Calgary Transit CTrain Service Disruptions

Interesting closure coming up next weekend:

Over the weekend of June 8-9, the southbound platform (towards downtown) will be closed at Sunnyside Station. Trains departing southbound from Tuscany will not stop at Sunnyside, however trains departing northbound from Somerset-Bridlewood will stop at Sunnyside.

There are two options to reach Sunnyside Station if you’re traveling from the north:

• Shuttle bus: Get off the train at Lions Park Station and catch the shuttle bus to Sunnyside Station. Shuttles will run every 5 minutes.
  • CTrain: Take the train downtown, then transfer back on a northbound train to Sunnyside Station.

Why is single tracking necessary?

We are doing platform coating on the southbound platform at Sunnyside Station.

1 hour ago, Nick B said:

I'll be interested to see what size of bus will be used for that shuttle service. And if anyone will even take it in the Sunnyside-Lions Park direction.

I'm assuming 40 foot buses? But then again they said shuttles will be every 5 minutes so I feel like they could get away with Arbocs if they really wanted to.

It’s likely that the majority of Blue line shuttles were cut from regular runs in the area - this was unplanned, and it’s faster than waiting for buses from Dispatch. It’s likely they don’t have any standbys sitting around on a Sunday afternoon. 

I think the XD60s referred to were on the scheduled Red Line shuttle.

• Like 1

Uh oh, there’s been another disruption, this time on the Red Line late Sunday night. I imagine it must have been complicated to manage, seeing how there was already a scheduled Red Line closure south of City Hall.

8 hours ago, downbeat said:

Uh oh, there’s been another disruption, this time on the Red Line late Sunday night. I imagine it must have been complicated to manage, seeing how there was already a scheduled Red Line closure south of City Hall.

Speaking from experience, closures and disruptions that late at night make it impossible to get home sometimes. One night a couple years ago I was at Brentwood trying to get to Crowfoot make the last 199 after work, but a train had hit a car downtown. After about half an hour, the train got moving, but then hit another car leaving downtown! I ended up having to take an expensive cab home after about 90 minutes of waiting because there ended up being no train and no replacement bus. And it wasn't the only time that's happened. I know it's not transits fault when it happens, but it would be nice for the city to work something out with Checker or Uber so that disruptions like those don't end up costing transit riders.

4 minutes ago, Blake M said:

Speaking from experience, closures and disruptions that late at night make it impossible to get home sometimes. One night a couple years ago I was at Brentwood trying to get to Crowfoot make the last 199 after work, but a train had hit a car downtown. After about half an hour, the train got moving, but then hit another car leaving downtown! I ended up having to take an expensive cab home after about 90 minutes of waiting because there ended up being no train and no replacement bus. And it wasn't the only time that's happened. I know it's not transits fault when it happens, but it would be nice for the city to work something out with Checker or Uber so that disruptions like those don't end up costing transit riders.

That really sucks! Sorry to hear that happening to you especially so late at night when there's not much options and it's so difficult for transit to help everyone. Have you spoke to customer service regarding that inconvenience?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LRT said:

That really sucks! Sorry to hear that happening to you especially so late at night when there's not much options and it's so difficult for transit to help everyone. Have you spoke to customer service regarding that inconvenience?

This was a couple years ago and I figured I was SOL anyways. I didn't blame transit anyways it was just frustrating because even if they could get me to Crowfoot, feeder buses would've already left. There's no winning cause it's not like they can have feeder buses wait an extra half an hour.

10 minutes ago, Blake M said:

This was a couple years ago and I figured I was SOL anyways. I didn't blame transit anyways it was just frustrating because even if they could get me to Crowfoot, feeder buses would've already left. There's no winning cause it's not like they can have feeder buses wait an extra half an hour.

Sometimes they actually hold those feeder buses especially if there's a late last train.

But how are people to know..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LRT said:

Sometimes they actually hold those feeder buses especially if there's a late last train.

But how are people to know..

Transit could tell people, for one. ;) 

I didn't know about the late-night signalled trips from downtown, for instance, until some random guy explained it to me years ago, when I started taking the bus.