Fredericton Transit update.

Oh no, not 8941 too! :( That's too bad. The Classic era has ended in Fredericton. But such is life. I'm glad I was able to get the few sound recordings and one crappy picture of inside it (which is my profile pic) while I could, and I'm also glad I was able to ride it once during this academic year. Did 8941 suffer some sort of breakdown, too, or did they just decide it was time to pull it off the road?

What does Fredericton do with the retired buses, anyway? Do they auction them off, or just scrap them?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

8142 is a new accessible bus that will arrive shortly. 8143 is the newest low floor. It should be on the road soon. It was getting decals put on it today.

Thanks very much for the information. CUTA is the Canadian Urban Transit Association, the national advocacy group for transit. They do surveys of all Canadian systems who are members and produce statistics for the industry. Their data and information is available to members only: www.cutaactu.ca

• 1 month later...

I had a unique experience this morning. I got on 8065 to go to school, and we weren't a few hundred metres down the road when a suspension airbag blew. It wasn't much, just felt a bump and then a scraping noise until we came to a stop. You could hear air being constantly pumped into the atmosphere. Driver said we could wait half an hour for another bus or walk. I needed the exercise, anyway. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Bus stops all around the city are reviewed and moved for safety reasons location to crosswalks etc from time to Time. These stops were moved one because the first one was in front of a school zone and people would pass the bus and speed through the school zone. When doing thy in made the others too close together so they were combined.

Martime man: And also I was driving 8065 when it broke down as well as 8014 yesterday that I belived you were on.....?

Something interesting... Of course, the roads are horrible today. I was on the bus coming home, and the anti-lock brakes were kicking in all the way down Windsor street. All of a sudden there was a continuous beep, and we had to pull over and park for a moment until it stopped. Did we temporarily lose air pressure from using the brakes so much, or was it something else?

(This was on an LFS.)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

General682002: I see your edits on our Wiki page - thanks! I had no idea our 1999-2002 RTS's had ZF transmissions! That would explain why the 1998 units sound so different from them. And I see 8961 actually had an Allison B400R, which also explains why it sounded different from the RTS's!

May I ask where you got that info?

General682002: I see your edits on our Wiki page - thanks! I had no idea our 1999-2002 RTS's had ZF transmissions! That would explain why the 1998 units sound so different from them. And I see 8961 actually had an Allison B400R, which also explains why it sounded different from the RTS's!

May I ask where you got that info?

I was there during for a day and I rode buses. The 2001-02 RTS should be ZF as Allison already discontinued their VR731.

The 96 Classic would have T-drive already. Did you recall a hump at the back of the bus?

Ah, right you are. Indeed it had the hump in the back.

Now, I'm wondering if someone can answer me something about the wiki page... I notice in the Retired roster, it lists buses 7501, 7502, and 7603 as having been renumbered 206, 207, and 208, respectively. Does this seem right? I would assume it went the other way around like the other buses. That is, they would have started as 206, 207, and 208, were renumbered to 7501, 7502, and 7603 when that system went into place in presumably the late 1980s or early 1990s, and then 7603 lived long enough to be renumbered under the current system, 8771, when that system took place in the early 2000s.