever witnessed an older bus running on 10 Carlisle. Then a couple of days later, I witnessed another RTS running on that route! I always figured they purposely kept the older buses off that route due to its high ridership (despite 11 Prospect being equally as popular and often serviced by the older buses), but maybe I've just never been there at the right time? Cool to see nonetheless.

Also, just a funny anecdote, I got on an RTS one morning a couple of weeks ago - I think it was 8983 - and the driver alerts me that the bell quit working halfway through the route. So we had to yell when we wanted to get off at the next stop. That was amusing.

I just came to campus to find 8992 broke down. :o It was parked at the bus stop behind McLaggan hall, with a tow truck preparing to hitch it on. Oh my!

Also, I rode 8981 the other morning to find it has a very loud engine tick. I've heard this usually spells curtains for a two-stroke Detroit, don't know what it means for an S50...

Edit: I rode 8992 a couple of days later. Evidently its breakdown wasn't detrimental. :P

Sad to report that 8941 and 8961 are now retired. They are both currently sitting at transit. I'll snag some photos this week before they disappear.

Oh no, not 8941 too! :( That's too bad. The Classic era has ended in Fredericton. But such is life. I'm glad I was able to get the few sound recordings and one crappy picture of inside it (which is my profile pic) while I could, and I'm also glad I was able to ride it once during this academic year. Did 8941 suffer some sort of breakdown, too, or did they just decide it was time to pull it off the road?

What does Fredericton do with the retired buses, anyway? Do they auction them off, or just scrap them?

Auction or scrap depending on the bus. 8921 is behind the regent st. Depot it's used for storage.

Has Fredericton saved any New Looks or Classics for the sake of preserving them or bringing them out on special occasions, like some other transit systems do? Although it's a nice thought, I would assume no. :rolleyes:

The aforementioned fare and pass increases have taken place, and route changes took place as of January 5. Among the changes, both 10 and 11 have one more night run now, which is awesome for me!

I just looked through the city's budget for 2015, and it looks like the city's going to be ordering a new bus this year

Can anybody confirm that 8143 is the number of the newest LFS at Fredericton?

I received a fleet survey (via CUTA) for Fredericton and it lists 8141 and 8143 as 2014 units. Did they skip 8142 or is this a typo? Any confirmation would be appreciated.

I haven't seen an 8142 or an 8143. It's likely 8143 is a van.

What is this CUTA? Is it something that's available online?

8142 is a new accessible bus that will arrive shortly. 8143 is the newest low floor. It should be on the road soon. It was getting decals put on it today.

8142 is a new accessible bus that will arrive shortly. 8143 is the newest low floor. It should be on the road soon. It was getting decals put on it today.

Thanks very much for the information. CUTA is the Canadian Urban Transit Association, the national advocacy group for transit. They do surveys of all Canadian systems who are members and produce statistics for the industry. Their data and information is available to members only: www.cutaactu.ca

I had a unique experience this morning. I got on 8065 to go to school, and we weren't a few hundred metres down the road when a suspension airbag blew. It wasn't much, just felt a bump and then a scraping noise until we came to a stop. You could hear air being constantly pumped into the atmosphere. Driver said we could wait half an hour for another bus or walk. I needed the exercise, anyway. :P

You know I was on that bus too. Terrible place to break down........

Oh, were you driving? Nice to put a face on the name. I'm the guy who gets on and off at the Skyline Motel.

The two bus stops at the corner of Forest Hill/Canterbury have been moved up the road 100 metres or so. I'm not sure, but I think they removed the stops above them, too. Someone told me they're rearranging stops all over the city.