BCT-3122-D800-10240

Calgary Transit CTrain Service Disruptions

On 10/1/2019 at 6:02 PM, Nick B said:

Just curious - to save money designing new stations in the future, and preventing stucco issues, would CT ever re-use a train station design for the new stations? Not that the Sunnyside/Lions Park/Banff Trail designs would look good on future NE or South extensions... but i was thinking, maybe the older stations such as Max Bell/Barlow, or Bridgeland and Frankin (with original and simple 80s designs), would be cheaper to build out, and with recycled plans (minus the bridges), could save CT millions with expansions. Especially with cookie cutter stations. 

On 10/13/2019 at 10:52 AM, armorand said:

Just curious - to save money designing new stations in the future, and preventing stucco issues, would CT ever re-use a train station design for the new stations? Not that the Sunnyside/Lions Park/Banff Trail designs would look good on future NE or South extensions... but i was thinking, maybe the older stations such as Max Bell/Barlow, or Bridgeland and Frankin (with original and simple 80s designs), would be cheaper to build out, and with recycled plans (minus the bridges), could save CT millions with expansions. Especially with cookie cutter stations. 

I'm not an architect, but I'll take Crowfoot and Tuscany stations as examples of why this may not be a good idea.

Only a few years apart, and superficially quite similar, there are still several changes in the design of both in order to accommodate their traffic demands. I don't have stats but from using it every day, Crowfoot is easily 2-3x as busy as Tuscany. Tuscany also does not have escalators, which from observation probably save hundreds of thousands in maintenance costs per year and CT probably wishes they'd done the same at Crowfoot, Dalhousie, etc.

12 minutes ago, chills_on_the_train said:

I'm not an architect, but I'll take Crowfoot and Tuscany stations as examples of why this may not be a good idea.

Only a few years apart, and superficially quite similar, there are still several changes in the design of both in order to accommodate their traffic demands. I don't have stats but from using it every day, Crowfoot is easily 2-3x as busy as Tuscany. Tuscany also does not have escalators, which from observation probably save hundreds of thousands in maintenance costs per year and CT probably wishes they'd done the same at Crowfoot, Dalhousie, etc.

But then you’ve got stations like Bridgeland and Franklin, which despite being virtually identical to Marlborough, Rundle, Whitehorn, don’t see much traffic at all compared to those stations. Then there’s Zoo and Barlow with their elaborate tunnel configurations which are even more dead.

3 hours ago, Nick B said:

But then you’ve got stations like Bridgeland and Franklin, which despite being virtually identical to Marlborough, Rundle, Whitehorn, don’t see much traffic at all compared to those stations. Then there’s Zoo and Barlow with their elaborate tunnel configurations which are even more dead.

Pretty much my point. Re-using designs to save money probably ended up costing more in the long run as far as capacity needs go. Although when building something as permanent as LRT you do need to take into account possible future development, and on my occasional trips out that way I do see Bridgeland increasing in density over time.

2 hours ago, chills_on_the_train said:

Passed a dead (no lights) SD160 consist stuck between Brentwood and Dalhousie this morning backing up the Red Line NB. I've been on a few of those that run into electrical and door problems, guess that's why they're going out for refurbs.

That was actually a broken down a refurb.

The SD160s are bulletproof. The only reason why they have been refurbed is because they have reached the middle of their life span and so they can run with the Series 8s. 

They also received a bit of an interior facelift and some modernizing.

They were never refurbed because of any technical issues.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

All the Blue Line shuttles today are Xcelciors, no artics sadly.

This seems to have been the norm for a lot recent planned weekend disruption shuttles. 

Now that Spring Gardens is the only bus garage open on weekends, it takes a lot more work to use artics for these shuttles - Vic Park needs to be opened up to dispatch and support the buses.  When VP was the 24/7 garage, it was much easier to send artics for CTrain replacement.

To be honest the crowds wouldn’t justify artics today anyways, 4 XD40’s during the day plus 2 floaters for the flames game tonight bringing the total to 6 should be well able to handle the crowds. 

• Like 1