Ontario Northland

Timmins Man

• 3 months later...

Effective June 1st, Ontario Northland will be relocating from Ottawa Central Station on Catherine Street to the Via-Rail Station located on Tremblay Road. Only options available will be ordering tickets online or through the phone. A full-service option is being worked on for those that don't have internet or phone access.

https://www.ontarionorthland.ca/en/ottawa-agency-change-pick-and-drop

• Like 1

I suspect that after July 1 all inter-city trips out of Ottawa regardless of the operator will most likely run out of the VIA Rail terminal, considering the Centeral Bus Terminal has ben sold and will close permently to make way for condo's.

7 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I suspect that after July 1 all inter-city trips out of Ottawa regardless of the operator will most likely run out of the VIA Rail terminal, considering the Centeral Bus Terminal has ben sold and will close permently to make way for condo's.

I don't think so. Bus stations will probably be located all over town. I just EXPECT Carleton University to be one bus operators primary stops. I doubt bus operators will coordinate terminals, they will just negotiate curbside pick up/drop off

5 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

To me that makes it inconvenient which makes the passenger gave to travel more to make a connectiomn?

But I'm not in the bus biz so I could be wrong. 

It is, but at the same time, without a national brand, there is almost no incentive to work together

It exactly what happened in Western Canada.

Calgary has different bus terminal for the different companies that serve there (Cold Shot, Red Arrow, Rider Express)

Same with Edmonton. 

At Winnipeg, Ontario Northland decided to share terminal with some buses heading north. However rider express has their terminal a few blocks away, a couple more has their station at the airport. Kasper of course has theirs at the transit center.

At Thunder Bay which is ridiculous, Ontario Northland and Kasper has DIFFERENT bus stations as well

What is even worse is that each individual companies set their schedule with absolute NO regards to connections to the next carrier. It has definitely gotten better but, you used to have to be forced to stay overnight at White River, ON because Ontario Northland (back when it didn't go west) arrived AFTER Kasper left. 

With Ontario Northland serving east of Winnipeg and Rider Express west of Winnipeg, cross country trips is possible again

Interesting?

But in all honesty if the coach comes want to compete with Via Rail & Airlines(but more with VIA Rail) they've got to get together and try to work together and make some type of effort to serve the Coach Passenger community other wise passengers will just say 'Frack This' I'll pay some what more but at least I'll get there with out any hassles. 

Remember the "enemy" is not each other but the Airlines & Via Rail, there the ones you trying to do "Battle" with. Other wise you won't win and you may end up like Greyhound.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:46 AM, Rapidbus said:

It is, but at the same time, without a national brand, there is almost no incentive to work together

Calgary has different bus terminal for the different companies that serve there (Cold Shot, Red Arrow, Rider Express)

Same with Edmonton. 

At Winnipeg, Ontario Northland decided to share terminal with some buses heading north. However rider express has their terminal a few blocks away, a couple more has their station at the airport. Kasper of course has theirs at the transit center.

At Thunder Bay which is ridiculous, Ontario Northland and Kasper has DIFFERENT bus stations as well

What is even worse is that each individual companies set their schedule with absolute NO regards to connections to the next carrier. It has definitely gotten better but, you used to have to be forced to stay overnight at White River, ON because Ontario Northland (back when it didn't go west) arrived AFTER Kasper left. 

With Ontario Northland serving east of Winnipeg and Rider Express west of Winnipeg, cross country trips is possible again

Cold Shot services Alberta and BC Peace Country and the Only one in the West to do parcels which are now a major revenue stream for the company.Also Cold Shot has many physical Agents in alot of cities it services. 

I think Rider is trying its best to do what it can, its not easy im sure. They have a decent location in Calgary now and have just recently got space in Pacific Central Station in Vancouver. Their Saskatoon and Regina locations are ok too. Edmonon is at a Hotel (seems to work).And just 3 blocks from Cold Shot.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:46 AM, Rapidbus said:

Same with Edmonton. 

Dont forget their has always been two physical terminals in Calgary and Edmonton as Ebus/Red Arrow always had their own even with Greyhound operating.

On 5/13/2021 at 6:11 PM, GTAmissions1 said:

Effective June 1st, Ontario Northland will be relocating from Ottawa Central Station on Catherine Street to the Via-Rail Station located on Tremblay Road. Only options available will be ordering tickets online or through the phone. A full-service option is being worked on for those that don't have internet or phone access.

https://www.ontarionorthland.ca/en/ottawa-agency-change-pick-and-drop

Im wondering what will happen with their parcel services or if they will do that at a different location maybe?

On 5/24/2021 at 8:16 PM, translink fan said:

Not anymore. Only lasted 5 days. Back out to loading in front of Pacific Central. 

wow..how does that happen. Dont u usually pay a monthly rent kinda to get a spot?  I guess theirs nothing wrong with loading outside PCS. Not sure what the benefits are to load in PCS.

The last Ontario Northland bus to depart Ottawa Central Station on Catherine Street was 5502 arriving from Sudbury at around 11 PM or 23:00 hours on May 31st. Continuing east towards Ottawa General Hospital/CHEO for those going further east.

Today (June 1st) is the first day Ontario Northland services Via-Rail at 200 Tremblay Road for pick-up and drop-off in both directions. The first/last stop is still Ottawa General Hospital/CHEO only on request for those who purchased a ticket to cover the distance. 

I'm assuming those stops at CHEO & General Hospital Campus is for pick up on out bound trips only & for drop off on in bound trips?

I'm asuming ONT has the same rules as other carriers "No Local" transportation between VIA & CHEO/Gen Hos?

As for the Ottawa Central Terminal being 'Officially Closed' I'll miss it after 48 years of service served Ottawa well. Even though ONT is now based out of VIA at least you'll be waiting in a well A/C & Heated waiting area inside the VIA Station. 

On 5/18/2021 at 9:34 PM, roeco said:

Cold Shot services Alberta and BC Peace Country and the Only one in the West to do parcels which are now a major revenue stream for the company.Also Cold Shot has many physical Agents in alot of cities it services. 

I think Rider is trying its best to do what it can, its not easy im sure. They have a decent location in Calgary now and have just recently got space in Pacific Central Station in Vancouver. Their Saskatoon and Regina locations are ok too. Edmonon is at a Hotel (seems to work).And just 3 blocks from Cold Shot.

Dont forget their has always been two physical terminals in Calgary and Edmonton as Ebus/Red Arrow always had their own even with Greyhound operating.

Im wondering what will happen with their parcel services or if they will do that at a different location maybe?

It seems Now Rider Express is using Maple Bus Lines Terminal in Winnipeg at 936 Sherbrooke St where Ontario Northland has their terminal too ...this sure is good news especially since Rider has indicated they will be doing a partnership or Interline deal with Ontario Northland.

17 hours ago, MCIBUS said:

I'm assuming those stops at CHEO & General Hospital Campus is for pick up on out bound trips only & for drop off on in bound trips?

I'm asuming ONT has the same rules as other carriers "No Local" transportation between VIA & CHEO/Gen Hos?

The stops are served in both directions, but only if customers have pre-booked tickets. The bus won't go if there are no customers.

The booking system will not allow trips within Ottawa/Kanata.

Originally posted on the OC Transpo forum. 3A at Terry Fox Station is designated for intercity carriers. Right now it is Ontario Northland, but Megabus will also service the stop when they expand. 

In exchange, service to Kanata Town Centre will be discontinued. Which makes sense since it loops into Terry Fox Station, then head back onto the Queensway towards Ottawa Station (Via-Rail) on Tremblay via Riverside Drive/Vanier Parkway off-ramp.

Ontario Northland will be relocating to Union Station Bus Terminal effective June 27th along with the purchase of tickets in-person at the Coach Canada ticket counter. Between June 8th to June 26th, there will be NO ticket purchases done in-person at the Toronto Coach Terminal. Only pickup and drop-offs will be done. 

https://www.ontarionorthland.ca/en/toronto-downtown-bus-stop-change

It comes when the TTC board makes their decision regarding the Toronto Coach Terminal. The lease expires on July 7th which all the intercity bus operators have cleared out. Megabus/Coach Canada already relocated to Union Station Bus Terminal and Greyhound out of business. The last Ontario Northland departure is 11:30 PM from Toronto Coach Terminal heading north. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2021/06/09/torontos-bay-street-bus-terminal-reaches-the-end-of-the-line.html?fbclid=IwAR0fDuPCgXShqqMKJrVp9YKf7SuOxHZ1qoECPsOK2h4rnL5f_RyWC6s1JxY 

Alternative link if blocked by paywall: https://outline.com/SxkSSb

It is the end of an era for the Toronto Coach Terminal. Especially since it is pretty small and challenging to navigate during the peak periods with higher volumes along with how it has fallen in despair over the years. 

• 3 weeks later...

The new schedules have been posted effective July 4th. First noticed by @Rapidbus regarding changes to the Toronto lines which out of the three daily trips from Sudbury to Toronto, two will terminate at Yorkdale and the final departure will end at Union Station Bus Terminal. For the four trips from North Bay, half will terminate at Yorkdale and the other half will continue to Union Station Bus Terminal.

Some additional stops have been added:

• King City Go Station 
  • Orillia Lakehead University and Soldier's Memorial Hospital 
  • Allandale Waterfront Go (First trip heading to Toronto via North Bay)

I can understand the stops at Lakehead University and Solider's Memorial Hospital. Though not sure why they decided to add King City which is served by Go Transit with the train on weekdays and bus service via 65E/65F from Union Station. Prior to COVID-19, it was serviced by 68C from King City with two departures on Friday only at 1:30 PM and 2:30 PM connecting from the train. Of course 68C Barrie Bus Terminal from King City is suspended until further notice for those that want a more direct trip from Barrie via Highway 400. 

On the other hand, regarding how trips will terminate at Yorkdale which connects to Go Transit if someone wanted to head further out such as Mississauga, Oshawa or even Guelph and Milton. Line 1 Yonge-University if needing to continue further downtown. Being a major transit hub.

The question is does Ontario Northland want to continue trips downtown if there is half wanting downtown and the other half disembarking at Yorkdale. During the times when I took Ontario Northland to reach Toronto, sometimes I would get off at Yorkdale and continue my trip on the subway to reach my destination. Rather than staying on the Ontario Northland bus an additional half hour especially if traffic was heavy or wanting to get something at Yorkdale. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/22/2018 at 9:46 PM, Seashore_518203 said:

Ontario Northland has taken delivery of some new MCI D4505 buses. Buses # 1901, 1905 and 1906 were spotted at the Toronto Coach Terminal today. In talking to a driver, he said that they had taken delivery of "about 10".

Reviving an old thread but I just got a good look at bus # 1901 today.  Oddly it has a rear destination sign (which was not in use).

On 8/20/2021 at 2:36 PM, Michel said:

Reviving an old thread but I just got a good look at bus # 1901 today.  Oddly it has a rear destination sign (which was not in use).

A couple of the 1900s have been seen on the Thunder Bay-Winnipeg route. 1903 and 1905 were seen and photographed outside Kenora.

IMG_4416.JPG

IMG_4425.JPG

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I'm surprised that they didnt take over the Toronto, Barrie Owen Sound Route.  Considering that it was a busy route for Greyhound, running 7 days a week. The LINX bus is great for local travel but for long distances is not that great and doesn't run on weekends. 

3 hours ago, Shaun said:

I'm surprised that they didnt take over the Toronto, Barrie Owen Sound Route.  Considering that it was a busy route for Greyhound, running 7 days a week. The LINX bus is great for local travel but for long distances is not that great and doesn't run on weekends. 

"Not that great" is definitely an understatement.  Owen Sound-Toronto via Barrie now requires 4 transfers!

Owen Sound-Blue Mountain (GTR)

Blue Mountain-Collingwood (Colltrans)

Collingwood-Wasaga Beach-Barrie (LINX)

Barrie-Aurora (GO Bus)

Aurora-Toronto (GO Train)