London Transit Commission

GM artic 5001

All Orion VIs are supposed to be retired by the end of the year. Classics not until after the VIs.

Seeing now that most of the Orion VI's are retired, the worst of the worst Classics will start to retire. Get your London Transit Classic photo's now before they start trashing them next year.

Wait, because of the Invero engine change, from what I heard the VI CNG may even stay longer on the road until it's complete.

all CNG orion VI's and V's are gone!! Classics are being refitted with the new GPS radios with stop annoucements. All buses on the road now have the new Seimens "Transit Master" system

all CNG orion VI's and V's are gone!! Classics are being refitted with the new GPS radios with stop annoucements. All buses on the road now have the new Seimens "Transit Master" system

Should made myself fortunate to visit London before they are gone!

• 1 month later...

Have taken a look at their "Talking Bus" system. Very interesting, they are using the "American" style like Chicago that has interior display that shows the date and time. And the bus have speakers on the exterior, it announces the route and destination. The one on route 13 is quite lengthy on the talk.

Buschic is gonna love it if she plans to visit London for busfanning! It will add some noise pollution, which doesn't bother me, but it does the work!

In other news, 40 of 50 Invero are now have Cummins ISL retrofitted from Series 40, will soon to be done anyway. I did heard the engine taking off and it does sound like Cummins!

• 1 month later...
The MBS fleet list indicates that 1989 Classics number 217-222 aren't active. Were these buses retired when the 2008 D40LF's arrived? Anything serious happened to any of them to make them retire?

Those 89 Classic were retired sometimes 2006, and they were the oddball fleets as they have a different transmission which there's no point to continue to maintain.

Those 89 Classic were retired sometimes 2006, and they were the oddball fleets as they have a different transmission which there's no point to continue to maintain.

Most of 89 Classics retired long before 2006. 221 was the last survivor and I dunno if it finally got retired. 222 is part of 1990 Classic order.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a multi-questioned post in regards of me making a trip through London, hitting pretty much all of the major transfer points. My main reasoning is to see (and hear), the announcement system to see how it compares to Toronto's. I'll be taking the VIA there as I do'nt believe in Greyhound with their schedules making it 3 hours rather then 1.5 hours it actually takes from Burlington - London. That's a whole other rant I have. Anywho's....

Now, I was thinking things through recently and I had come up with this intinery to start:

Downtown to Westmount Shopping Centre

Westmount Shopping Centre to White Oaks Terminal/Shopping Centre

White Oaks to Argyle

Argyle to Masonville

Masonville to Fanshawe College

Fanshawe College to Downtown

Now, as far as times, I felt that I would need the entire day, seeing as with the VIA schedules, it'd give me from approxmiately 10am-8pm. Could I do all of that in 6 hours if I were to come into London at 2pm?

Additionally, I'd like to get a D60LF, D40LF, Invero, Classic.

Any information/help is certainly appreciated.

Depends on the day of the week you come considering the only time i really see a D60LF is on the 27 fanshawe which only does weekday service

D40LF are all over the place should be easy grabing some of them Classics are on all the non accessible routes ( well the ones they haven't specifically made into them yet )mostly see them on the 2 specially in rush hour. Inveros are usually on the 7 ,6 and 3, Also remember during weekend wait times are longer (30 min) id suggest trying to come on a weekday as then you should be able to catch one of those D60LF's by fanshawe.

I'm considering this Friday. It depends on weather mainly as I'd like to be comfortable with my fanning.

So from Westmount to White Oaks?

White Oaks to Argyle?

Argyle to Fanshawe College?

Fanshawe College to Masonville?

And finally, Maonsville to downtown.

Routes, directions and any other information's all I'm asking.

I'm considering this Friday. It depends on weather mainly as I'd like to be comfortable with my fanning.

So from Westmount to White Oaks? Take the 10 Wonderland Southbound

White Oaks to Argyle? - Hop on the 14 - Highbury eastbound/northbound (interlines with the 10 Wonderland I believe) And transfer onto the 2- Dundas at Dundas St. and go east (just past the level crossing)

Argyle to Fanshawe College? (17 - Oxford West. It runs through Argyle, and goes directly to Fanshawe) Take it northbound on Clarke Road

Fanshawe College to Masonville? Oooh..this is a tricky one. You'll have to transfer at least once. Let's see. For the highest frequency I would recommend hopping on the 17 - Oxford West or 4 - Oxford East. Get off at Adelaide Ave. Take the 16 - Adelaide Northbound, You'll end up at Masonville Mall

And finally, Maonsville to downtown. 13 - Wellington Road Southbound.

Routes, directions and any other information's all I'm asking.

Be warned. LTC buses only display the route number, not the direction or terminus of the route. So you better have a general idea of what way is north. London runs on a grid system, although it's not consistent, most major roads run in a north-south & east-west direction.

AND if you park at Westmount. Just hop on the 23 - Berkshire from downtown. It connects right to Westmount Mall directly. You can take the 11 - Southcrest as well. But I would recommend Berkshire. It runs through suburban neighbourhoods, and likely is the only minor route you will take. The rest of the buses listed above are all major arterial routes. So Berkshire will be a different type of route in alot of ways.

here is a complete route map for you if you are interested: http://londontransit.ca/Pubs/ride-guide.jpg

1. So from Westmount to White Oaks?

2. White Oaks to Argyle?

3. Argyle to Fanshawe College?

4. Fanshawe College to Masonville?

5. And finally, Maonsville to downtown.

1. 10 Wonderland, and make sure its heading south.

2. 14 Highbury until Dundas Street, then get off and transfer onto the 2 Dundas going east.

3. 17 Oxford West heading north.

4. 4 Oxford, and transfer to the 13 Wellington at Richmond Street, heading north (away from downtown).

5. 13 Wellington heading south. It's the stop closest to the mall for the 13, the other one heads northbound.

Additionally, I'd like to get a D60LF, D40LF, Invero, Classic.

There will always be a D60LF on the 27, and usually on the 33 (Monday to Friday). Additionally they will also turn up on the 2, 13, and 10, or wherever else their needed. D40LF are all over the place, and will be on most routes. Inveros will turn up on any route. They are assigned the same as the D40LFs and could be anywhere. Classics will mostly turn up at rush hour, on college and university trippers. However if they are in regular service your best bet are routes 13 and 4. They are not on every non-accessible route, most of those run D40LFs despite their designation (route 10/14 is a great example).

Be warned. LTC buses only display the route number, not the direction or terminus of the route. So you better have a general idea of what way is north. London runs on a grid system, although it's not consistent, most major roads run in a north-south & east-west direction.

While this is true for most runs, some do display the destination. Such as Route 10's heading to Masonville Mall, Route 2's heading southbound to Parkwood Hospital, all instances of the 2C display TO DOWNTOWN on the sign. Just a few examples.

Thank you very much, guys.

I should've also mentioned that my visual impairment wouldn't allow me to 'park' at Westmount. :lol: I know, I'm making fun of that comment, but who can't with what I have?

Anywho, a brief look at the site a few minutes ago showed me that there are bus detours in the downtown area, affecting the 2-Dundas, 4, 10, 13 and others within that area. I'm going to really have to take note where they're detouring. Otherwise, I should be ok.

If anyone has had experience with the announcement systems, could you shed light on what I should expect so that they could assist me further?

Thank you very much, guys.

I should've also mentioned that my visual impairment wouldn't allow me to 'park' at Westmount. :lol: I know, I'm making fun of that comment, but who can't with what I have?

Anywho, a brief look at the site a few minutes ago showed me that there are bus detours in the downtown area, affecting the 2-Dundas, 4, 10, 13 and others within that area. I'm going to really have to take note where they're detouring. Otherwise, I should be ok.

If anyone has had experience with the announcement systems, could you shed light on what I should expect so that they could assist me further?

Most if not all LTC buses now have automated exterior and interior announcements. As the bus pulls up it should say the route and direction. I'm not 100% sure about it though because I haven't actually ridden a LTC bus since the system came into place!

Most if not all LTC buses now have automated exterior and interior announcements. As the bus pulls up it should say the route and direction. I'm not 100% sure about it though because I haven't actually ridden a LTC bus since the system came into place!

Yes, it does. however, the audio levels are quite low, and the noise of the bus often drowns out the sound of the announcement. I actually last night gave them a suggestion to change their signage to what Hamilton has, with the route name and terminus of the route on the sign. They said they'll look into it and contact the planning department to see. I wouldn't have a clue what way is what if I was new in London, so a simple adjustment to the route signs would be a good idea.

I actually last night gave them a suggestion to change their signage to what Hamilton has, with the route name and terminus of the route on the sign. They said they'll look into it and contact the planning department to see. I wouldn't have a clue what way is what if I was new in London, so a simple adjustment to the route signs would be a good idea.

Agreed.

On a separate note, I was at Fanshawe College the Saturday before last to see their famous new GPS-enabled sign, but it wasn't working and was showing error messages. I called them, and they didn't know that it was broken, so I went back to check a week later and it wasn't even on. Anyone know if it's working now?

On a separate note, I was at Fanshawe College the Saturday before last to see their famous new GPS-enabled sign, but it wasn't working and was showing error messages. I called them, and they didn't know that it was broken, so I went back to check a week later and it wasn't even on. Anyone know if it's working now?

Depends on the unit.

So..today..me and newflyerinvero ended up on the VIA train..sitting right beside eachother WITHOUT knowing who we were exactly. I could figure it out kinda, had a suspicion, due to saying he couldn't drive, and was going to london for a few hours. Wow, that was interesting, and cool.

Hope you had fun today!

So..today..me and newflyerinvero ended up on the VIA train..sitting right beside eachother WITHOUT knowing who we were exactly. I could figure it out kinda, had a suspicion, due to saying he couldn't drive, and was going to london for a few hours. Wow, that was interesting, and cool.

Hope you had fun today!

Well, to summarize my day on Friday, it wasn't too bad. All in all, I had ridden every bus type except the D60. As far as what was around....

Inveros were all over the place, seeing quite a few of them were on the 20, 9 and even my last LTC bus ride, on the 2B Dundas at around 6pm out of Argyle Mall. Oh yes, an Invero also on the 30-Newbold (couldn't get the number).

The route 13 Wellington I was thinking would've been the best chance to get the D60. Not quite, but 288 was the alternative. It was behind 199 at White Oaks Mall.

Ok, for anyone who are regulars in London, could there be a suggestion to the planning department or at least to the city in somehow building a seperate terminal for all of the routes which serve that mall? Boy oh boy, trying to find the east side of the mall was, well, not as pleasant as what I've prepared myself to it to be. I may have had to go through the mall on the inside, only to come out at the wrong end, walk all the way to the Bay side. Ah well. It was a learning experience. At least I'll know where to go next time if I were to go down there again.

And my prime reason? Yes, the announcements. They were a bit of a lower tone overall but were audible. The visual displays of the announcements were being crawled across the display. Otherwise, the only info that appears is the date and time.

Example of the exterior announcement:

"13 Wellington Road, Northbound, to Downtown, University Of Western Ontario, St. Joseph's Hospital, Masonville Mall and Greenhill."

Well described, as I didn't even need to ask the driver where the bus was going as I got on it originally.

"4A Oxford East, Southbound to Downtown, White Oaks Mall."

Generally, that's what I was expecting. Well, the "Stop Requested." after the cord was pulled I wasn't expecting, though.

And as go_leafs_go02 mentioned, he was just as surprised as I to find out that we're members of the board. The first question he asked was about what I was doing. I only said that I was visiting friends, unaware of the CPTDB reference to come. Once he asked about posting to a board, well, that's how things got going.

Just goes to show that you could be anywhere and you could bump into a member at anytime, out-of-the-blue.

And as go_leafs_go02 mentioned, he was just as surprised as I to find out that we're members of the board. The first question he asked was about what I was doing. I only said that I was visiting friends, unaware of the CPTDB reference to come. Once he asked about posting to a board, well, that's how things got going.

Just goes to show that you could be anywhere and you could bump into a member at anytime, out-of-the-blue.

Actually, I had a general idea as soon as I sat down beside you on the train. You said you had vision problems online, and that made everything click. I wasn't going to ask you directly, but I kinda got the word out of you when I mentioned that this was Adelaide that we were going across, and you muttered, oh the 16. So that confirmed it for me.