London Transit Commission

GM artic 5001

On 12/23/2016 at 0:32 PM, Chris W said:

Those are 434 and 439, which have been parked in the tent at Highbury garage for a few years now.

On 12/23/2016 at 8:23 AM, yrt1000 said:

Passed by the garage this morning on the VIA train- looks like there's still at least two Inveros at the back of the garage, by what sorta looks like a tent. Any news on if these are being sold to another city? Or just awaiting scrap?

Actually the two you saw were 426 and 436 (sitting out of the tent by the tracks). There are still over a dozen inveros sitting around the property. Some may be sold, most will probably end up in scrap eventually. 

4 hours ago, Aztek985 said:

Actually the two you saw were 426 and 436 (sitting out of the tent by the tracks). There are still over a dozen inveros sitting around the property. Some may be sold, most will probably end up in scrap eventually. 

Thanks for clearing that up. Are 434 and 439 still inside the tent with the historical vehicles?

On 2016-12-29 at 10:18 AM, yrt1000 said:

This is the first I've heard of it. Starting in the new year, kids 12 and under can ride LTC for free. 

Interesting. I know the TTC has the same policy where kids 12 and under can ride for free. To help attract people to transit even though Fanshawe and University of Western Ontario already have transit passes included in their tuition fees for current full-time students. A big revenue generator especially for those that are stuck paying the fee, but don't use the service. 

Like the universal bus pass in other transit agencies too. 

More streamlined with smart cards in existence. No longer the need to show identification unless the person looks older than 12 or trying to use a different fare class they are not intended to use. Adult using a child concession as an example. Then the transit operator will request the difference be paid between the concession attempted to be used and the regular ticket price. 

Hopefully it will work out for them in their favour. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Wilkuro said:

^^^The final recommendations for the 2017 Service Plan should be posted on the LTC website at some point tomorrow. Curious to see what they'll be doing.

Hallelujah! 90 Express service on weekends! That route is light years faster than the 13 Wellington, and we won't even talk about the 13A, haha. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, newflyerinvero said:

Interesting changes but I still cannot believe that they are going ahead with the plan to remove buses from Dundas Street in the downtown area. Talk about an insane plan which will no doubt kill the downtown more than it already is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Seashore_518203 said:

Interesting changes but I still cannot believe that they are going ahead with the plan to remove buses from Dundas Street in the downtown area. Talk about an insane plan which will no doubt kill the downtown more than it already is.

Also, aren't King and Queen both extremely tight streets at the best of times?

Mind you, the last time I got photos at Dundas and Richmond, I wound up almost swept up in someone else's fistfight.

41 minutes ago, Chris W said:

Also, aren't King and Queen both extremely tight streets at the best of times?

Mind you, the last time I got photos at Dundas and Richmond, I wound up almost swept up in someone else's fistfight.

King St (e/b) and Queens Ave (w/b)  are certainly wide enough.  The question though is how they will deal with the much larger number of routes needing to access the existing stops, unless the stops are going to be lengthened.   London may have already lost the battle with its downtown core, particularly south of Queens along Richmond to Horton.  As a former resident, sorry to see that happening.    Like Seashore, I really question the removal of buses on Dundas and the impact it could have on the smaller retailers remaining there between Wellington and Ridout.

• Like 1

I think the problem with downtown London is the fact that so many groups of people (I.e. university students) avoid the downtown core like the plague, viewing it as too 'sketchy' or unsafe and whatever else. Believe me, many I know have never ventured off the campus due to this fear.  Downtown London certainly has a sketchy vibe at times. But I frequently visit the area, and I have never been bothered by anyone. The only way to really change the atmosphere is to being more people to the area, those who normally avoid it, essentially to "balance" it out.

I too believe turning Dundas into a pesdestrian-friendly street will be pointless, but at the very least, any sort of event along the street would give people an incentive to go there and take in what downtown London has to offer, such as Covent Garden Market. Maybe people will see it's not as bad as it is said to be, especially if there's major revitalization in the area down the road.

EDIT: I guess this doesn't really have anything to do with the transit commission, but it's just my opinion on the downtown core of the city and how to change it.

So Council has forced buses off Dundas and now Administration is putting a 'cycle track' on Queens.

https://www.london.ca/residents/Roads-Transportation/Transportation-Choices/Pages/Cycle-Track.aspx

That should mix well with the thousands of boardings and de-boardings that will now take place for the 10+ routes that serve between Wellington and Ridout. Wonder how they'll deal with accessibility features from the proposed raised platforms? curb cuts for everyone! How will visually impaired transit riders deal with the crossing? Are cyclists expected to stop when pedestrians are moving between the platform and sidewalk? People have a habit of only looking one way when walking out to cross King.

There's lots of cars that make the right turn off Queens to Richmond, especially during the PM peak and now they have to deal with elevated levels of pedestrians, bus traffic and two-way cycle lane as well.    

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about the London BRT in terms of its east/west route. I know about the north/south one along Wellington & Richmond (White Oaks Mall/Masonville/UWO).
Is this east/west line along Dundas or Oxford and will its eastern terminous be at Fanshawe College or Argyle Mall?
I remember seeing something a day or two ago and I can't find the link that is talking about having the east/west line terminate at Argyle rather then Fanshawe College.

On 2017-04-29 at 1:33 PM, newflyerinvero said:

I see those 'stop BRT' signs everywhere across the city. Also, a lot of businesses on Richmond Row have posters against the proposed tunnel for the BRT in that area, which they believe will kill their businesses. 

Unfortunately, this city has been built for the car. Narrow roads make biking or adding bus lanes impossible. Sidewalks right next to the roadway, having cars pass you a few inches away,makes walking feel unsafe. Everything in the city being so far apart makes taking the bus a pain. I think something absolutely has to be done to alleviate the gridlock in the city. Try driving on Oxford between Richmond and Platts Lane during rush hours. Richmond from the University to Masonville mall. Western Road from the university to Oxford. Guarantee you won't be getting very far during PM rush hours. Something has to be done about it, and regardless of what the city chooses to do for rapid transit, let's not change it all if/when a new city council is elected (a la Toronto)

16 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

I'm curious about the London BRT in terms of its east/west route. I know about the north/south one along Wellington & Richmond (White Oaks Mall/Masonville/UWO).

Is this east/west line along Dundas or Oxford and will its eastern terminous be at Fanshawe College or Argyle Mall?

I remember seeing something a day or two ago and I can't find the link that is talking about having the east/west line terminate at Argyle rather then Fanshawe College.

Last I remember it was Wonderland/Oxford as the west terminus, east along Oxford to Wharncliffe, to Riverside, to Ridout, to King (meeting the 'L' route at Clarence), to Wellington and south to White Oaks. Believe going back was reverse of mentioned. For the eastern leg Mansonville, down Richmond, to Western, through campus by Alumni, out to Richmond to the tunnel. Down to King and this is where it gets hazy because I know when LRT was being discussed they had WB on King and EB on Dundas, they merge back together to Highbury and up to Oxford into/out front of Fanshawe College, reverse via same routing.

So happy I'm out of London. Down Shift keeps spewing facts that are twisted to suit their needs, the the Downtown BIA and Covent Garden got what they wanted in buses off Dundas (now Covent Gardens is not happy with the plan....where did they expect the buses to go?), realtors who suggest properties being devalued because of Rapid Transit, have they looked any where else? York Region sure seems to be suffering from a lack of development along Viva routes, ZUM, Pulse, Ion.........zero development, etc, etc, autonomous vehicle lovers who think the technology is coming out and therefore nothing will be the same (as if the technology will be adopted immediately......by everyone), those who complain that it's a waste of tax payer dollars and that it's all coming out of the same wallet, here's a 'shocker' the infrastructure money is there, already a line item, if London doesn't want it I'm sure the GTA can make use of it. And, I know.....I know monorails have put Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook on the map, but it is not a flippin' solution for London. Sorry for the rant. Reading LFP comments section and stories gives me nose bleeds.

An BRT will return up to $4 per every $1 invested in it while an LRT will see $8-$14 for new development. LRT will drive faster development than a BRT and this depends on systems and where it happens. Some BRT have see development happen sooner than later.

I know of someone in London who said they are lost at what being proposed, but will not effect them.

I can't comment much on the routes since I don't spend that much time there in the first place, but LRT would be nice to see, but BRT is the way to go at this time.

Unless a BRT is in its own ROW, going to suck in mix traffic. I rode Detroit QLine streetcar line on Friday first day of operation that is 100% in mix traffic and slower than a bus.

If you want to put in good Rapid Transit, the cars have to go regardless the bitching over it. Cities were built for people, not cars.

I was rereading my post two above and the comment around development was meant to be totally facetious, all the mentioned systems have spurred development and intensification.

I would place a bet that those on Richmond Row do not yet realize that with their 'victory' on the tunnel front, there will still be construction and the loss of two travelled lanes.

drum118, one of Londons biggest issues is the low growth rate, approximately 1% per year. Even with an approximate 20 year horizon, growth with more centralized development would still now warrant the ridership required for LRT.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-05-09 at 3:17 PM, Wilkuro said:

So happy I'm out of London. Down Shift keeps spewing facts that are twisted to suit their needs, the the Downtown BIA and Covent Garden got what they wanted in buses off Dundas (now Covent Gardens is not happy with the plan....where did they expect the buses to go?)

Amen to that!  The Downtown crowd always mystified me. 

London's biggest problem is everyone wants to make lots and lots of money, but lets not grow up and be a big city.  We want the economic boom of a metropolis, but be a small town from the 60's. 

14 hours ago, MCI Classic said:

The new Xcelsiors are starting to show up at Highbury. The newest batch of XD40s is now being numbered 501 and up, so far 506 is the highest one delivered.

OMG! A new numbering series! Who screwed up? <sarcasm off>