Ontario Northland

Timmins Man

1 hour ago, TheAverageJoe said:

There is a Shell and Petro Canada in Northbay that have CNG 

I can't think of a Shell or Petro-Canada in North Bay, or any other station, that have CNG. I can't think of any fleets (garbage trucks for example) that are powered by CNG in North Bay either.It says Union Gas will be providing the filling station, where do you have information that says CNG is already commercially available?

10 hours ago, Flalex72 said:

I can't think of a Shell or Petro-Canada in North Bay, or any other station, that have CNG. I can't think of any fleets (garbage trucks for example) that are powered by CNG in North Bay either.It says Union Gas will be providing the filling station, where do you have information that says CNG is already commercially available?

Quick google search but i see when I just checked now the Petro Canada site it does not show one for North Bay. I am sure Northland would have set something up with Union Gas for refueling in North Bay

• 3 weeks later...

MCI demo # 13895 is seen at the Ontario Northland garage in North Bay last week. This CNG fueled bus is on trial by ONR for about a month. It is being used in very limited service but has made at least one trip to Toronto on an overload section.

A temporary fueling station has been installed at the ONR garage. You can see in the door side photo of the bus that it is being fueled at the time of the photo. The CNG line is a slow fill line (not high pressure, like some transit CNG installations) and it takes approximately 8 hours to fill a bus this way.

The CNG tanks are in the luggage compartments so quite a bit of underfloor luggage space is lost. It will be interesting to see if ONR goes ahead with purchasing CNG vehicles.

Ontario Northland 13895 - 11AUG17.jpg

Ontario Northland 13895 - CNG - 11AUG17.jpg

Ontario Northland 13895 - CNG -- 11AUG17.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Seashore_518203 said:

MCI demo # 13895 is seen at the Ontario Northland garage in North Bay last week. This CNG fueled bus is on trial by ONR for about a month. It is being used in very limited service but has made at least one trip to Toronto on an overload section.

A temporary fueling station has been installed at the ONR garage. You can see in the door side photo of the bus that it is being fueled at the time of the photo. The CNG line is a slow fill line (not high pressure, like some transit CNG installations) and it takes approximately 8 hours to fill a bus this way.

The CNG tanks are in the luggage compartments so quite a bit of underfloor luggage space is lost. It will be interesting to see if ONR goes ahead with purchasing CNG vehicles.

Ontario Northland 13895 - 11AUG17.jpg

Ontario Northland 13895 - CNG - 11AUG17.jpg

Ontario Northland 13895 - CNG -- 11AUG17.jpg

Do you know if its being used in shorter line run service or just testing around North Bay?

4 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Do you know if its being used in shorter line run service or just testing around North Bay?

They said that they will not be using it much in service, just mainly testing around North Bay. It may be used on second sections so watch out for it in Toronto on the Labour Day weekend when bringing University kids back to school. The CNG tank capacity is sufficient to allow a North Bay to Toronto return trip without having to fill up.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 8/18/2017 at 10:25 PM, Shaun said:

If it can do a round trip from North Bay to Toronto on one tank that's pretty good. Can the diesel bus do the same? 

I guess if it was fast fill they could fill it in a few minutes?

Diesel could do it no problem. I've driven from London ON, to Washington D.C., and drove around D.C. for 2 days before I needed to re-fuel (roughly 1100 km, 650L fuel tank, believe that is a standard size for that make/year of coach). That was on a 2000 E series, so I have to assume fuel economy would improve on a newer coach.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 1:06 PM, Flalex72 said:

The January 14th schedules are now available, and includes service from North Bay to White River 6 days a week. It also expands the Sudbury-Ottawa service to run daily.

thats kinda odd just doin service to White River?? I thought at least their would be some kinda connection to Thunder Bay ,Im assuming Kasper is goin to do a White River to Thunder Bay service to connect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Northland routes including Polar Bear are starting to show up on Google Maps transit option, although Sudbury-Ottawa is not there yet so there may be other gaps.

Greyhound cancelling west of Sudbury is an interesting test of what the new government’s attitude to Northland (and the northwest) will be.

13 hours ago, dowlingm said:

Northland routes including Polar Bear are starting to show up on Google Maps transit option, although Sudbury-Ottawa is not there yet so there may be other gaps.

Greyhound cancelling west of Sudbury is an interesting test of what the new government’s attitude to Northland (and the northwest) will be.

looks like kasper is doing white river -Thunder Bay to Winnipeg to regina to saskatoon starting in Oct.

1 hour ago, roeco said:

looks like kasper is doing white river -Thunder Bay to Winnipeg to regina to saskatoon starting in Oct.

Yes, I read up on Kasper after posting my earlier comment. Will be interesting to see how they will handle expansion at such a fast pace as they seem to want to set.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:02 PM, dowlingm said:

Yes, I read up on Kasper after posting my earlier comment. Will be interesting to see how they will handle expansion at such a fast pace as they seem to want to set.

Apparently some services they were going to do regardless...and had the licenses to do them too already. Maybe Kasper can work with Rider Express on the Regina-Saskatoon-Prince Albert corridor to interline passengers.

1 hour ago, Shaun said:

So would ONR take over the route from Sudbury to Winnipeg? They would be in the best position to do so. 

Ontario Northland currently operates as far as White River. Kasper Transportation (mentioned three posts above) is extending their route out to meet ONTC in White River. So there will be a route between Sudbury and Winnipeg, just with a transfer required.

16 hours ago, Articulated said:

Ontario Northland currently operates as far as White River. Kasper Transportation (mentioned three posts above) is extending their route out to meet ONTC in White River. So there will be a route between Sudbury and Winnipeg, just with a transfer required.

A Hearst-Longlac route could also provide another interconnect with Kasper

https://gokasper.com/bus/scheduled-bus-routes/

• 1 month later...