Fredericton Transit update.

• 1 month later...

Some cool news - Transit is re-exploring the smartphone app that they first came out with for a short time a few years ago. They're also considering an electronic payment system. They hope to roll out the new features in early 2016.

From the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/fredericton-transit-mobile-app-1.3281404

In other news, I've received word that 8013 is off the road with a failed turbo, and with a new bus order possibly in the works, it may be retired rather than repaired.

Another curiosity is apparently 8072 has been off the road for nearly a year due to an undescribed issue that has yet to be fixed, and I indeed haven't seen it in about that long.

Also, thanks to Kevin Lo for the latest improvements on the Wiki page. That page has come a long way since I was granted editing rights in July, and I'm quite pleased with how it looks now.

Edit 11/24/2015: Surprisingly, 8013 has been repaired and is back on the road.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's not looking good for Transit. The wage dispute has not been resolved, and the union has voted in favor of a strike. If intervention doesn't take place, then the buses could cease operation as early as tomorrow night.

From the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/fredericton-transit-strike-vote-1.3398113

• 1 month later...

Regarding the union-city negotiations, I just read that the union accepted the city's final offer a couple of weeks ago. I must have missed it when the media reported on it.

Also, the 2016 schedule came out a little while ago. Aside from a new font, there are no changes from the 2015 schedule.

• 1 month later...

In November I reported about Transit exploring upgrading the system with GPS tracking and electronic fare payment, and it looks like that plan is moving along well. A group of UNB students have started a company called ReadyPass, and by the looks of it Fredericton Transit will be their first customer (or guinea pig, at least). In the past few months I've occasionally seen tablet computers on the bus, and the driver has to open a program and select the route they're on when they change routes.

http://www.readypass.ca/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Two buses were ordered a few weeks ago; no ETA on them yet.

I've received word that Transit aspires to order 10 new buses in the next three years - enough to retire all buses up to and including 8041 and 8042 (as those two buses also don't have wheelchair ramps). It's a very ambitious goal, one which would require a good deal of federal funding to achieve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know that the wiki hasn't kept the best track of the cutaways, but I distinctly remember seeing one numbered 8055 a few years ago, and if I had to guess, 8054 is only numbered as such because the 2004 and 2005 numbers were grouped together at one point, leading to the possibility of a cutaway 8043 at one time. I also remember seeing 8122 as a cutaway fairly recently

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Does anyone know anything about the company named on this driver's badge?

nashwaaksis-NBLbadge.thumb.jpg.c8ed99d78c886c7dbaaebfd5e473dd06.jpg

I am unfamiliar with a Nashwaaksis Bus Line. When did it operate? What happened to it? Was it local transit or an intercity bus operation?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DavidW said:

Does anyone know anything about the company named on this driver's badge?

nashwaaksis-NBLbadge.thumb.jpg.c8ed99d78c886c7dbaaebfd5e473dd06.jpg

I am unfamiliar with a Nashwaakis Bus Line. When did it operate? What happened to it? Was it local transit or an intercity bus operation?

Wow where did you find this? I'll ask some of my co-workers.