London Transit Commission

GM artic 5001

Anyone have any information about the buses off Dundas? I believe LTC wanted to push it from September 2017 to April 2018, but there still hasn’t been any construction for a bus terminal area that would be  needed for it. There also hasn’t been much talk of it in the media..

Haven't seen much on it since the service plan. Maybe an update at next week's meeting.

I don't think there's initially as much construction as you're thinking, just moving post and signage infrastructure. I'm sure a list has been put together for the canopy shelters that are now in use and where they may fit within the pedestrian right of ways.

I think a lot of it has to do with where and when the City is looking at doing roadway construction and relation to doing BRT construction in the near future. Doesn't make sense to move buses and then be stuck when they close King to accommodate BRT construction. Not sure how much has to change on the schedules in terms of running times, layover changes, bathroom locations, etc, but there's the trickle down to make sure everything is printed, updated digitally, signup for the Operators is ready which means they should be starting soon if not already.

The live arrival signs are getting up there in age, curious to see what they do with them as the cost to move them might be prohibitive with new technology offerings available. 

Edit: Meeting is Nov 1, not next week.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 9:56 AM, Wilkuro said:

Haven't seen much on it since the service plan. Maybe an update at next week's meeting.

I don't think there's initially as much construction as you're thinking, just moving post and signage infrastructure. I'm sure a list has been put together for the canopy shelters that are now in use and where they may fit within the pedestrian right of ways.

I think a lot of it has to do with where and when the City is looking at doing roadway construction and relation to doing BRT construction in the near future. Doesn't make sense to move buses and then be stuck when they close King to accommodate BRT construction. Not sure how much has to change on the schedules in terms of running times, layover changes, bathroom locations, etc, but there's the trickle down to make sure everything is printed, updated digitally, signup for the Operators is ready which means they should be starting soon if not already.

The live arrival signs are getting up there in age, curious to see what they do with them as the cost to move them might be prohibitive with new technology offerings available. 

Edit: Meeting is Nov 1, not next week.

For some reason I had felt this was a permanent change. I hadn't recognized that this was related to how Dundas would have to look for in time for BRT.

On 11/10/2017 at 9:04 PM, newflyerinvero said:

For some reason I had felt this was a permanent change. I hadn't recognized that this was related to how Dundas would have to look for in time for BRT.

It is a permanent change as the City wants to create a barrier free, flex street and believes buses are an 'issue'. Also, the infrastructure underneath is in need of replacement/upgrades. 

'Dundas Place' and 'Shift' are two separate projects, but will quite the impact on conventional services during construction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rode 141 today, and it got a complete interior overhaul. All the seats were replaced (see pic attached). The ‘Priority seats’ were also replaced, and are the same as on the 5xx buses indicating they’re priority seats. The interior layout was also changed- no more forward-facing seats (same layout as on 161-170). Not sure if/when other buses will follow

8AFF8CFE-2EB0-410E-BC71-0F9D90FCCB1F.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018-02-01 at 3:32 PM, yrt1000 said:

Rode 141 today, and it got a complete interior overhaul. All the seats were replaced (see pic attached). The ‘Priority seats’ were also replaced, and are the same as on the 5xx buses indicating they’re priority seats. The interior layout was also changed- no more forward-facing seats (same layout as on 161-170). Not sure if/when other buses will follow

8AFF8CFE-2EB0-410E-BC71-0F9D90FCCB1F.jpeg

145 has gotten the same treatment. Here’s a look at what the priority seating area looks like. I don’t believe the rest of the bus has been refurbished, however

E575BCB5-83CB-40C3-BF6C-45E95315FA01.jpeg

12 hours ago, Chris W said:

So essentially, they've made it nearly useless.

Yep. It’s actually garbage. Hopefully they take into account the feedback people are giving them. And I’d encourage all of us to do the same

Edit: I was wondering..hopefully the person who runs Transsee could add LTC to it? 

• 2 weeks later...

Found London Transit 59, which is located along Highway 3 in Cayuga. I haven't been able to find any documentation on this unit, any pictures, or even an entry in the wiki. I was hoping to find at least 1 photo of it intact. It currently still has it's powertrain, a few standee windows, the teardrop glass next to the remains of the front door. And all 6 tyres with rims. Is there any known story as to why this bus is located behind a small abandoned church in the middle of nowhere, forgotten and decayed? I'd like to know more if possible.

Thanks,

Bill

6a SMALL.jpg

7a SMALL.jpg

10a SMALL.jpg

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Billster8724 said:

Found London Transit 59, which is located along Highway 3 in Cayuga. I haven't been able to find any documentation on this unit, any pictures, or even an entry in the wiki. I was hoping to find at least 1 photo of it intact. It currently still has it's powertrain, a few standee windows, the teardrop glass next to the remains of the front door. And all 6 tyres with rims. Is there any known story as to why this bus is located behind a small abandoned church in the middle of nowhere, forgotten and decayed? I'd like to know more if possible.

Thanks,

Bill

6a SMALL.jpg

7a SMALL.jpg

10a SMALL.jpg

1971 T6H-4521. Serial C230. I wonder if there were many older buses that made it to the Commission era.

Just a reminder to the transit fans ... the last day to get your photos on Dundas St. in the downtown core is April 28th.  As of the 29th all buses will be permanently moved to King and Queens as Dundas is ripped up for the city's "Dundas Place" project.

UPDATE: While the official date remains April 29th ... the city is closing and beginning construction on April 4th.

• 2 months later...

Pardon the bump,
I hadn't been able to see any documents on London's next bus purchase. Any information on replacing the next oldest artics, which are 2008 models, or would they be retired at the same year as the other 2008 D40LFs in 2020, presumably if that's the plan which is being used at a 12-year life cycle?
Lastly, any Londoners have any experiences to share with Dundas being closed to all traffic? Different? Any drivers say anything regarding it?