Calgary Transit CTrain Service Disruptions

The 2200s' doors seem to be increasingly buggy about closing. Several times I was on 2200s that had door issues. One, at Sunnyside SB, a door on the first car cycled open and shut, the operator went back and did something to close it. At the nest stop, 8th Street SW, that door closed properly. On another trip, a door on another car acted up at Whitehorn and again at Rundle, then was OK. There were plenty of other robo-lady announcements about one or more doors being open.

Nine times out of ten the doors actually work very well on those cars. They did go through a new software change a year or so ago.

The new software includes the photo cell beam to timeout after 18 seconds to become inactive. That way if someone's bag is in front of the beam it won't cause the door to stay open it will just close. The sensitive door edges are still active until the doors are completely closed. 

Here's another unique one (at least for now, but maybe this is the new standard) with 15 minute headways on the express shuttles:

On the weekend of September 23-24 the following CTrain stations will be closed: Marlborough, Franklin, Barlow/Max Bell and Calgary Zoo. Shuttle buses will replace CTrain service to these stations.

There are three options for shuttle bus service during this closure:

• Station-to-Station Shuttle - stops at all stations between Whitehorn and Bridgeland, running every 10 minutes.
  • Whitehorn – City Hall Express - runs directly between Whitehorn and City Hall every 15 minutes.
  • Marlborough – City Hall Express – runs directly between Marlborough and City Hall every 15 minutes.

Maps of the closure and shuttle stops will be posted soon.

Why is this disruption necessary?

We’re doing several maintenance projects, including:

• Maintenance on the rail bed and a concrete slab replacement at Marlborough Station.
  • Replacing a traction power system component at Rundle Station.
  • Track adjustments at Franklin Station.
  • Roof repairs at Barlow and Zoo stations.

Articulated buses on both Local and Express red line shuttle today! 

Rode the Express shuttle straight to City Hall. Not very easy for me to give an opinion of it. It took the bus exactly 20 minutes to get to City Hall from Heritage, and I'm not sure how much time it really shaves off from the standard Local shuttle making all stops (waiting at the long red light at 61 Ave versus making that right turn to get into and out of Chinook station). The area around Chinook is very slow moving. 

Also, I didn't notice the Local shuttles making any clear indications that they stop at all stations (though I may be wrong), other than the subtle lack of "EXPRESS" flashing on the sign. Not sure if there would be a program for "LOCAL", or preferably (since we're in Calgary and not New York City) "ALL STATIONS".

5 minutes ago, Chinese Daniel said:

Why the Series 9 (S200) always is a Troublemaker?

Well I believe there was an issue with the catenary but not sure..... sounds like a sheer pin may of broke to cause the pantagraph to drop... but again not sure 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Nick B said:

I'm hearing reports of a "door issue" causing major delays on both lines this morning. Any info on what went wrong and how?

Door malfunctions happen almost on a daily basis and during rush hour it takes 60 Seconds to create delays on 7th Avenue.

Sometimes the door just plain old refuses to close and the door has to be turned off and manually shut closed. Sometimes even though all the doors are closed you still have a door fault and the train is not going to go anywhere and becomes a bit more difficult, in that case typically the train is put out of service put an emergency drive and driven out of the to way C-track or the 11th Street yard. 

My favorite one is operator error when the operator has no idea what to do and asks control how to troubleshoot it taking longer than usual.

Another issue can be a ramp stuck down it happens from time to time... another time killer.

In any event downtown on 7th Avenue we have an on-duty electro mechanic on standby (rail 40) that sits in van waiting for c-train armageddon to begin. He is definitely our savior on 7th Avenue and gets things moving sooner than later.

When a train has a door issue they can most definitely be problematic. Typically the operator will try to troubleshoot it without calling it in causing delays. In the time the operator calls in the issue control calls rail 40 to make his way to the broken down train saving tons of time. 

The s200 have the capability of deactivating the problem door from the cab. Comes in handy if you know how to use it if not the operator is required to deactivate the door from the affected door.

For me it takes me 2 minutes to fix a door and to get going. I'm a pro!?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LRT said:

Ah... so there's more to it. Cool! I don't start until 1400 today

There were two issues this morning - one was power, then one mechanical. It was train door bank issues, then once out of service wasn’t able to make it up the hill to C-Track from the tunnel. 

• Thanks 1

Several downtown blocks closed, CTrain service disrupted, as glass falls from Brookfield Place again

The Calgary Police Service has closed a section of downtown Calgary to vehicles and pedestrians after glass rained down from a high-rise building during strong wind.

Shortly after 10:00 a.m., 7 Avenue was closed in the vicinity of 1 Street Southwest and 1 Street S.W was closed between 6 Avenue and Stephen Avenue.

Calgary Fire Department officials confirm the glass fell from a window in Brookfield Place. Two weeks ago, on Sunday, October 15, glass fell from a window in the same building to the streets below and roads were closed for several hours.

Calgary Transit has halted LRT service between the City Hall and 7 Street stations. Shuttle buses are transporting passengers around the closure. Shuttles for westbound Calgary transit passengers are running along 4 Avenue while eastbound buses are moving along 9 Avenue.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/several-downtown-blocks-closed-ctrain-service-disrupted-as-glass-falls-from-brookfield-place-again-1.3654081

• 3 weeks later...