Calgary Transit CTrain Service Disruptions

10 hours ago, downbeat said:

Also, just came across this social media post from Friday morning. The shuttle looks a bit too full, given the current situation …

I was there at the same time this photo was taken. This was caused because whoever was driving 8240 decided to pull away about two seconds before the doors on the train unlocked. Had he waited, there would've been a normal number of people on 8230, and the rest of us wouldn't have had to wait for 8234

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, downbeat said:

Ah, that explains it! Still, for drivers’ and passengers’ safety, everyone might want to brush up on current protocols …

Agreed. For the record, 8234 loaded the rest of us and then shut the doors and wouldn't allow anyone else on (it was full seated with the new seating policy)

• Like 1

2438 taken out of service at Somerset, this afternoon. Not sure why, but then again, I walked into the traincar & smelled nothing but what smelled like feces, with a cleaner at the front seat and an LRT operator with a look of disgust on his face... after that, he got into the operator area, turned on the P.A system and told everyone to get off. 

4 hours ago, Blake M said:

Agreed. For the record, 8234 loaded the rest of us and then shut the doors and wouldn't allow anyone else on (it was full seated with the new seating policy)

I've noticed that trend alot at Somerset & Chinook as well, drivers taking off before people getting off the trains even have a chance to transfer. Not just during virus times either, but in general. My commute would be 60 minutes and less, if the 406 to 302, to 43/149/MT transfers were aligned. 

1 hour ago, armorand said:

2438 taken out of service at Somerset, this afternoon. Not sure why, but then again, I walked into the traincar & smelled nothing but what smelled like feces, with a cleaner at the front seat and an LRT operator with a look of disgust on his face... after that, he got into the operator area, turned on the P.A system and told everyone to get off. 

CT tweeted that it was a "contamination issue", but deleted it soon afterwards to replace it with the more typical generic "CPS issue" and "earlier issue".

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TimmyC62 said:

CT tweeted that it was a "contamination issue", but deleted it soon afterwards to replace it with the more typical generic "CPS issue" and "earlier issue".

Ew... but yeah, was really not impressed. I once rode a bus back in Winnipeg, and someone did the same... contamination, to one of the front seats. People should treat public transit better. Unless a literal baby made a boom boom, theres just no excuses for it.

Then again too, the virus shutting down most public places has also removed tons of public washrooms from public use... so its even worse ?

I'm curious, has CT considered public washroom facilities at the busier stations? Or at least, the terminal stations and midpoints (Westbrook, Brentwood, Rundle, Anderson) ? I know of the security & health problems... but having nowhere to go to the washroom, especially when everywhere else is closed, just exponentially worsens the situation. 

2 hours ago, downbeat said:

More maintenance this weekend.

I was also just thinking too, with all of those spare bus drivers from school/service cuts,  maybe CT is using this time towards LRT repairs/maintenance, while reassigning all of the spare drivers onto LRT replacement? 

3 hours ago, armorand said:

I was also just thinking too, with all of those spare bus drivers from school/service cuts,  maybe CT is using this time towards LRT repairs/maintenance, while reassigning all of the spare drivers onto LRT replacement? 

A bit doubtful on the idea that there is much for spare drivers, at least on weekends. There were numerous runs on various routes cut on both Saturday and Sunday last weekend, would expect more of the same this coming weekend. 

56 minutes ago, kevlo86 said:

A bit doubtful on the idea that there is much for spare drivers, at least on weekends. There were numerous runs on various routes cut on both Saturday and Sunday last weekend, would expect more of the same this coming weekend. 

It is very unlikely there will be any challenges with man power over the weekend. I can think of at least 2 operators that follow this board who state they have not turned a wheel yet this week...just sitting standby...

The official new signup started this past Monday, which essentially moves Weekday service to an enhanced Saturday Service, which significantly lowers the number of operators required for Weekdays (more then half), enabling more operators to be available on weekends.

The run cuts on the weekend prior to this occurred because the minimum commitment on weekdays was so high, due to the old signup that not only did they not have enough people to cover weekday commitment, they were unable to shift additional availability from weekdays to weekends, causing the cuts.

This has been rectified with the new signup and there should be no manpower issues moving forward. This signup accounts for worst case scenario for operator availability (such as a big increase in operators sick or isolating), and as a result, consists of a masssssive safety cushion.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, TimmyC62 said:

Anyone know if any trains or buses took hail damage from the weekend?

None that i am aware of but ill scout my sources....ugh alot of them are laid off:(...Infact, the only damage i know of was some washed out ballast on the NE line near Martindale.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

They seemed to be all XD40s today, no 8000s or any of that stuff from the looks of it.  The shuttles were pretty empty.  Besides me and my friend who were on one of the shuttles, there was only one other rider.  Most of the other shuttles going northbound seemed to have less than 5 passengers onboard.

5 hours ago, TechSpotlight said:

They seemed to be all XD40s today, no 8000s or any of that stuff from the looks of it.  The shuttles were pretty empty.  Besides me and my friend who were on one of the shuttles, there was only one other rider.  Most of the other shuttles going northbound seemed to have less than 5 passengers onboard.

Lots of people gone for the long weekend