CPTDB Wiki was recently upgraded! Please report any issues here.

BCT-3122-D800-10240

Calgary Transit CTrain Service Disruptions

5 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Uh oh. Train stopped on 7th Ave. due to some kind of accident, blocking 1 St. S.W. as well. 

4D7662BF-DCAE-4439-BD79-BC9EDC93123F.jpeg

Pedestrian vs train

• Sad 1

I must say I’m impressed with the communication during this disruption. There’s been 4 announcements in the last 10 minutes that I’ve been waiting at Somerset giving updates on the next train’s current location as well as its destination (there’s one train going Somerset-69 Street this afternoon). I don’t recall hearing this before!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nick B said:

I must say I’m impressed with the communication during this disruption. There’s been 4 announcements in the last 10 minutes that I’ve been waiting at Somerset giving updates on the next train’s current location as well as its destination (there’s one train going Somerset-69 Street this afternoon). I don’t recall hearing this before!

During a destruption sometimes they'll send trains from Saddletowne to Tuscany or 69th Street to Somerset or vice versa to help out the other lines.

As far as controlling the trains the objective during the evening rush hour is to get people out of the core.

It's very cool! Then the red and blue line designations get messed up... lol

For the Dalhousie-Tuscany leg of the CTrain today (planned service interruption for maintenance), there are two trainsets in operation: a three-car Series 9 train and a four-car Series 8 train. The two sets allow for a 12 minute headway on that portion of the line. Additionally, trains are only operating on the outbound track between Crowfoot and Dalhousie. (Southbound trains are crossing over immediately south of Crowfoot station.)

• Like 2

Looks like there’s an electrical problem between city hall and 39th Ave station. 

Trains are running on a single track.

16 hours ago, yvarushin said:

Looks like there’s an electrical problem between city hall and 39th Ave station. 

Trains are running on a single track.

Seems to be happening regularly, lately. Maybe they should try and book a weekend off the system to focus on that section of track again, before winter arrives?

16 minutes ago, yvarushin said:

They should have just shut down the entire South leg of the Red Line on the September long weekend haha.

Maybe shut down the entire system and give the bus operators extra time-and-a-half while we're at it, too. 😂

But seriously, I'm surprised they never do maintenance work late at night, like in between 11pm-5am. Would minimize disruptions if overnight work was used, particularly on the tunnels.

47 minutes ago, armorand said:

But seriously, I'm surprised they never do maintenance work late at night, like in between 11pm-5am. Would minimize disruptions if overnight work was used, particularly on the tunnels.

Larger cities do that, but I’d imagine that would cost a lot more labour wise.

2 hours ago, armorand said:

Happens alot more then you think....

2 hours ago, armorand said:

They actually do but very limited with the amount of time they have to complete the work

1 hour ago, Nick B said:

Larger cities do that, but I’d imagine that would cost a lot more labour wise.

True, would cost more - but in the future, would prevent loss of weekend train service, if the lines ever get busy to the point where shutting down segments may cause significant issues. Of course, would probably only need to worry about that if Calgary: 

a) fills up Downtown with thousands of workers again, and

b) they decide to either let more suburbs expand outward, with little to no job and economic expansion, or

c) $200+ oil

Still got time (obvs, especially on C), but thought I'd throw the idea out there. Haha

2 minutes ago, LRT said:

They actually do but very limited with the amount of time they have to complete the work

I've been on some of the late night train rides through the South, never saw crews or anything in the tunnels or on the tracks. Unsure about NW and NE due to lack of train service/fear of being stuck in the NE after 2am, but West i could see happening with Westbrook right there, and Sunalta. Always been curious if they do overnight repairs and maintenance. 

Especially because if Calgary Transit happens to be hiring welders for maintenance and repairs, i could really use a job and would be really happy to apply for such a position, if it came up. That too. 😛

15 hours ago, armorand said:

I've been on some of the late night train rides through the South, never saw crews or anything in the tunnels or on the tracks. Unsure about NW and NE due to lack of train service/fear of being stuck in the NE after 2am, but West i could see happening with Westbrook right there, and Sunalta. Always been curious if they do overnight repairs and maintenance. 

The scenarios above are almost a nightly thing.

3 hours ago, CTrainDude said:

Look at the series of train - that should tell you all you need to know....

If it was a U2 they would have unloaded at the platform! Lol

Looks like they unloaded on the wrong side of the train.. I would have made sure they would have unloaded to the center of the guideway. At least that's what they told me back in the day in training.

Train traffic would have held until everyone was clear anyway.

• Like 1