London Transit Commission

GM artic 5001

There is a proposal to have a hybrid network of rapid transit through buses and light rail transit if approved and the required funding is provided.

http://www.am980.ca/2015/11/04/64294/

Considering that other places are building light rail transit lines such as Hurontario-Main line in Brampton and Mississauga, Eglinton, Finch West and Sheppard East in Toronto and ION line in Waterloo region, I think it would be a big mistake if they don't approve the proposal.

There is a proposal to have a hybrid network of rapid transit through buses and light rail transit if approved and the required funding is provided.

http://www.am980.ca/2015/11/04/64294/

Considering that other places are building light rail transit lines such as Hurontario-Main line in Brampton and Mississauga, Eglinton, Finch West and Sheppard East in Toronto and ION line in Waterloo region, I think it would be a big mistake if they don't approve the proposal.

This would bring in big investment to London that is much needed

I've been looking at London since this announcement - what about Kitchener-Waterloo style light rail along the heavy rail track from the VIA station (or thereabouts) to the airport? The Guelph sub could be diverted east of the airport to meet the Dundas sub which is somewhat the long way round but without grade crossings could have higher track speed.

I think on street service would get higher ridership which would be more beneficial.I think on street service would get higher ridership which would be more beneficial.

this would be as part of a network not either or. And that line crosses a lot of streets!

• 2 weeks later...

When a lot of buses finish their last runs, they then display 'GARAGE' instead of the usual 'Sorry, Not in Service' that is seen in other transit systems. Does this mean that you can ride the bus as it heads to the garage and get off somewhere along the route (like you can for TTC streetcars as they head back to the car house)? I was asking because the roads taken back to the garage are listed in every schedule, and also when the doors open, the external speakers say 'To the Garage'

Now granted, I have never seen a person on a bus while it is displaying 'Garage', but maybe it's just because people don't know that you can ride them? (If this is the case of course)

Some interesting info on the LTC website concerning the 2016 bus purchases, under the last year of the New Flyer multi-year agreement. Apparently there was a US-Canada exchange rate adjustment factor in the agreement, which has kicked in as a result of the decline in the C$ vs US$. There is an increase from previously contracted prices of approx. 6.5% - from $502k to $535k for each of the 14 XD40s, and from $802k to $853k fpr the one XD60 to be ordered.

Of the 15 new buses, 14 are replacements and there is one for expansion.

Correct me if I am wrong, but throughout this year, I have never once seen a bus numbered 365. The highest one I have seen and been on is 364. I have been looking on the Webwatch the past week and I have not once seen it listed in service. Are we sure that 365 exists?

Correct me if I am wrong, but throughout this year, I have never once seen a bus numbered 365. The highest one I have seen and been on is 364. I have been looking on the Webwatch the past week and I have not once seen it listed in service. Are we sure that 365 exists?

There is no 365, it does not exist.

When a lot of buses finish their last runs, they then display 'GARAGE' instead of the usual 'Sorry, Not in Service' that is seen in other transit systems. Does this mean that you can ride the bus as it heads to the garage and get off somewhere along the route (like you can for TTC streetcars as they head back to the car house)? I was asking because the roads taken back to the garage are listed in every schedule, and also when the doors open, the external speakers say 'To the Garage'

Now granted, I have never seen a person on a bus while it is displaying 'Garage', but maybe it's just because people don't know that you can ride them? (If this is the case of course)

Yes you can ride back to the garage but it all depends on the driver. Some of the operators won't let you ride back & will display "Not In Service" so they don't have to pick anyone up.

Also, 325 is this year's holiday bus. I will try to get a picture of it next time I see it

This year's design is very sharp. It is definitely one of the better ones.

I heard that there is also a bus wrapped for the Argyle Mall Santa Claus parade that has Christmas decorations all over it. Does anybody know the number of this bus? Thanks.

Yes it does look very good. I just haven't been able to get a picture of it quick enough.

As you mentioned, there are several XD40s with that Santa Claus parade ads on them, but they're not full wraps, only on the driver's side half of the bus. The ones I know for sure are 320, 321 and 322. Again, if I get a chance I'll take a picture

• 4 weeks later...

Highest fleet number of XD40s is up to 360 as I had seen it while in London over New Year's and over the weekend. Keep in mind that this sighting was on December 30th. I'm not sure if this recent order of XD40s (and D60) are all based out of Highbury or Wonderland garages as I haven't seen Webwatch in a long while.
Rode 356 on the 15/21 back on Monday. Its ride essentially was like any ride on a 2013/14 XD40. Nothing too spectacular.

Highest fleet number of XD40s is up to 360 as I had seen it while in London over New Year's and over the weekend. Keep in mind that this sighting was on December 30th. I'm not sure if this recent order of XD40s (and D60) are all based out of Highbury or Wonderland garages as I haven't seen Webwatch in a long while.

Rode 356 on the 15/21 back on Monday. Its ride essentially was like any ride on a 2013/14 XD40. Nothing too spectacular.

should be up to 365, I saw 362 yesterday on the 6

No. Highest number is 364, which has been here since September. All based out of Wonderland garage, and you're right. Essentially the exact same as the previous order

The next order of buses should be from 365 up (wiki is incorrect. The last order of buses was 348-364 only)

No. Highest number is 364, which has been here since September. All based out of Wonderland garage, and you're right. Essentially the exact same as the previous order

The next order of buses should be from 365 up (wiki is incorrect. The last order of buses was 348-364 only)

Thanks for clarifying this.

So . . . the 2016 order should be numbered 365-378 for the 14 XD40s, and the one XD60 on order should be number 33.

There is no 365, it does not exist.

Yes, 365-378. Thanks to MCI Classic for confirming. I was looking for several weeks for a bus numbered 365 to no avail since I saw it listed on the wiki, and would've been looking for another year until it would've showed up! Haha

I believe it was posted those buses would all be replacement units, so unfortunately no service improvements for the upcoming year. Make sure to get your last rides on the Inveros!

Some news to share. Phase 2 of LTC's smart card system will be starting next month (February), meaning paper monthly passes will begin to be phased out, as people can now load them onto Smart Cards. Notices have been posted on all buses. I wonder how many people will switch to them next month.

I wouldn't be surprised if Phase 6 will be implemented by September. Btw, the phases of the smart card implementation can be found on the homepage of ltconline.ca

• 2 weeks later...

From my observations, 601-603 have not been in service since December. They may have been retired, though truthfully I don't think they're needed anyway. 10/14 has rarely artics, and neither does the 2C/6A interline, which is where I saw 601-603 the most. The only Highbury route (where 601-603 were based out of) that would need artics is route 27, and buses 21-23 are out there daily. Artics are also rarely out on weekends, and if so, they're only on route 13 Wellington.