Ontario Northland

Timmins Man

• 2 weeks later...

Ontario Northland news:

The route extension to Thunder Bay has been put on hold indefinitely due to the COVID-19 crisis. http://www.ontarionorthland.ca/en/thunder-bay-motor-coach-service-temporarily-postponed

In addition, service reductions due to COVID-19 took effect back on April 26. While the specific cuts were not mentioned, it looks like the Toronto-Sudbury and Toronto-North Bay routes are down to 2 daily departures each.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2020 at 6:50 PM, Articulated said:

Ontario Northland news:

The route extension to Thunder Bay has been put on hold indefinitely due to the COVID-19 crisis. http://www.ontarionorthland.ca/en/thunder-bay-motor-coach-service-temporarily-postponed

In addition, service reductions due to COVID-19 took effect back on April 26. While the specific cuts were not mentioned, it looks like the Toronto-Sudbury and Toronto-North Bay routes are down to 2 daily departures each.

I just read in Thunder Bay news watch that Ontario Northland is starting service this weekend from Thunder Bay going East for now and will also look into west trips too. An interesting turn of events but I guess it was fast tracked due to kasper suspending service

11 hours ago, roeco said:

I just read in Thunder Bay news watch that Ontario Northland is starting service this weekend from Thunder Bay going East for now and will also look into west trips too. An interesting turn of events but I guess it was fast tracked due to kasper suspending service

You would be correct.

From the SOOtoday

The first bus will leave Thunder Bay for Sault Ste. Marie at 2 p.m. on Sunday, with a return trip scheduled to arrive in the city the following morning.

• Thanks 1

One might want to check out their scheduling....Its not ideal if youre coming from Toronto to Thunder Bay or Winnipeg. As it gets into White River at like 3 pm and lv for Thunder Bay at 245 am the next day. Return it connects ok all the way through. I cant see the East to West schedule working. On another Note you may see partnerships coming together very soon to trek west. :)

The ONTC coached scheduled to arrive in Winnipeg this afternoon did not make it past Kenora. Apparently the unit had some mechanical troubles and broke down. Maple Bus was asked to rescue. The return departure is on Wednesday afternoon, hopefully the coach is back on line?

Hey Mr. Roeco, the west could get very interesting ???? ...

7 hours ago, ShermanOaks said:

The ONTC coached scheduled to arrive in Winnipeg this afternoon did not make it past Kenora. Apparently the unit had some mechanical troubles and broke down. Maple Bus was asked to rescue. The return departure is on Wednesday afternoon, hopefully the coach is back on line?

Sounds like a Temsa lol

20 hours ago, ShermanOaks said:

Im thinkin you could be right...not only on the passenger side but Id think ONTC might be interested in building an interline parcel network too not only in Ontario but now they will have a foothold in Manitoba with Maple partnership, could they be interested in forming partnerships to go further west with parcels? who knows.

On 5/19/2020 at 10:38 AM, Shaun said:

I thought those where only on lease until the D4000's arrived?

They purchased a few more Temsas to replace the ones they leased. I think there's now 7 of them. A far as I know, the J3500s are also there but since nobody's seen them, it's hard to know for sure what the roster looks like without a contact at ONTC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shaun said:

Do they really need that many buses for expansion?

Hopefully this will result in more services where there is a gap in his service. 

I believe the 35 footers were bought for the Thunder Bay-Winnipeg extension.

56 minutes ago, Shaun said:

It was my understanding that the TEMSA units where on lease until the MCI's arrived. 

Did someone say that the MCI's where sent back to the factory for repairs?

The 19xx MCIs were sent back to the factory for repairs/modifications in early 2019; at least some of them had returned to service by the summer, if not all of them.

In terms of the TEMSAs, but the L19xx units that were running around last year were supposed to be leased units. This may be rumours, but I have heard the (non-accessible) leased units were to be replaced with permanent units equipped with wheelchair lifts. There have been numerous media pictures of a TEMSA numbered 2002 that has been used to inaugurate service out of Thunder Bay, so it's clear they have gotten more TEMSA TS-35 units this year.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:30 PM, ShermanOaks said:

The Thunder Bay to Winnipeg schedule arrived in Winnipeg this afternoon at 15:45 (MCI D4505 ONTC #B5609), and the Winnipeg to Thunder Bay schedule departed on-time at 16:00 (Temsa TS-35 ONTC #2003). Cheers.

Kinda odd how their schedule is worked out. Wonder where their drivers are stationed for this new run.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:30 PM, ShermanOaks said:

IMG_2231.jpeg

Ontario Northland 2003 - 25MAY2020 Winnipeg MB - Alex Regiec.jpeg

Ontario Northland B5609 - 25MAY2020 Winnipeg MB - Alex Regiec.jpeg

The schedule is set up for two trips per week for now. A westbound bus from Thunder Bay to Winnipeg on Mondays and Fridays, and an eastbound bus departing Winnipeg on Mondays and Wednesday. The sections are stored, washed and fuelled by Maple Bus Lines at its garage. The driver's are based out of Thunder Bay and stay in a hotel in Winnipeg during their layover. I believe the plan is to go to service six days per week, but that is in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=26&acctid=10543

https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=27&acctid=10543

Some units up for sale. I was gonna ask why they were being done away with so early, but they all have well over a million kms. That MCI looks like it has fresh drive tires. 

May want to update the wiki for those who deal with that stuff. 

23 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=26&acctid=10543

https://www.govdeals.ca/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=27&acctid=10543

Some units up for sale. I was gonna ask why they were being done away with so early, but they all have well over a million kms. That MCI looks like it has fresh drive tires. 

May want to update the wiki for those who deal with that stuff. 

Do you know if Chassis was rebuilt along with the power train? If so, by who?